By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Michael Shields

Here is a list of all the postings Michael Shields has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Turning salted silver birch
17/01/2017 01:49:34
Hi everyone really struggling at the moment with a boutique of dermatitis. I've not been in my workshop for 6 weeks until last weekend when I spun some salted silver birch. My face has come up like a balloon and burns like hell. Has anyone ever experienced this I'm now on a 4 month waiting list to see a dermatologist. Regards Michael
Thread: dust
08/09/2016 00:27:01

by the way has any body got any ideas about venting out a microlene mc150 drum filter?

08/09/2016 00:25:41

hi spent the day venting out my axminste rnv750 and i,ve started useing a trend air pro i'll see what happens.

05/09/2016 19:20:53

hi everyone long time since posting but desperate measures call for expert advice. oer the last two months I have been suffering with severe dermatitis which may be down to the amount of time in my workshop woodturning. my eyes were heavily infected and the resulting pain very uncomfortable. I have dust control equipment. an axminster nv 750 ectractor piped into my two lathes removing dust at source and a microlene mc 150 air filter. last week I purchased a trend air pro. any ideas on what else I could do to help my situation

Thread: glazing bars
27/10/2014 18:36:08
Hi I'm thinking of replacing two internal doors which have 15 pieces of glass in each. is it possible to get the sash profile already made out of light oak.
Thanks
Thread: sanding
22/10/2014 04:56:41
Thanks Dennis I'll let you know how I get on.
Mike
20/10/2014 17:45:41

hello dennis

thanks for the reply I,ll certainly give that ago once ive sourced some micromesh any ideas.

mike.

17/10/2014 20:55:06

hi guys a bit stuck at the moment sanding African blackwood, doing the grits from 60-120=240-400 all on a sandmaster at about 1200rpm. then 600 clothback and to finish with a micro paper. tried 3 or 4 times but keep getting very faint lines. all comments welcome.

regards mike

Thread: squer tealight
26/08/2014 20:14:34
Hi Dennis is it just sanding sealer left to dry it looks very glossy
Thread: which blade
25/09/2013 17:01:30

hi folks which blade tpi is best for cutting ply without splintering also which table saw blade is best for ply.

mike

Thread: clamping
22/11/2012 20:35:56

hi folks seemed to of lost track on clamping up some oak boards. bearing in mind i.m only making a sink cover. i wanted to make it up out of three oak boards butted together. i first used biscuits and clamped up. i set the boards up to prevent cupping and after squaring up on the planner thicknesser it all looked ok.

the problem was next day after removing the clamps the the board wasn't flat.

any ideas?

mike

Thread: yew clock
28/05/2012 19:52:05

hi dennis lovely piece of work how long did it take to do?

mike shields

Thread: preparing blanks
23/04/2011 10:20:39

hi folks ive just spent the last month trying to prepare blanks for my woodturning. i aquired a an old record lathe for nothing and have now spent about £300 getting going. i put the word out amongfriends and family for wood and low and behold forests where offered. anyway after a bit of studying and trial and error i,m puzzeld with the preping of my blanks. i reduced the logs of oak , laburnum, silverbirch, sycamore to sizes i could get on my lathe and turned some to round after a few days i noticed checks and other craks appearing on the end grain and in some cases along the side, i put these to one side to see what was happening and these faults have now gone to centre. ok bought parrafin wax and prepared more blanks and i was amazed at how quick the cracks where appearing, ie overnight. i then got my process down to size from log, turn round, date and wax seal the sides leaving the end grain to vent out the moisture. my concern is how much will i lose of my stock and how can stablieze the moisture loss. some of the stock is fresh cut ie march, and some upto 2years ago. its over to you now i,m all ears.

Thread: Fun with these doors!
05/04/2011 08:55:06
hi mailee beutiful set of doors, can,t believe how quick you work that replacement door would of taken me ages are doors your speciality?. the match looks excellant on photo i know how hard it is to colour match.
regards mike shields
Thread: purpleheart chopping boards
04/04/2011 09:41:00
thanks for the coments folks, looks like my hard work wasn,t wasted. as regards selling them i haven,t so your guess is as good as mine. regards mike shields.
03/04/2011 13:14:47
hi everyone. are my copping boards safe to use with food. i plan to use either danish oil or chestnut foodsafe finish. there made from purpleheart and sycamore andamerican walnut and tulipwood.

Thread: how to dry wood,
03/04/2011 12:16:36
thanks dennis very good article. no mention of pva do i need to dilute or use it straight from the can. regards mike
Thread: end grain wax
02/04/2011 09:56:53
hi everyone any ideas where i can obtain end grain sealing wax.
regards mike shields
Thread: how to dry wood,
02/04/2011 09:45:31
hi everybody
some good reading here, i too have managed to obtain a fair amount of sycamore felled this week. i,ve squared up the ends and prepared about 15 blanks of various sizes iv,e been looking around for end grain sealing wax but can only find it on ebay. what do you guys use and where do you get it from.
regards mike shields
Thread: sraying gloss
11/06/2010 10:53:33
nearly there folks i,ve spent the last week doing a steady biuld up of the gloss on the mdf and it,s started  to look good is does need overnight drying which is disappointing. i may concider some sort of heat lamp any idea's on availability would be nice.
speak soon mike.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
D&M Tools
Tormek
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact