By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mark Sutton

Here is a list of all the postings Mark Sutton has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Rectangular Bowl
21/09/2008 18:46:00
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e5/woodbutcher1/PictureorVideo021.jpg

This is one of my Square bowls, turned in same way as rectangular bowl

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e5/woodbutcher1/Woodturning020607005.jpg

Then the Diamond bowl, this one was turned from Elm, bit more difficult to turn the diamond bowl, this was first attempt!!.

I enjoy turning pieces like these, you tend to think how you are going to do these pieces and be careful!!!

20/09/2008 19:19:00

Hi Ralph

I cut a rectangular piece from the strair tread, then sanded the sides and ends then turned the bowl. Handsanded the wings.  Have also done diamond bowls, which are even sharper when running at 3000rpm!!

19/09/2008 19:03:00

Thank you

American oak, started life as stair tread!!, was given the wood from work!!

Shed time this weekend, projects to plan

Thread: Natural edge Burr Elm
17/09/2008 19:47:00

Ralph

You are right about the hot glue gun, used it only a couple of times and have always been wary of the wood coming of the lathe

Must be a bit braver!!!!

Thread: Platter
17/09/2008 19:41:00

Thank you

The alder was a little bit on the soft side, used superglue to harden specific areas, really enjoyed turning it though.

Used food safe oil to finish, platter still has the same glow about it today.

Thanks again

Thread: Quaich 2
17/09/2008 19:38:00

Thank you

It was turned as a normal shallow bowl, then used a scrollsaw to cut the handles, but back on the lathe to tidy up, then handsanded.

Thank you again

Thread: Natural edge Burr Elm
16/09/2008 19:49:00

Beautiful turning, and finish.

I love turning Burr Elm, never thought of using a glue though to attach to scrap wood

Thread: Goblets
08/09/2008 10:59:00

Ralph

I was told afterwards that due to winning in another catagory, that i would have won in the goblet section, but the rules stated it was not possible to win in more than one catagory.

The spiralling system was a xmas present, and used frequently.

Thread: Burr Elm Bowl
06/09/2008 13:06:00

Hi

Thank you,

Just got my hands on another two large pieces of Burr Elm this morning, just got to decide what to do with them, possibly looking at making a couple of natural edge vases.

Thread: Another Clock
06/09/2008 13:02:00

Hi again, and thank you.

It is Burr Elm again!!, this was turned on Cole Jaws, centralised as best as i could at slow speed, then sanded and oiled.  A can of fresh Air http://www.toolstation.com/index.html?r=a&feature=62069&rr=Mkq8l6Y3wQBWf5yb&gclid=CO6RpO6Ox5UCFSAtEAodIG0ljQ is used to clean if needed!!!

I have turned a few of these and they sell really well, in fact the last one only took less then an hour from start to finish.

Thread: Burr Elm Skelton Clock
06/09/2008 12:55:00

Hi 

Thank you again 

It is Burr Elm, and sits on the wall in the living room.

The clock movement cost £18, available from the internet http://www.clock-inserts.co.uk/  and a few other places i think, it comes in two colours brass & silver, it was the first time i had used this time of movement, especially with having to make a jig to hold the piece when the hole was turned all the way through.  The wood on the other hand was given to me by a professional woodturner in my local area.

Thread: Goblets
06/09/2008 12:44:00

Hi Ralph

The goblets are three pieces, turned from Spalted Pear and an unknown wood for the stems, the spirals done with the Sorby Spiralling system.

These were practise pieces, but decided to enter them into a competition with my local woodturning club.

Thread: Burr Elm Bowl
02/09/2008 19:17:00

Thank you for your comments.

I kept all my fingers, and yes it is english elm, i tend to turn lots of Burr elm, local contacts!!  It had coats of oil to keep the colour of the wood

Thank you again

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact