By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Alan Holtham

Here is a list of all the postings Alan Holtham has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Mystery wood
15/02/2010 20:37:51
looks like Robinia to me, though I am bracing myself to be wrong!

Alan
Thread: Idiot 'experts'
10/02/2010 20:23:35
Keep these coming folks, I am beginning to feel better already!

I once spent a weekend making a very large box to act as a collecter for a dust extractor I was building. Yes, you've guessed it, when I came to take it outside it was about 12" wider than the door. Two minutes of rage with a lump hammer sorted it, though none of the  pieces left was bigger than about 12" square and the project never did get finished!

Not long ago I was using the nail gun to fix some 12mm thick moulding to a 30mm doorframe. I am always careful not to hold underneath the path of the nail but this was tricky to position so gripped it between thumb and forefinger right by the gun. No danger anyway I thought as I am only using 35mm nails and slid a new strip into the gun. What I had forgotten to do was remove the last few 60mm nails first! Ouch

The list goes on

and on

and on!

Keep up the bad work!

Alan
09/02/2010 22:27:24
oh dear, that was quick, I had hoped nobody would notice!  (dream on)

In my defence, your honour, I would add that we were up against a very tight timescale with copy dates to complete this shed due to the bad weather and had to do a very quick mock up for the front cover. As it was snowing, I couldn't get the shed out from under cover to get the correct angle for the shot, I just temporarily screwed the door in place on the 'wrong' side so I could take the shot from the left, without thinking that it was then reversed as regards the braces. A stupid mistake which I realised when I came to fit the door properly, and the editor had given me a ticking off! But by then it was too late. At that stage you'll see that fortunately I had not cut the locks into the actual door, but it is actually now fitted properly. Anyway that my excuse!!

What is worse is that I did actually do the same thing but  for real in another magazine not that long ago. Will I never learn?

Noone will ever know by Show day, well only about 10,000 people.

Marc pm me with your address and I'll send you your fabulous prize!

Its been one of those weeks, just depth variable!

Best regards to all, keep those cock-ups coming,

Alan

09/02/2010 21:08:03
Just occasionally, no actually quite often these days, you see so called experts making a major cock-up on what should be a very simple job. What is worse is when it is featured in all its glory in a magazine! Even worse is that sometimes nobody even notices.

So I have a little competition for you. Can you spot the howler by one of these 'experts', (mentioning no names!) who should know better in the latest edition of The Woodworker. First one to spot it wins my prize of a Veritas spokeshave kit, but you also have to make me him feel better by coming clean about one of your own stupid mistakes.

Happy reading, you shouldn't have to look too hard!

Cheers,

Alan

Thread: August issue Woodworker
11/07/2008 07:29:00

Guys, The above is meant to be in fun, but you have youselves just proved that gaurding is open to interpretation and common sense. You will not find anyone hotter on machine safety than me, but persoanlly I find it much safer to guard up to the edge of the board, and let the timber act as guard for the rest. Of course your hand would be exposed if the timber kicked back, but only if you were planing short pieces, which I never do, a definite no-no. 

I reckon I have seen most of the accidents possible on machines and planer ones are relatively rare, but are always caused by incorrect feeding without the use of push sticks etc. Try using a push stick with the guard in place as you suggest, to my mind much more dangerous.

Anyway make your own assessment of the risks and work accordingly to suit your personal competence, but above all take care.

Cheers,

Alan

11/07/2008 07:26:00

Ben,

"you need to have a word with OPJ- I'm not happy with the way he's removing the guard inside the extractor outlet. Its put there to protect your hands. "

"Well, I don't expect you can do anything about that but I imagine there are some beginner's who might be tempted to set up their machines in a similar fashion... "

"...Now where's that hacksaw blade?"   " ...there is no excuse for not using the guards properly."

Alan.

11/07/2008 07:29:00

Guys, The above is meant to be in fun, but you have youselves just proved that gaurding is open to interpretation and common sense. You will not find anyone hotter on machine safety than me, but persoanlly I find it much safer to guard up to the edge of the board, and let the timber act as guard for the rest. Of course your hand would be exposed if the timber kicked back, but only if you were planing short pieces, which I never do, a definite no-no. 

I reckon I have seen most of the accidents possible on machines and planer ones are relatively rare, but are always caused by incorrect feeding without the use of push sticks etc. Try using a push stick with the guard in place as you suggest, to my mind much more dangerous.

Anyway make your own assessment of the risks and work accordingly to suit your personal competence, but above all take care.

Cheers,

Alan

11/07/2008 07:26:00

Ben,

"you need to have a word with OPJ- I'm not happy with the way he's removing the guard inside the extractor outlet. Its put there to protect your hands. "

"Well, I don't expect you can do anything about that but I imagine there are some beginner's who might be tempted to set up their machines in a similar fashion... "

"...Now where's that hacksaw blade?"   " ...there is no excuse for not using the guards properly."

Alan.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Triton
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Robert Sorby
Marriott & Co
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact