By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jim Beach

Here is a list of all the postings Jim Beach has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Yandles Show - 11th & 12th April
26/05/2009 16:10:20
Hi OPJ,
I have been to the show a few times and still enjoy it. I think part of this is due to the area of Martock and the environment that creates. On the subject of an entrance fee, I dont think the show is big enough to warrant this and I probably would not go if there was one. Allthough there is a fair bit of equipment to see I dont think it compares to the old Axminster shows that were held at Shepton Mallet and Exeter and probably doesnt try to. As for your friends comment I think after you have been to these shows a few times you have seen most of it before and they are just more of the same.
Jim
Thread: disposing of wood shaving
19/05/2009 20:51:37
Hi Matt,
I have a neigbour with some cats, she takes all of the shavings from my planer for pet bedding.
Jim Beach
Thread: alan spence's question
27/04/2009 21:42:17
Hi Alan,
Greetings from Sully, I have used masking tape in the past to hold a joint together. I know it does't sound very strong but it worked on a 12mm thick panel I was making. I  used gorrila glue.
Jim
Thread: which magazine
11/12/2008 11:05:00

Andy,

I find that the best magazine (for me) varies from month to month, why subscribe to any of them, check them out each month and chose the best for you. I'm sure you will get better value for your money that way and if everyone did it it would keep the publishers on their toes.

Best of luck

Jim

Thread: crib & bed plans
29/11/2008 11:48:00

Hi Eddie

I have had a quick look at this site and as you say there are certainly lots of plans available. Did you notice that they do not supply the UK directly but apparanly there is a work around route to obtain the plans.

Thanks for the information.

Jim

27/11/2008 11:29:00

Hi Jim,

The book I was refering to is 'Childrens Furniture Projects' by Jeff Miller

IBSN 1-56158-504-1

I have checked on Amazon and they have 20 new and used from £5.19.

The book has plans for what he calls a cradle and a crib, I think we would call them a crib and a cot. Dave has good advise when he says to check the size of your mattress first. The advise to cut oversize and allow the wood to stabilize in the house is also good practice. I made my cot/beds in beech, good close grain with no splinters for the children.

I have seen pictures of Dave's cot and agree it looks great. As I do not have the facilities to turn the plans in the book suited me.

Best of Luck

Jim

26/11/2008 22:29:00

Hi Jim

Over the last couple of years I have made three cots and two beds for my grandchildren. The design was loosely based on one I found in a book on children's furniture. I think it is out in my garage at the moment I will find it and send you the details.

One bit of advise is to consider making a cot/bed ie a cot that can easily be converted to a child's bed at the appropriate time. this is what I did with my later versions. On these cots the sides will come off and by replacing the foot you have a bed.

Will contact you soon

Jim

Thread: In this month's Good Woodworking
28/10/2008 10:21:00

Hi Ben

Since my earlier comment I have revisited the site and noticed that the location of some of the contributers is available in their profile.

This was all I was looking for at the time but OPJ's idea looks good

Jim

26/10/2008 19:25:00

Hi Toothy & Sparky

thanks for your replys, it would be nice to know where people are located, they may be on your doorstep.

Jim

26/10/2008 10:10:00

Hi Toothy,

Sorry your mag hasn't arrived. I noticed that you are overseas, do you know of a way of finding out where contributers actualy live? It doen't appear to be in anyones profile and I think it would be quite usefull.

Jim

23/10/2008 15:50:00

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your replies. I will try the new e-mail address.

I take both your points about catering for cabinet makers and turners but feel that they are different disiplines and I wonder how many people are serious about both. That is not to say that we can apreciate the skills of both.

You only have to attend one of the woodworking shows to see the amount of interest there is in turning and of course there are magazines that specificaly cater for this woodworking skill. There are also magazines that cater for funiture & cabinet making.

In these days when money is tight what sort of magazine will people go for? My thought is one that fully caters for their interest rather than one that is general, but thats just my personal feeling.

Thanks again for your replies

Regards

JIm

23/10/2008 12:36:00

Hi,

Tried to send an e-mail to Jon Bentman (jon.bentman@myhobbystore.com) regarding the Robin Nance article, it came back undelivered. Is this the correct address?

Comment on the content of GW, I do not do any turning so some of the magazine is of no interest to me therefore not good value.

Jim

Thread: The Bristol Five
24/09/2008 10:50:00

Mike'

thanks for that web site. I have had a look at some of the video presentations and it seems a brilliant idea. I was in Australia last year and wish I knew about it then. I think we forget how big Australia is and how remote some of the townships are, I can see the men sheds preforming a very important roll in those areas.

Thanks again

Jim

23/09/2008 22:15:00

Thanks Mike,

I will follow up your feedback and see if I can find a web site.

Having retired recently I have more time for woodworking but of course this is more of a serious hobby than a grey career change so pooling resourses would make sense.

Jim

23/09/2008 19:07:00

I found the article really interesting, does anyone know of a group of retired people doing the same sort of thing.

Jim

Thread: Honing guides ~ six of the best
15/08/2008 10:31:00

Hi Sooty,

The type of guide I use is very similar to the Axminster Honing Guide Pt. No. 340147 and costs £5.50. It is just a simple bog standard guide that will accept chisles as well. The smaller roller makes it easier to hone a curved edge. Axminster have a web site but I'm sure you can get this type in any reasonable DIY shop.

Best of luck

Jim

05/08/2008 19:58:00

Hi Derek,

Thanks for your reply I guess we are giving the same advice use a guide for repeatable excellent edges. I'm sure you agree that the very little extra time it takes is well reflected in the result.

Jim

05/08/2008 11:50:00

Hi Aaron,

A couple of years ago I bought a David Charlesworth DVD 'Hand tool techniques, Part 1: Plane Sharpening'. This DVD is a must have for anyone starting out, it has made a huge difference to the pleasure I get from my planes. David advocates the use of a honing guide and I know that some people will say he is probably too much of a perfectionist but it works for me.

Regards Jim

Thread: small band saw - any point?
15/07/2008 21:00:00

Jon,

I to work in my garage so space is limited. A few years ago I bought a Record BS250 bandsaw. It has been great, It can be put on the floor when not in use or put on a workmate bench when required. I have used it solely on hardwoods, just take it easy and listen to the saw. We would all like something bigger but this has been sufficient for any furniture I have made.

Jim

Thread: sketchup good or bad
15/07/2008 20:34:00

Hi Andy,

I have tried to use sketchup a few times without much success but as others have said it is free. I have problems trying to scale the drawings. Like most software packages I suppose if we persevere long enough we will get the hang of it.

I don't think it claims to be a drawing package like autocad for example.

Best of luck

Jim

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Robert Sorby
Craft Supplies
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Triton
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact