By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gerrybhoy

Here is a list of all the postings Gerrybhoy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: More playing on the lathe
06/09/2015 12:44:08

It's definitely a great way to use up any off-cuts that would otherwise not have any real use Steve.

Thread: Finally back on the lathe
02/09/2015 18:03:54

Thanks Ged.

Thankfully I've had to learn to be very patient, so however long it takes I'll just keep at it. It'll happen for me, but it's definitely not an overnight thing.

Gerry

24/08/2015 21:43:18

Definitely gives a better look than mine. lol

Thread: Another Home Casting
24/08/2015 21:42:25

That's looking brilliant, Derek.

I'll definitely be looking to doing castings myself at some point soon.

Gerry

24/08/2015 19:48:34

Poly casting is something I'm thinking of trying next.

HDPE can be a bit of a pain, purely due to the temperature to melt it & the time it takes to get a bubble-free block. Other then that it's really good to turn.

The Cedar one is a little fatter than I'd usually make, was just curious about how it'd feel to use with a bit more meat on it. Turns out it's not too bad at all

24/08/2015 18:55:59

Who told me pen turning was addictive?

You were right!!!! teeth 2

1 Bullet twist pen, with an HDPE casing, 1 slimline pen completely in HDPE & 1 slimline pen in Cedar of Lebanon.

Been playing around with HDPE a lot recently and have loads of pen blanks sized up and ready to use, so expect to see many more.

The cedar of Lebanon was great to turn. Cuts as easily as a softwood, and has a nice aroma - I'm sure I got a hint of lemon through it, or maybe that's just SWMBO's candles!!!!

As always, comments & critique very welcome (although I know I still need to sort out the finishing).

3 pens3 pens 2

Thread: Finally back on the lathe
24/08/2015 18:47:33

Thanks Derek, it's good to be back.

Hopefully won't take me too long to get used to things. Just feels a little awkward as the torn tendons slightly changed the way I'm holding things with my right hand.

23/08/2015 18:46:25

After too long a lay-off (surgery, broken wrist & torn hand tendons!!), I finally got on the lathe over the past few days.

Definitely need more practice as I'm having to hold the chisels slightly different from before, so I'm still getting used to this.

Made 3 pieces and the finish on them all is cr*p, but once I'm used to my slight adjustment this should sort itself out.

A small lidded box from Apple, a small bowl from Spalted Beech & a 10" inch plate/platter from an as yet unknown wood (if anyone can ID it I'd be grateful).

Small Apple lidded boxSmall Apple lidded boxSmall Apple lidded boxSmall Spalted Beech bowlSmall Spalted Beech bowl10 plate/platter10 plate/platter

Thread: Been gone too long....
25/03/2015 19:18:53
Yeah Steve - definitely glad it's done with.
Derek - I'm already seeing that. Lol
Thread: floating bowl
21/03/2015 20:25:40

Quirky, unusual, different. But I like it. Lots.

Nice work Dennis

21/03/2015 20:21:39

Thanks Steve. The arm's all good now, but me being the idiot goalie that I am I went back to footy and ended up needing two lots of foot surgery after doing that in too. crying

All sorted now though (I hope!!!), and I'm able to stand in front of the lathe & workbench again.

Typically, I'm also back risking my old bones in goal again too. dont know

Definitely good coming back on to see what others are doing. There's so much high quality work, it's difficult not to be impressed.

11/03/2015 00:01:26

Hi Dennis, the light blue one is corian (first pic I think).

Gerry

10/03/2015 23:58:19

Yeah, Dennis. The light blue one is.

Thanks Derek - they were all sanded to 1500, then CA on the zebrano & tcut on the corian and acrylic ones.

Gerry

Thread: new pens
10/03/2015 21:52:43

Some very nice work there Dennis. yes

08/03/2015 20:48:15

Thanks Dennis.

08/03/2015 17:52:14

Cheers Sam.

Definitely taking it slower than before, and hopefully before too long I'll be back into things properly.

Thread: maley bur plater.
08/03/2015 15:00:20

Stunning piece of work Dennis, as always.

Gerry

08/03/2015 14:20:05

Hi folks,

It's been a while since I've been here, yet again down to my health having a mind of it's own. But 2 lots of surgery and an all clear (so far!!) means I've been able to get back on the lathe this weekend.

Decided that since I've never tried them before, and not wanting to do anything excessive, I got hold of a mandrel, some pen kits & some blanks.

Not exactly perfect, but for my first efforts at them I'm pretty pleased with the outcome.

As always, comments & critique are most welcome.

Gerry

Corian pen

Acrylic pen

Zebrano pen

Thread: Needing ideas
01/04/2013 21:19:12

Thanks Les. Don't have any inserts but I'm thinking coin bowls are a good idea. Cheers mate. Gerry

01/04/2013 14:41:38

Having been away from the lathe for an extended time, I've got a stockpile of wood and need ideas what to turn. Most of it is Yew in various sizes, a fair amount of Birch & a few blanks of Sycamore. Along with that I've a small amount of Cherry, Laburnum & Sapele all in smaller blanks/spindles. Any ideas to get some practice in before I start for real again would be appreciated. Gerry

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D B Keighley
Tool Post
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact