By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jan De Klerk

Here is a list of all the postings Jan De Klerk has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Wood type
05/02/2013 17:39:35

Hi

The only places that could be of help or may even be able to point you in the right direction are: The Timber Research and Development Association, the Forest Products Research Laboratory at Princes Risborough. and any of the universities with a botany department.

HTH

Jan

Thread: Good Timber, Suffolk
02/01/2013 18:47:05

Hi James

Welcome to the forum. You need to refine your skills on cheap timber when you start out, even reclaimed pine from pallets will help you to learn all the diffirent joints and techniques.

I can recommend Bradnam & Sons in Haverhill if they do not have in stock what you are looking for they normally will get it in 5 days.

Thread: We wish you a Merry Christmas!
23/12/2012 17:28:18

To all the members and staff have a merry Christmas and a prosperous new year with lots of saw dust and shavings on the floor

Thread: Drill Press
16/12/2012 18:00:58

Hi Dave

Thanks for the reply, I am after a machine able to drill 35 mm cabinet hinges most of the other drilling it will be required to do will be less than 20 mm. I basically need a machine to drill accurate and square. Could you tell me more about your machine and the bits you use?

16/12/2012 17:09:41

I am looking to buy a benchtop drill press (not a floor standing model) but can not find any information on the maximum capacity to drill in wood. All the manufacturers quote chuck sizes either 13 or 16 mm and the capacity in metal normally either 13 or 16 mm. I will be using forstner bits up to a maximum of 35 mm. Could anyone please shed some light on this?

Thread: Table top planer/thicknesser
15/12/2012 13:40:32

I am in a similar situation due to limited space and a tight budget. Floor standing P/T's are not an option but all the benchtop models are made in the far east and in my experience with stuff from the far east is a lack in build quality and precision.

Most of the well known brands only make benchtop thicknessers but they are not cheap. I agree with Geoff we should be expecting more from manufacturers and suppliers regarding quality. The Americans are spoilt for choice in this regard. We dont want to be machine engineers that have to spent hours fettling equipment just to be able to do a couple of minutes woodworking before they need some more fettling. Once setup a machine should perform for a longtime but for this ability you will have to pay.

The woodworking magazines should also be more stringent when testing woodworking machines and show them up for what they are regardless of the manufacturer is a paying advertiser or not. I always enjoy reading the tests and reviews and have never failed to notice that a lot of sugar is added to make the bitter pill easier to swallow.

You will definitely have to stretch your budget and buy the best you can afford and consider buying a planer and a separate thicknesser.

Thread: Good to be back
02/12/2012 15:34:50

Hi All

After a long absence due to injury I am back, I will need to put my workshop together again minus my trusted machinery.( had to sell them all ) I have started buying some Bosch power tools and this time I will have to look at smaller machines due to space, I could almost get everything from Bosch except a small bandsaw and thicknesser. It is good to see the Old Hands on here are still going strong and Maillee converted from hobby to business.

Best Regards to you all

Jan

Thread: Table saw blade
04/03/2010 09:47:35
Steve
Try Wealden Tool Company. I don't think the periferal speed will be a problem, manufacturers normally specify the maximum blade use with regards to safe operation of their machine
Jan 
Thread: dumbing down?
11/02/2010 19:56:27
Andrew
Futher to Baz's post: Alan Holtham saw the mistake and owned up to it, in my book that is the hallmark of a big man. Remember each and everyone makes mistakes, we're only human.

So let's move on from here and enjoy woodworking and the company of other's with the same passion on this site, criticise constructively and give due's where they are due.

Jan

Thread: Low antique furniture prices
11/02/2010 15:59:01
I do try to make most of our furniture myself, although I spend more time making equipment for my wife's hobby - working dog trials - this has lead to her friends asking for equipment so I'm not doing exactly what I would like to do.(although I must admit that it helps to finance equipment and timber)

My wife bought an "antique hand made chest of drawers" but they were machine made, mass produced and needless to say not so antique. I still dont know what she paid, maybe that is why she does not complain to much when I buy tools.

I was just interested, hence my question, wether the professionals are able to make a living in these times.

Jan

11/02/2010 11:59:43
I've noticed recently that antique furniture are fetching low prices on auctions and even on eBay. This was also pointed out on the Antiques Road Show, there is no demand for antique furniture at present maybe due to the present financial position. In some cases the item is cheaper to buy than timber from a timber merchant.

How does this effect the woodworkers that have to rely on woodworking for their bread and butter?

Jan
Thread: dumbing down?
11/02/2010 11:42:28
Very true Marc

Maybe they are so proficient that their items sell so quickly they don't have time to photograph them

Jan
11/02/2010 10:57:56
Out of even the simplest project there is something to be learned. As to the newest edition of The Woodworker I am sure a lot of people have learned from the cover about door braces. I dont like the little table but there is interesting information on how the joints were adapted to the project. There is a good article on drawer design on p. 42 and drawer construction on p. 58. I am not into turning but it seems that you can even do your nails on the lathe! LOL.

A person is never too much of an expert to learn  from a simple project. So come on Codeye and Dominic put your money where your mouths are and show us your expert projects, or how about writing us an in depth article relating to woodworking.

Jan

Thread: Is this Safe??????
10/02/2010 10:09:08
Steve
The problem is the clamp. I would use the rip fence and set the blade height to about 2mm less than the thickness of the timber. Cut all 4 sides, you then have a minimal amount of material to remove by hand and the added advantage of a groove to guide the handsaw.
Jan
Thread: Workshop floor
28/01/2010 18:52:34
Thanks Roger for the info. The more I know the better the decision I can make
Jan
28/01/2010 18:52:24
Thanks Roger for the info. The more I know the better the decision I can make
Jan
Thread: Newsletters
27/01/2010 14:14:53
Received mine
Jan
Thread: Workshop floor
27/01/2010 12:57:58
Thanks Sam all the info is a great help at this stage. It will help me to make informed decissions so that I'll only build once. The great thing about this forum is the amount of advice that you get from a great bunch of people
Jan
27/01/2010 10:10:31
Thanks for all the tips
Marc : I will post pictures as the building go along.
Baz: The loose tongues that you are suggesting would that be similar to a spline?What thickness  should the  MDF be  25mm?

Jan
26/01/2010 15:09:23
Thanks Richard
The concrete base will be well above ground level and properly damp coarsed. My current workshop is in the garage and the concrete floor is very cold, it is also a bit on the small side.( see my workshop album) So during the next few months I'll get the planning permision.
Jan
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Tormek
Chippendale
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact