By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mark Sutton

Here is a list of all the postings Mark Sutton has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Coloured Sycamore Bowl
21/09/2015 18:54:28

Hi Julian

Many thanks for your kind comment. I had never heard of the Preval System, must have a look, and thanks for the info.

Mark

19/09/2015 06:52:29

Many thanks for your kind comment Steve

Mark

18/09/2015 09:03:15

Hi Derek, thank you for the Welcome and comment.

All the Texturing was carried out using the Sorby Texturing Tools, including the micro.

I have only just really started with Airbrushing, and this was my second attempt, i had heard that using Cans could be expensive, thats why i went with the compressor, and made sure it had a tank to hold the pressure.

The Complete piece was covered in Inks, after texturing was completed.

Regards

Mark

17/09/2015 19:05:45

Hi

It has been a significant length of time since i posted anything so here goes!!

I took delivery of a Airbrushing kit some weeks ago and decided to have a go and created this, of course inspired by Nick Agar. I used Molotow Aqua Inks, which are much friendly to use than stains and are food colourant based, which can be used in pens, plus other such as Airbrushing. C&C Welcome and thank you for looking.

Airbrushed Sycamore Bowl

Thread: Grandaughter Clock
20/11/2013 08:37:55

Brian

That is a beautiful clock, something to be very proud of and a fantastic heirloom.

Well done and thank you for sharing

Mark

Thread: more burr elm bowl's
20/11/2013 08:34:29

Hi Dennis

Some very nice bowls there, and burr elm is lovely timber to work with.

Well done and thank you for sharing

Mark

Thread: Spalted Beech Hollow Form
19/11/2013 18:50:46

Hi Derek and Wolfie

My apologies for the delay in answering, many thanks for your comments

Thread: Pull cuts
19/11/2013 18:46:50

Hi

Apart from the answers above, i am not sure if you have seen these two videos, the first is by Lyle Jamieson, and the second by Andy Coates, which you may find useful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2xHHxTs4Yg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDSEHi9Nwu0&list=UUaSwbcVM6I6bk41gKB2x4fQ (Andy Coates)

Also have you searched the AWGB for groups in your area, there is two maps available, one for Branches, and one for associates.

I hope you manage to sort out your problem

Edited By Mark Sutton on 19/11/2013 18:48:44

Thread: Spalted Beech Hollow Form
10/11/2013 15:13:03

Thank you Derek for your kind comments, they are much appreciated

I have another piece of this timber left.

Regards

Mark

09/11/2013 16:19:47

The first photo is a close up of the grain.

The form is made from Spalted Beech, which measures 170mm x 80mm, sanded down to 600 grit and then buffed and polished on the lathe,

C&C Welcome and many thanks for looking

img-20131108-00058.jpgimg-20131108-00054.jpg

Thread: Latest Turnings
09/11/2013 16:09:19

Sorry about the delay in replying, thank you for kind comments

Mark

31/10/2013 19:38:00

Hi To all

I just thought i would add a couple of my latest projects, C&C Welcome as always, and thank you for looking.

This one is based on a Mark Sanger piece, made from Sycamore, with a Spalted Beech Lid and Ebony finial

Sycamore Lidded Box

This one is made from Spalted Sycamore, the timber was found in a reject pile sourced from my local supplier.

It was hollowed with Kelton Hollowers and the Crown Revolution.

Spalted Sycamore Hollow Form

Thread: Yew hollow form
31/10/2013 19:23:59

Hi Derek

A lovely piece of wood that would have been difficult to turn, however you did this very well.

For hollowing i use the Kelton hollowers, and the Crown revolution,, both do the job admirably but it all depends on your budget etc.

Thread: Coloured Platters & Bowls
07/06/2013 07:42:54

Thank you for your kind comments Gents.

The paints are very easy to use, however it is advisable to use them in moderation as you tend to get more colour from them as in pictures 1-3.

I did take photo`s of a couple of the stages, will try and dig them out, and create something

04/06/2013 10:57:03

My aplogies, it has been such a long time since i posted anything on here!!, so ithought i would post a few of my latest works, all made from Sycamore of various sizes, all using Jo Sonja Irridescent paints of varying colours. My favourite is the top one!!

C&C Welcome, and thank you for looking

Coloured bowl 2Coloured BowlColoured Platter 3Sycamore Coloured Platter 2Sycamore Coloured Platter

Thread: bur oak clock
18/04/2012 18:44:01

Hi Dennis

Very nice looking clocks, i especially like the natural edge ones.

With regards your last clock and the tile, did the tile crack with the movement of the wood? and what glue did you use?

Mark

Thread: Red pearl pens
06/02/2012 18:30:03
Hi Simon

A very nice set there, well done, i am sure they will be appreciated

Mark
Thread: yew wood
06/02/2012 18:28:34
Hi Sam

I am sorry to hear about your illness,

I too suffered sometime ago, and found out i was allergic to Yew. Get better soon.

Mark
Thread: Ebonised Hollow form
02/02/2012 19:55:54
Hi All

Many thanks for your kind comments, i tried to reply earlier, computers, don`t you just love them!!

Ron, i obtained the butterflies from a craft shop, cost was £1.50 for a sheet

Alan, if the piece was in your hand you would think it was porcelain, the wife loved it, as soon as she saw it, and she is my biggest critic. It took as long to finish as turning the item. Ii used Chestnut Ebonising laquer, but i have heard that you can use Matt black car spray (not Gloss), which has the same effect, but a lot cheaper.

Derek, i understand what you say, and i am sure we all experiment, with different techniques, it is the only way we learn our fantastic hobby.

I am sure the next one will be much better, and i can assure you i learnt a lot during the process of colouring with this piece.

Thank you again

Mark
Thread: Turning Help
01/02/2012 20:12:07
Evening Steve.

Is there particular tools that are giving problems on your face plate/chuck work, as to me it sounds like a tooling issue as others have suggested.

Mark
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Transwave 2017
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact