By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Woodbridge Canada

Here is a list of all the postings Woodbridge Canada has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Got There At Last
16/11/2011 02:08:11
Hello Derek I have been waiting to see the finished rocking horse and its fabulous! Outstanding craftmanship and I'm sure a wondereful gift that will bring much joy.
Thread: "Spoon" Chair
08/10/2011 20:05:27
Here is a picture of the back of the middle one. It was ther first ine I built.

08/10/2011 03:54:53

Hi Derek. Thanks. It is a one off but the third version of a chair style that I have built based on a desk chair originally designed abd built by Charles Rohlfs in 1898. The original chair has the same shaped slender high back. In all three chairs the backs are made using the same bending form, the middle stretcher and the seats all share the same basic shape. I have been playing around with different designs for the back and different leg styles and shapes.
Peter
06/10/2011 22:37:49
Thanks. I want to make some boxes for family member's gfits this Christmas. You have a number of photos of excellent boxes, that I certainly will return to for ideas when I start these projects.

04/10/2011 15:16:50
Thanks Joe. I am retiring at the end of this year and I am looking forward to spending more time in my workshop.

04/10/2011 02:52:34

50 ½ inches high, 15 ½ inches wide and 16 inches deep.

Rohlfs inspired desk chair #3.

This is the 3rd chair I have made inspired by the Charles Rohlfs’ 1898 desk chair. The chair is made from reused mahogany with walnut accents.

The tapered high back, curved rails and middle stretcher are also bent laminations.

The shape of the back is actually based on the handle of stainless steel spoon. I got the inspiration to use cutlery as a pattern for chair backs when searching the internet for art deco patterns and the image of a spoon came up. The shape of cutlery lends itself perfecting to the slender shape of the chair back.

The sash along the front and back of chair is made from walnut carved to match the pattern of the spoon.

The same pattern is also used on the front and side rails of the chair. The parabolic shape of the seat and the stepped design routed on the sides matchs that of Rohlfs desk chair. The rails are attached to the legs with mortise and tenon joints. The seat is attached to the back with a through mortise and walnut wedges.

Thread: Painted Horse
29/09/2011 01:24:15
Derek, the horse is fabulous! Your photo album on the horse is quite interesting to view and see the progress you have made. You have done an excellent job carving.
Thread: Princess Beatrice Royal Wedding Fascinator Chair
12/09/2011 02:49:23
Thanks for the kind words.

I have been on a chair kick these last fews years as a hobby woodworker so I look at most things and think how it might look as a chair.

The in-progress photo below shows the joints that make up the back. Lots of planing to get the joints to tighten up. The finish is water based stain with 4 coats of satin finish urethane.

My next chair is based on a spoon design.

It is still in progress. I should have it finished in a couple of weeks.

I live in Ontario Canada, (Woodbridge to be exact, which is just north of Toronto) so I am not sure my walnut supplier will be useful to you. It's from a place called "Hardship Acres" in a small town called Elmvale about 100 km north of Toronto.

08/09/2011 17:44:47
Derek, thanks for the link to this video series with Sam Maloof. I had not seen t his before. I watched the first segment and I'm sure it will be a big help when I try to make a Maloof style rocker.
07/09/2011 21:52:06
Sam Maloof who died at 93 in 2009 is particulalry famous for his iconic rocking chair, which is one of the next projects on my list.

The joint he used to connect the legs to the seat may have a proper wood working name that I am not familiar with. I have attached a picture that came up when I Googled Maloof joint. It is easier to seea pciture than for me to try to descibe it.

07/09/2011 14:01:09
Thanks. Oneof my next projects is a Maloof style rocker. I have purhcased some beautiful walnut for this project, so this chair proifvided an opportunity to practice this type of joinery. I still have a way to go to get the joint really tight and use less filler!
06/09/2011 21:12:12
Thanks. This is my first time posting on this site. I am a hobbist woodworker and I primarly like to build chairs. I will be retiring in 3 months so I will have a lot more time in my workshop. When I saw the Princess' "fascinator" at the royal wedding my first thought was that it would make a very nice chair back.
06/09/2011 17:47:25
thanks

06/09/2011 17:27:29
When I first saw the hat that Princess Beatrice wore at the recent royal wedding I thought it would make an interesting chair back. So I decided to have some fun and see how it would look as a chair. I wanted to see if I could reproduce the hat's flowing lines and ribbon shapes out of wood. It gave me a chance to do some carving and shaping. Also, since one of my future projects is a Maloof style rocker I used this as an opportunity to use a Maloof type joint to attach the back legs to the chair seat. I prefer chairs with a high back, so I stretched the design of the hat vertically. Since this was a bit of an experinent it is made of pine. It is finished with a water based stain, to match as close as possible the colour of the fascinator which is described as a "tea rose". Not my favortite colour. If I were to do it again I would use a more natural wood colour.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Robert Sorby
Craft Supplies
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact