By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for rhys haines

Here is a list of all the postings rhys haines has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Nesting cousins
28/12/2008 14:22:00

nice job!

what timber did you use for the nest of tables?

they look really well made.

rhys 

Thread: Quadrant hinges
27/12/2008 22:01:00

hi woodie.

erm you could try using a long shank router cutter in say a small 1/4" router or even in a router table. on second thoughts the chanel/groove u want to produce looks as though it needs to be rather narrow. well just a thought anyway. 

let me know how you get on 

rhys 

Thread: Router/Shaper
12/12/2008 12:38:00

hi david

if you look on the internet, you might be able to find a local tool supplier that would be happy to give you a demonstration. that way you can see/hear for yourself how well it operates

rhys 

Thread: Impact drivers
12/12/2008 12:32:00

hi chaps,

many thanks for the great advice, my 18v li-ion drill is the anniversary edition and it only came with 1 battery. not a problem until i recently worked on site and the 20mins it takes to charge seemed like a long time when i need to crack on with work. i think i will use the 12v ni-mh batteries until they actually die! that way i know that i had my moneys worth.

i might in the future invest in a set of li -ion tools, that way i can use the batts with my drill.

regards, Rhys 

06/12/2008 14:13:00

hello chaps and chapesses

my trusty 12v Makita impact driver is currently serving me very well, however i have had it for over 4years and the batteries (3ah) are not holding their charge for a very long time at all, ie i will be using it and after say 45mins the battery will just run out very quickly.

i would appreciate some advice as to wether i can re-vamp the batts OR would i be better opting for a nice new 18v li-ion impact driver? does anyone have an 18v makita li-ion impact driver? and are they any good? i know the 18v 2 speed makita combi is great as i have one

any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated 

regards, Rhys Haines

Thread: Why didn't I think of this before!!!
02/11/2008 18:22:00

talking of insulation particles sticking to your arms

before venturing into the loft next time, rub talcum powder onto ur arms liberally

dont be shy with the talc, as it really willl stop the stuff sticking to you!!

and as an added bonus it will make you smelll nice too

always works for me

rhys 

Thread: NVR switch
01/11/2008 15:40:00

OPJ

thanks very much for the link to the list of Charnwood stockists. i like the look of the switch u mentioned because (As you said) one can plug the router steaight in to the NVR which save cutting and re-wiring. in my case i woukd have to plug the transformer into the NVR and so on.

thanku for ur help, tis much appreciated

rhys 

01/11/2008 10:01:00

OPJ

have looked at charnwood NVR and price on t'internet wasn't much more than £12!!!

how much did u pay for yours and where did u get it from? i am in the process of designing a router table and would probably mount the NVR on the side of the table. i cant see the bulky-ness of the unit being a problem

ps, i live in nuneaton, warwickshire so if u know of anywhere that sells charnwood tools near hear then please shout

rhys 

01/11/2008 09:54:00

hi chaps

many thanks for all the advice. my mind can now rest

rhys 

Thread: christmas comes early
31/10/2008 16:44:00

sounds like u got a good wife there David, my wife wouldn't even know about such sanders or even what rhey are. lets hope the "something else" she has for u is just as useful as the other tools.

rhys haines 

Thread: NVR switch
31/10/2008 16:41:00

does anyone know if it is safe and practicable to use a 110v router with an NVR switch? (or any other 110v tool). Probably a silly question, but one which i would appreciate some advice or information on.

many thanks

rhys haines 

Thread: Why are batteries so expensive?
14/10/2008 20:04:00

i know where u r coming from with regards to battery costs. it really doesnt make any sense that batteries on their own they are criminally expensive.the last time i needed new batteries for my 14.4v makita i ended up buying an 18v li-ion 2speed combi instead. admitedly it only came with one battery but when it only takes 20mins to reach 80% charge u cant really moan

rhys 

Thread: help
14/10/2008 19:56:00

if she doesnt like it tell her to pay the bills

rhys 

Thread: Removing self adhesive glue from disk sander
14/10/2008 19:53:00

with past experience of removing many a sanding disk i used a wallpaper scraper- the rigid type to lift away a small edge, then using a squeezy bottle filled with thinners or something similar, squirt some down behind the disk using the scraper to peel it away as you work your way down. when finished, wipe the surface of the plate with a rag dampened with thinners

rhys 

14/10/2008 19:53:00

with past experience of removing many a sanding disk i used a wallpaper scraper- the rigid type to lift away a small edge, then using a squeezy bottle filled with thinners or something similar, squirt some down behind the disk using the scraper to peel it away as you work your way down. when finished, wipe the surface of the plate with a rag dampened with thinners

rhys 

Thread: cordless jigsaws!
14/10/2008 19:37:00

hi ben

i have a makita 18v li-ion combi drill. The battery takes approx 30mins to charge but will get up to 80% in 20mins. During use the battery will outlast any ni-cad or ni-mh equivalent any time. Li-ion batteries really are worth the money if u can afford it!! I have yet to use a cordless Makita jigsaw but im sure that the performance will b fantastic.If you can justify spending £250 plus on a cordless jigsaw then u wont go wrong with Makita. Of cousre im am biased toward makita as i do own rather a lot of makita gear.

hope this helps

rhys 

Thread: Nesting cousins
28/12/2008 14:22:00

nice job!

what timber did you use for the nest of tables?

they look really well made.

rhys 

Thread: Quadrant hinges
27/12/2008 22:01:00

hi woodie.

erm you could try using a long shank router cutter in say a small 1/4" router or even in a router table. on second thoughts the chanel/groove u want to produce looks as though it needs to be rather narrow. well just a thought anyway. 

let me know how you get on 

rhys 

Thread: Router/Shaper
12/12/2008 12:38:00

hi david

if you look on the internet, you might be able to find a local tool supplier that would be happy to give you a demonstration. that way you can see/hear for yourself how well it operates

rhys 

Thread: Impact drivers
12/12/2008 12:32:00

hi chaps,

many thanks for the great advice, my 18v li-ion drill is the anniversary edition and it only came with 1 battery. not a problem until i recently worked on site and the 20mins it takes to charge seemed like a long time when i need to crack on with work. i think i will use the 12v ni-mh batteries until they actually die! that way i know that i had my moneys worth.

i might in the future invest in a set of li -ion tools, that way i can use the batts with my drill.

regards, Rhys 

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
D&M Tools
Tormek
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact