By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Kate Harding 1

Here is a list of all the postings Kate Harding 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Kauri Wood advice
19/10/2011 19:47:36
Th problem with the photos comes when I click on the 'Insert Image' icon. It says there's no albums there to choose from, so I can go no further.

19/10/2011 19:44:16
Right,

If you click on this link you can see my slab of 40,000 year old wood. You don't need to be a member of Facebook - it's a public link / album.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150412383860155.401382.621425154&type=1&l=a3380bb993

I plan to leave the rustic edges, where possible and just sand off any loose parts or bits with resin.

It's also got a bit of damage (which happened in transit) because it a surprisingly soft wood (well a surprise to me).

I'll post more once I start oiling, although I have to admit I'm a bit nervous.

Kate
19/10/2011 18:56:49
Hello Dennis, Big Al and Bill W,

Sorry for the delay. I wanted to get started and get some photos before I got back to you. Thank you so much for your help. I've started sanding it down now and have bought some Danish Oil, ready for when I get through the finer grit. My problem is that I have a Mac (rather than a PC) and it doesn't seem to be compatible with this forum. I'll keep trying...

In the meantime I can post a link to a photo of the kind of base I'd like to find. Obviously it won't be Kauri, but any advice on good alternative wood types wold be great. And if any of you know of good sources then that wolud be great too:
http://www.treetables.com/tree_stump_tables_stone_tops.php

Now I will attempt to put my photos somewhere on the net so that I can post a link to it, as I don't think I will be able to post directly.

Thank you again for your help.

Kate

03/10/2011 19:15:50
I am a very inexperienced woodworker who loves wood. Last year I bought an unfinished Kauri wood coffee table top in New Zealand and had it shipped back to the UK. It's 40,000 years old, dug up from a bog. It's approx 1000 long and 400 wide and uneven in shape with bark still on most of the sloped edges.

I would like to to finish it myself to bring out the amazing grain in this red wood - and then find a wooden base to fix it too (I would hope to find a tree base with root spurs that I can level and - who knows how yet - fix the two together). I don't want to end up with a varnish / lacquer type shiny finish which is what I can find on the internet. I'm ready to do a lot of sanding!

Please can anyone recommend what I need to buy and do to finish this ancient piece of wood? A total layman's guide would be fantastic with Step 1, Step 2 etc.. would be ideal - I wouldn't feel patronised!

Thank you very much indeed,

Kate
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Marriott & Co
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact