By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for New Brit Workshop

Here is a list of all the postings New Brit Workshop has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Old elektra beckum hc260e
22/12/2013 15:55:45

Hello Wayne

The Metabo 260 planer is almost identical to your old HC260 from Elektra Beckum. I have found Metabo UK to be extremely helpful and so ask them if they stock equivalent spares. I recently received a spare for my old Elektra Beckum chip extractor from them. From the photographs of the HC260 on the Metabo UK web site I would say that both the parts that you seek will be almost identical to the ones on the Metabo machine.

**LINK**

Peter

Thread: Peter Rabbit Bookcase - Book Bargain
20/09/2013 10:52:39

My article on the book cases for a set of Peter Rabbit books appears in the new edition of 'The Woodworker'. My wife spotted that the books are currently on special offer from The Book People at £30 which is rather good as the RRP is £140 for the set.

Peter

Thread: Cancellation of subscription
10/01/2013 18:53:14

Every contract is different but it does pay to read the small print.

Peter

Thread: Making a cyclone dust interceptor
05/01/2013 08:00:48

My 100mm cyclone is still going strong. I have lost count of the number of times that I have emptied my drop box (probably 25-30, but at least every 2 weeks). There are no issues with the glue. I have already posted a note about the assembly. I really do recommend that people practice before trying to assemble the cone. I have seen posts on other blogs and note that Cyclone Central have a really good customer relations ethos - contact them if you need help. Don't forget the pressure relief valve!

Peter

Thread: Cancellation of subscription
05/01/2013 07:49:03

I have written for many magazines over the years and the only time that I was paid for any reprint of an article was when it was published in a different magazine. Writers should be well aware that once their article is published they relinquish the copyright of both the words and the photographs.

Peter

Thread: CYCLONE FAILURE!!!
02/02/2012 10:34:54
Dear Dave

Fantastic and thank you for letting me know that it worked. Let me know if you need help again.

Peter
02/02/2012 10:31:29
Dear Neil

I have been a keen woodworker all of my life and have made some money from it. Now it is my turn to give something back and so I am delighted to help anyone that I can.

Do not hesitate to contact me if you need more help.

Peter
01/02/2012 18:04:11
Dear Neil
I took delivery of the cyclone kit in the first week of December. Although it would only really take about 2 hours to make, I had photographs and video to take and so it was not in operation until about 9 December.

I use a large dustbin as my drop box and I have emptied it 7 or 8 times. Planing creates the most chippings and I have done a lot lately. I would have to guess at the number of hours of use - on some days I would do about 2 hours of planing but others may be just one.

Most people assume that cyclones cause a large drop in vacuum but this should not be the case. There will be a small drop due to extra friction and possibly a longer overall length of hose but if all the hose joints are tight and there is no leak in the join to the drop box this should not make any serious difference - unless you have a rubbish extractor!

I really cannot think of any 'down' side of having the Cyclone Central cyclone. Frankly for £90 it is very good value for money. I did think about making my own from scratch but it would have cost me a lost week which would be 10-15 times the cost of the cyclone kit. I used to have a 'dustbin lid' separator which I bought several years ago from a Devon based woodworking shop but it was never very satisfactory - I was forever having to empty my extractor which meant it did not do a very good job of separating.

If anything were to happen to this cyclone I would not hesitate to buy a kit from Cyclone Central. My brother, who runs a wood turning group, saw mine and is now buying several - and he will pay the normal price like everyone else.

Do take a look at the assembly video and make sure that you practice the joining of the cone several times before applying glue. You may need a second pair of hands.
The fit of the top tube into the cyclone lid is very tight - again see how I managed in the video. Also look at my pressure relief valve video and build one into your drop box lid.

Let me know how you get on.

Peter

01/02/2012 07:58:23
Sorry, I forgot to mention...

In the Cyclone Central instructions users are told to use the normal (single part) glue to reinforce all seams after the cyclone is assembled. If this is done then there is no worry about super glue failing.

Peter
Thread: CYCLONE FAILURE!!!
31/01/2012 17:47:48
Dear Dave

I have a possible solution for you...

I have designed a pressure relief valves which you can make in minutes for under £1.

You can find a video showing you what to do on YouTube. Visit my channel at...

Make sure the magnet is the right strength - mine has a 1 kg pull. Also, test it to ensure that it is right for you - just in case.

Let me know if this helps.

Peter
31/01/2012 17:17:06
It works!
Dear Alan and Members

First thank you for helping and being patient. I think that someone must have pressed some buttons to make things work as they should.
The assembly of the 100mm cyclone is a little tricky. I am quite arthritic and had to have several practice goes joining the cone sides before I had the courage to use the glue. I did recommend this in the video.

I think that the cyclone is reasonably robust but if anyone is worried then it would be easy to create a cage frame out of MDF secured to the drop box lid.

I too considered making a cyclone from a traffic cone but common sense kept me on the straight and narrow as I could not imagine what a client, visiting the workshop, would think. If anyone makes one that looks good enough to have on display to customers then please post a photograph.

I asked a friend to bring a Dust Deputy back from the US but it is no good with the planer or table saw. There was no way that a 100mm cyclone could have been bought this way and so I was stuck and the big cyclone was forgotten....until...

I received an email from Cyclone Central asking me to do a build/review video of their 100mm cyclone. I agreed but warned them that if I thought that it was rubbish then there would be no video. I was very pleasantly suprised when the kit arrived. It was well engineered and went together reasonably easily. I was even more delighted when I was told to keep the completed cyclone.

I have been using the cyclone for some time now and I love it. I have added a pressure relief valve and urge everyone to do the same. My trusty NVD 750 could crush a light steel cyclone so I did not want to take any chances. I have produced a video which can be found via my YouTube channel or from a link on the Cyclone Central web site. I mention the pressure relief valve in my review that will appear in The Woodworker soon.

Cyclone Central are a new UK start-up and they are filling a gap in the European market. I have made the two videos at no cost in order to help them along. I hope that it helps reduce the numbers on the dole. I am prepared to do the same for any UK company.

I hope this helps.

Peter
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Marriott & Co
Robert Sorby
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Felder UK April 2016
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact