By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ciaran Mac cormaic

Here is a list of all the postings Ciaran Mac cormaic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: clocks
21/08/2012 14:33:02

why not buy a clock in a pound shop and salvage the mechanism while discarding the rest ?

Thread: Wood glue
13/06/2012 11:02:18

Hi paul, polyurethene (gorilla) glue will expand to fill gaps but not with much additional strength.More to the point it will be ugly yellow foam and not hide imperfections so some form of coloured filler will be needed. Its great for destroying your fingerprints though.

Thread: Hurling Sticks
08/12/2009 13:38:29
"hurleys" are made from the root of the ash tree as they need to be flexible they shouldn`t be made on copy lathes unless for oramental purposes (for the yanks).They need to be shaped by hand after being roughed out on bandsaw. this is because they need to follow the grain so as not to break as easily.They still will get broken (perhaps 10 or more per hurling match ) accross your head,hands back and legs, hence the big demand. no self respecting hurler would use a mass produced hurley.
 Oddjob  Shinty is scottish but just as dangerous as hurling "appears" to be.
Thread: mitre saws
06/07/2009 12:14:00
never mind trading standards, consult a solicitor, if saw malfunctioned you should be entitled to claim, not to be litigious but it sounds like you got badly hurt and could have been a lot worse so just talk to a reputable solicitor and see what they say.go on post pics of hand, might make us all a bit more careful !
Thread: varnish
18/06/2009 14:08:05
hi robert, as eric says polyurethane can be thinned with white spirits, another trick is to heat it in a pot of hot water,like baby food, gr8 4 table-tops.

Thread: Bought a Record Hold Fast...
12/06/2009 11:04:02
surely you need to drill 1" holes as holdfast likes to be at a slight angle to get good hold ?
Thread: Ciaran's chair
30/05/2009 12:52:48
cheers sparky, no need to steam ribs for back, they were laminated from three 4mm strips of teak and glued on former.i dont know how well iroko takes to steaming,would 12mmx30mm strips bend sufficiently and hold shape ? just have to finish sanding and apply finish prob. yaght varnish as it will spend alot of time out doors, i`m not a fan of grey timber whether teak or cedar anyone else agree?
Thread: triton routre
20/05/2009 23:51:19
not so simple as can be turned, lots of little moving parts inside all broken will try link though cheers
20/05/2009 18:05:33
i was hoping to just be posting pics of outriggers but as you can see the router has suffered carnage. height adjustment handle "humpty-dumptied" where can i get replacement?

Thread: Sort out
15/05/2009 09:36:07
great idea with the soil connector , why not try top section of gulley trap for funnel? 
Thread: Ciran's work
14/05/2009 16:29:32
hi all , the paschal candle holder was commissioned for easter in memory of friends parents Tom and Anne Moore, recently deceased sacrestans .
it was laminated from ply, 1/4" in centre and 2.5mm mahgony veneered outside and edged with solid mahogongy.the top sections are turned from mahogony also.there is a copper plate on top (not shown) which waws pressure turned on concave face-plate on lathe.there is roofing lead laminated into base for stability. the cross is beech set into face as it looked very plain.
                         sorry i didn`t take more pics of work in progress (i always forget). the hardest part was cutting the two through-mortises with their compound bevels.these were done with pieces fixed to former . took about 3 hours but was woth it when the two crescents slide together perfectly OH THE INTERPENETRATION!
                        Sparky, the finish is just mahogony wood dye (to match veneer to darker solid wood) with sanding sealer and several coats of laquer.
                        Ralph, the design just came to me in a flash when i googled "paschal candle" and robbed it from "www.maritimewoodcarving.com"! tut tut
                        i have plenty more pics to upload but scanner is acting the maggot!i`ll get them up asap. The ash candlestand i`m very proud of as i was only 17 when i made it,the guitar was made 2years later as a college project and sounds great still 18 years later.more soon.
Thread: sawhorse
14/05/2009 15:34:21
i have a couple made with those brackets(which i bought in usa) thrown out back of workshop because we kept catching our fingers on the spurs that hold cross piece.once through the apprentice`s nail OUCH. STAY AWAY FROM THEM. they`re not very sturdy either.whenever we erect a timber frame we cut out the 4"x2" in doorways and make them into solid sawhorses so we`re always giving them away as we have too many now.
Thread: what is it/non woodworking
14/05/2009 15:25:47
i think its part of a harness for a cart.they work in pairs,wooden plank goes through rectangular section and thumb screw tightens on plank (im just guessing)
Thread: breaking down cascamite glue
13/04/2009 17:23:31
thanks mike didn`t think there was any solvent to break down the glue just hoped. as i cleaned the teak with asccetate (sic) the bond to the teak is extremely good .i do have scope to cut joint and add a dutch dowel just hope its as strong as it is at the moment.
13/04/2009 14:25:25
hi just wondering if anyone has any tips for breaking down cascamite (extramite) glue? i need to take apart a rocking chair joint in teak without damage . joint is 20mm dowell into 20x20 hole + wedge in end of dowell. joint is very strong but needs to be dismantled for adjustment to rocker.any ideas?
Thread: My leaving Cert Project!. Ideas???
24/03/2009 00:35:06
hi cathal,the spinning wheel is an old favorite for the leaving cert and a well finished one will always attract a good grade.The one in the photo is very ornate though not beond your skills as an enthusiastic young turner.As a wood tech/construction teacher i would advise you to design your own,use a scale rule from photos to get proportions right. no need to go into too much detail of turnings in main working drawing. eg 1 spoke will suffice.use a nice tight grained wood ,mahogony perhaps.i liked that table idea too.
Thread: "bend skirtin round the bay
05/11/2008 14:41:00
very large radius but well done
05/11/2008 01:38:00

if skirting is to be painted then moulding can be mocked up from 3/8" flexi ply (doubled up) and sandeed and filled if nessesary.I did this to 2' columns last year ,worked a treat.I left one piece @ 7"x 3/8" rectangular section and  impact glued  it around column . I used a variety of bits inthe router table to copy moulding as well as block plane and sandpaper,easier to understand if seen.Disadvantage of flexi-ply is it 4' longest lengths that can be gotten from sheet as they bend accross sheet.as for underfloor heating no implications there.

if not painting skirting a bit trickier then.Depends on radius of bay but if not too sharp can be done. DONT kerf back of skirting as it will split, soak skirting in warm water and allow to dry in sun or under lamps face side up while using weights to bow timber ,repeat untill you are happy that you can bend skirt to wall,use counter-sunk  screws and pellets to cover holes not nails or liquid nails

Best of luck

05/11/2008 14:41:00
very large radius but well done
05/11/2008 01:38:00

if skirting is to be painted then moulding can be mocked up from 3/8" flexi ply (doubled up) and sandeed and filled if nessesary.I did this to 2' columns last year ,worked a treat.I left one piece @ 7"x 3/8" rectangular section and  impact glued  it around column . I used a variety of bits inthe router table to copy moulding as well as block plane and sandpaper,easier to understand if seen.Disadvantage of flexi-ply is it 4' longest lengths that can be gotten from sheet as they bend accross sheet.as for underfloor heating no implications there.

if not painting skirting a bit trickier then.Depends on radius of bay but if not too sharp can be done. DONT kerf back of skirting as it will split, soak skirting in warm water and allow to dry in sun or under lamps face side up while using weights to bow timber ,repeat untill you are happy that you can bend skirt to wall,use counter-sunk  screws and pellets to cover holes not nails or liquid nails

Best of luck

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Marriott & Co
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact