By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jonathan Bentman

Here is a list of all the postings Jonathan Bentman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Good Woodworking No 210
08/01/2009 11:05:00

Hello Guys

We've checked with our distribution company and there has been a hiccup with subs issues being sent out, they have now been dispatched and should be with you over the next couple of days – you're not alone, even Andy King and Dave Roberts (on the GW team) haven't received their copies. Our sincerest apologies for the delay. By the way, Ron Davis' missing copy from last month was a one-off and unrelated to this.

Richard, regarding the show I should add that the tickets are £2 cheaper this year and are valid for all three days of the show, so the organisers are working hard to do the best by you. IWEX is a very different show to the D&M shows, an open market environment in effect, and because of the nature of putting on independent demonstrations and masterclasses and other entertainments, as well as the covering the overheads of a venue such as Ally Pally, it's simply not possible to make it a free show. Hope this addresses your concerns.

All the best

Jon

Jonathan Bentman

Editor-in-Chief

Good Woodworking

Thread: Good Woodworking or The Woodworker
01/12/2008 11:14:00

Hello Melanie

Good question - I sense a debate in the offing!

I'm the editor-in-chief for both titles, so am completely open as to whether you take one or the other.

Ralph Laughton, editor on The Woodworker, likes to make the quip, 'we show you how'. The essence of his magazine being a straightforward but thorough run-through on all matters woodworking, be it how to make things, techniques (including turning) or the performance of the latest tools. The section called 'workshop' would I suspect be of particular interest to your husband as here Ralph and his team do put the spotlight on techniques and matters pertaining to workshop life. I should add the magazine does also feature a  strong section on project making, you can expect to see between four and six per issue.

Now, putting my Good Woodworking hat on, I'll tell you GW is rather more 'left field', leaning slightly towards the aspirational influences in woodworking. There are more features than how-to articles, looking at personalities and colleges, investigating matters like where to source timber, as well as putting the spotlight on the unusual (eg a recent article on wooden sailing ship making). There are even two columnists, where one amateur and one professional maker talk about life in their workshops. If The Woodworker concentrates on the 'how', then Good Woodworking is often musing on the 'why'. Otherwise, the underlying material is, I think, very similar - woodworking. Regarding projects, in GW these rarely number higher than three.

I suspect it depends on the disposition of the reader, what kind of stimuli you're looking for. Good honest practical help around the workshop? Take The Woodworker. Like to think around the subject, keen on finding how to widen your horizons through the medium of woodworking? Then Good Woodworking.

Hmm, I hope that helps. Either way, as you'll see when you hit the advert on the homepage here, you'll see we have some great subscription offers available.

If you need any more help, do let me know.

Otherwise, any other comments from the forum members?

Best

Jonathan

Jonathan Bentman

Editor-in-Chief

Good Woodworking

The Woodworker

www.getwoodworking.com

Thread: 4000 Members!
18/11/2008 13:29:00

Ha, Ben's nipped out for a couple of hours, so I'll sneak in an answer from the editorial desk.

Toothy, to your question GW or TWW? I could say 'either' but instead I'll say both! Both are generalist magazines, the difference is more in the editorial style rather than the content. That said, you'll find more narrative style features in GW whereas TWW has more 'how to' items and more projects. So, editorially we think the two are complementary, but, to be fair, that's for the readers to decide.

Best

Jonathan (Editor in Chief across GW and TWW)

Thread: In this month's Good Woodworking
18/11/2008 09:30:00

Ron

Drop me a line on  jon.bentman@myhobbystore.com (and if that rebounds then john.bentman@myhobbystore.com - a technical glitch there, that should be sorted by now) with your address and I'll get one in the post to you today.

Best

Jonathan

14/11/2008 10:01:00

Hello Ron

If your GW doesn't arrive soon let me know and I'll put another in the post for you, direct from here. You should certainly have had it by now.

Best

Jonathan

Thread: If you can't move, improve!
08/10/2008 13:18:00

I'm seeing them tomorrow, over in Germany, so I'll ask. Won't be back until Monday, so will let you know then.

JB

06/10/2008 15:28:00

Hello Ollie

You'll find Andy Standing tested the Bosch PFS65 in the latest The Woodworker (Autumn Special), giving it 4.5/5 score – seemed rather impressed. If you're quick, you'll find a copy in the newsagents still: turn to pages 82-83 and have a speed read, then put it back and run for the doors. . Of course you could always buy the magazine, but where's the fun in that!

Best

JB

Thread: The latest Good Woodworking (205)
26/08/2008 16:34:00
Hello all Just a quick note here to say Hi and Thanks. Ralph, I'm glad you liked the issue (nice of you start a thread to say so, too) and I guess I'm chuffed you appreciated the changes to the website section! Clive, I'm glad you're enjoying the issue too. The feedback from you guys has been valued and while, as Oddjob says, some of the conceived changes have been coincidental with our discussions, we are striving to achieve a certain mix of content that we think woodworkers would appreciate - so all your comments help. I have to say Ben Plewes did a good job for us this month, in that context, with his two features contributing much to the mag's balance and sense of woodworking. The Pegasus (boat) story was meant to be quite hands-on too, but (to be honest) we came upon the story too late to see and witness the real nitty gritty work. I think Phil Davy (the author) had his work cut out in the circumstances, but looking at that story how did you rate it? What did you like, what didn't you like? Was there anything missing? I ask these questions as we'd like to continue the series, and we want to be sure we include the right material each time around. Anyway, back to the day job. Preparing the next GW. Glad to see you're liking WW so much too Ralph. As Ben says, two very different reads. All the very best Jonathan
Thread: Prizes
01/08/2008 16:45:00
To put your minds at rest, and to confirm that George is right in the first instance – we have recently been conducting telemarketing activities with a special promotion for listed readers like yourselves. Magicalia Publishing are looking to increase both the magazine’s profile and readership this year and would therefore like to offer you the opportunity to try our magazine, directly from us, to your door, for a trial period at a very reduced rate.  We are offering your first three issues for just £1 when you subscribe by direct debit. After your first three issues your payment is processed at the reduced rate of just £7.50 a quarter, saving a very handy 30% on the cover price. I have been speaking with our telemarketing team today to ensure that they are clear on their communications when contacting customers and I can assure you that it is not our intention to mislead any of our readers, it is our intention to offer them a great discount as a reward for taking out a subscription. Jonathan Bentman Editor in Chief Good Woodworking
Thread: Good Woodworking No 210
08/01/2009 11:05:00

Hello Guys

We've checked with our distribution company and there has been a hiccup with subs issues being sent out, they have now been dispatched and should be with you over the next couple of days – you're not alone, even Andy King and Dave Roberts (on the GW team) haven't received their copies. Our sincerest apologies for the delay. By the way, Ron Davis' missing copy from last month was a one-off and unrelated to this.

Richard, regarding the show I should add that the tickets are £2 cheaper this year and are valid for all three days of the show, so the organisers are working hard to do the best by you. IWEX is a very different show to the D&M shows, an open market environment in effect, and because of the nature of putting on independent demonstrations and masterclasses and other entertainments, as well as the covering the overheads of a venue such as Ally Pally, it's simply not possible to make it a free show. Hope this addresses your concerns.

All the best

Jon

Jonathan Bentman

Editor-in-Chief

Good Woodworking

Thread: Good Woodworking or The Woodworker
01/12/2008 11:14:00

Hello Melanie

Good question - I sense a debate in the offing!

I'm the editor-in-chief for both titles, so am completely open as to whether you take one or the other.

Ralph Laughton, editor on The Woodworker, likes to make the quip, 'we show you how'. The essence of his magazine being a straightforward but thorough run-through on all matters woodworking, be it how to make things, techniques (including turning) or the performance of the latest tools. The section called 'workshop' would I suspect be of particular interest to your husband as here Ralph and his team do put the spotlight on techniques and matters pertaining to workshop life. I should add the magazine does also feature a  strong section on project making, you can expect to see between four and six per issue.

Now, putting my Good Woodworking hat on, I'll tell you GW is rather more 'left field', leaning slightly towards the aspirational influences in woodworking. There are more features than how-to articles, looking at personalities and colleges, investigating matters like where to source timber, as well as putting the spotlight on the unusual (eg a recent article on wooden sailing ship making). There are even two columnists, where one amateur and one professional maker talk about life in their workshops. If The Woodworker concentrates on the 'how', then Good Woodworking is often musing on the 'why'. Otherwise, the underlying material is, I think, very similar - woodworking. Regarding projects, in GW these rarely number higher than three.

I suspect it depends on the disposition of the reader, what kind of stimuli you're looking for. Good honest practical help around the workshop? Take The Woodworker. Like to think around the subject, keen on finding how to widen your horizons through the medium of woodworking? Then Good Woodworking.

Hmm, I hope that helps. Either way, as you'll see when you hit the advert on the homepage here, you'll see we have some great subscription offers available.

If you need any more help, do let me know.

Otherwise, any other comments from the forum members?

Best

Jonathan

Jonathan Bentman

Editor-in-Chief

Good Woodworking

The Woodworker

www.getwoodworking.com

Thread: 4000 Members!
18/11/2008 13:29:00

Ha, Ben's nipped out for a couple of hours, so I'll sneak in an answer from the editorial desk.

Toothy, to your question GW or TWW? I could say 'either' but instead I'll say both! Both are generalist magazines, the difference is more in the editorial style rather than the content. That said, you'll find more narrative style features in GW whereas TWW has more 'how to' items and more projects. So, editorially we think the two are complementary, but, to be fair, that's for the readers to decide.

Best

Jonathan (Editor in Chief across GW and TWW)

Thread: In this month's Good Woodworking
18/11/2008 09:30:00

Ron

Drop me a line on  jon.bentman@myhobbystore.com (and if that rebounds then john.bentman@myhobbystore.com - a technical glitch there, that should be sorted by now) with your address and I'll get one in the post to you today.

Best

Jonathan

14/11/2008 10:01:00

Hello Ron

If your GW doesn't arrive soon let me know and I'll put another in the post for you, direct from here. You should certainly have had it by now.

Best

Jonathan

Thread: If you can't move, improve!
08/10/2008 13:18:00

I'm seeing them tomorrow, over in Germany, so I'll ask. Won't be back until Monday, so will let you know then.

JB

06/10/2008 15:28:00

Hello Ollie

You'll find Andy Standing tested the Bosch PFS65 in the latest The Woodworker (Autumn Special), giving it 4.5/5 score – seemed rather impressed. If you're quick, you'll find a copy in the newsagents still: turn to pages 82-83 and have a speed read, then put it back and run for the doors. . Of course you could always buy the magazine, but where's the fun in that!

Best

JB

Thread: The latest Good Woodworking (205)
26/08/2008 16:34:00
Hello all Just a quick note here to say Hi and Thanks. Ralph, I'm glad you liked the issue (nice of you start a thread to say so, too) and I guess I'm chuffed you appreciated the changes to the website section! Clive, I'm glad you're enjoying the issue too. The feedback from you guys has been valued and while, as Oddjob says, some of the conceived changes have been coincidental with our discussions, we are striving to achieve a certain mix of content that we think woodworkers would appreciate - so all your comments help. I have to say Ben Plewes did a good job for us this month, in that context, with his two features contributing much to the mag's balance and sense of woodworking. The Pegasus (boat) story was meant to be quite hands-on too, but (to be honest) we came upon the story too late to see and witness the real nitty gritty work. I think Phil Davy (the author) had his work cut out in the circumstances, but looking at that story how did you rate it? What did you like, what didn't you like? Was there anything missing? I ask these questions as we'd like to continue the series, and we want to be sure we include the right material each time around. Anyway, back to the day job. Preparing the next GW. Glad to see you're liking WW so much too Ralph. As Ben says, two very different reads. All the very best Jonathan
Thread: The content of Good Woodworking
05/08/2008 09:48:00
Hello Ralph Very much appreciating the dialogue here, I am understanding your comments and there are times I feel as frustrated as yourself on the apparent lack of change in GW. Curiously I've had others say to me that they've seen an immediate change! Well, I'm with you, I don't see it either! Now then, things are changing, though, only slowly. I'll let you know now that the wee bit in the magazine about this website has changed for this month (hurrah!), and as you suggest it does now do a lot more to sell the many other facets of the site, and it is a whole lot bigger too. And it contains no witty (or not) remarks about the members posts either. What has complicated and slowed change has been the behind the scenes somewhat seismic changes among the staff. While GW has been relatively stable, with The Woodworker we've had an almost monthly change in the makeup and duties of the team and this has absorbed a lot of our creative efforts. As a consequence GW has held something of a holding pattern. But I'm not oblivious to yours and others comments and given the opportunity to really get our teeth into these matters you will see some modifications. I guess I have to ask for some patience on your part, but we will get there. Please do keep making comments on the subject, as you feel appropriate. Oh, and the almost-terse comment of mine wasn't aimed at you Ralph! It wasn't aimed at anyone, merely a reminder that if we were all sat in a pub talking about these things we'd all do it with a lot more tact than we sometimes see on forums. A healthy discussion is a well-spirited one. Right, back to work for me. All the best Jonathan
04/08/2008 15:07:00
Just a quick response as this is proving to be a very busy Monday. Thanks to Clive, Ant and Olly for some nicely reasoned observations on the magazine, much appreciated. Given that we're only talking three well-reasoned critiques here it'll be a little reckless to make those the foundations for a whole new direction (or redirection) for the magazine, but nonetheless having an understanding of where you are coming from, with respects to your experiences and aspirations, and hence your expectations from a magazine, is still extremely helpful. I would still encourage others to join in the debate with similarly well constructed discussion. To briefly answer Ralph's query, I think he'll find that Ben (obviously, as the site editor), Andy King and Mike Riley do from time to time post on this forum. And the reason these team members respond that people are happy with the magazine is because we do actually receive positive feedback too. We're getting a thumbs up from OPJ there obviously, but also from conversations with woodworkers we meet, from the woodworking industry itself, as well as through the occasional letter. And there is of course the silent majority - the readers who buy and subscribe, and make the magazine – despite the criticisms – a very strong performer on the news stand. Of course, forums being what they are, and human nature too, it seems many are rather all too eager to knock or criticise without any real sense of reason or understanding - and obviously enjoy doing it in what they perceive as a very public arena. Well, that's their prerogative. And I guess that's where I applaud Clive and Ant's style - they're not just knocking for the sake of it. So again, thanks chaps. Anyway, I must get back to the magazines. Will check in again later, hopefully to a few more responses. Best Jonathan
01/08/2008 18:03:00
Hello Clive (and all) I've not been in the habit of posting on this forum, but your comments have (at last) drawn me in. Firstly I have to commend you (Clive) on a well structured appraisal of the magazine and let me assure you, your comments are fully taken on board. And fear not I do not in the least feel personally assuaged by your comments. I too feel a woodworker would be a better choice for an editor but it would seem the woodworker-editor hybrid is a tough one to track down, so what we have is a team of woodworkers (working to define the content) with a journalist to help them to bring their ideas to the printed page. Or rather journalists - our very talented production editor, Darren Loucaides plays the major role in bringing GW together. I should add that your observations and comments are not uncommon, GW has become something of an acquired taste since, as you say, taking on a fairly 'journalistic' bias over that of day-to-day woodworking matters. This was was direction set by the former editor (and now editor-at-large) Dave Roberts – not the woodturner aka TRDR – and it is a direction I (or rather the GW team) have yet to decide is to continue, or otherwise. Certainly it has stood to make GW a 'Marmite' magazine - you know, one you either love or hate. I should add that I am also overseeing The Woodworker magazine, where I have Ralph Laughton and Mike Lawrence taking up the day-to-day duties. Comparing GW with WW – a more divergent pair of titles you couldn't attempt to find. The Woodworker is most certainly grounded in woodworking as practiced in garden shed workshops up and down the country, and, as Ralph is want to say, its mantra is 'let us show you how'. So if you are finding GW a little wide of the mark, then I would politely suggest you have a look at The Woodworker as an alternative (or, if I could wish for a perfect world, a complementary) read. Anyway, back to GW. The content is always under review, as is the 'house style' if I may call it that. It may be with time the magazine will again feature a greater percentage of nitty gritty in-the-workshop woodworking, but while I am also receiving an equal number of positive, delighted, responses to the current content and style (which I do), I will not immediately ditch the set-up. This forum, being attached to both magazines (and sister title Practical Woodworking) as it is, is the perfect place to debate the content of the magazines. And so I would enthusiastically encourage all members who are also readers to continue to do so. The more comments the better, and don't spare the blushes - but at the same time, don't forget to tell us what content you do like! So in signing off for now, I can do no better than to repeat Clive's own, well considered, closing words: "Now, the person that never made a mistake never made anything and I have made lots of things and lots of mistakes and I may be wrong on some or all of the above comments but at the end of the day I am sure we all, as readers have the best interests of GW at heart, so what do you think? Let us know." Oh, and finally, likely as not I'll not get to see the forum again until Monday, so be patient regards responses, I will get back to you. (Of course Ben's going to get back from his honeymoon on Monday and wonder just what has happened in his absence!) All the best Jonathan Bentman Editor in Chief Good Woodworking The Woodworker getwoodworking.com
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact