By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Conor ONeill

Here is a list of all the postings Conor ONeill has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Winging it
16/04/2013 11:35:52

Greetings everone.

The evenings are now longer again so it's back out to the garage to dust down the tenon saw and sharpen the chisels.

Now, normally I spend the winter months with a board and t-square drawing up plans for future projects. This time I'm winging it a little, as my two boys are growing fast and the easel could easily be outgrown if planned too far in advance! So there'll be a lot of "hmmm, perhaps there, yeah, that looks about right".

This feels alien to me, but I was wondering how you guys and gals set about your projects? Detailed drawings then hard labour, or rough sketches followed by "where did I leave that piece of paper?"

Conor.

Thread: Snow at last!
10/12/2012 15:15:07

Thank you! Next year Son #2 will be old enough to have one too!

07/12/2012 10:42:50

The recent snow in Newcastle meant my boy could finally take the sledge out for a spin (slide?!) - 18mths after building it! It's super smooth, glides effortlessly and is really quick, I'm very pleased. smiley

I had to take the pull-rope off the runners and attach it to the footplate as it was too short. Will cut a proper length over the weekend and rig it up again.

Thread: Advent crown
30/11/2011 15:46:44
Thanks everyone for the messages. I've put a pic with the candles in the album, and I'll post a pic later with lighted candles - can only do that on Christmas day!!

Conor.
29/11/2011 09:27:23
Thank you!

I see what you mean about cutting the centre one taller, but each block is made of two pieces of pine glued together then cut to equal lengths, so the height is predetermined. I could have cut it longer, but it would have to stand up on end with the end grain on top (is this making any sense?).

Conor.
28/11/2011 10:30:06
Hello Everyone,

It''s been a while since I last posted pics, mainly due to arrival of son #2 which means the garage/workshop rarely gets visited these days! But I did manage to squeeze in a small project in preparation for Christmas - an Advent Crown.

It''s a very simple design, that way I could knock it up in between nappy changes

I originally wanted the outer candle holders to be lower than the central one, but time was against me so I had to glue and screw in position. By putting a different coloured candle in the centre it works well!

It''s finished with yacht varnish (yes, yacht varnish!). a) I like the sheen it gives, b) it was quick and to hand and c) after Christmas this will be stored in the loft, so hopefully the yacht varnish will keep the moisture out!

Overall I''m quite pleased with this little thing. It''s such a simple design and takes up very little space on the table.

Conor.
Thread: What You doin
15/08/2011 12:08:40
I'm between projects at the moment.

Next up is a blanket box. Wood is currently acclimatising under the bed! Plans are finished, I'll try and post for feedback/advice. It'll be a slow burner unfortunately, as baby #2 is due in October, so woodwork will be taking a back seat for a while.

Conor.

Edited By Conor ONeill on 15/08/2011 12:09:42

Thread: Another newbie (complete!)
08/07/2011 08:56:56
Hi TrinityE,

Welcome to the forum. Have a look here: http://bit.ly/qOngj7
There are some courses in the Chelmsford and Rochford areas which might be suitable. My guess is that most courses will start around Sept time, with enrolement in August perhaps. Also, click through your local council website, they usually have an education section where they list schools that do evening courses etc.

If you need any help, tips or advice then this is the place to come. I'm pretty new to the woodworking scene myself and have found everyone here extremely helpful and open with their advice.

Keep us up to date on how you're getting on!

Conor.
Thread: Through the looking glass
01/06/2011 14:24:11
Ha, I had to do a double take when I looked at that. A great piece of work, although I agree that the paint scheme is, erm, an aquired taste.

Richard - You might want to take a second look, I see a mirror for sure!

Conor.
Thread: Planing a groove on face side
27/04/2011 12:40:30
Thanks, but the clamps will get in the way of the plane (the wood isn't so wide that it'll protrude out enough to allow clamping without snagging.)

Conor.
27/04/2011 11:54:40
Hi,

Will soon be moving on to next project which will (most likely) involve using a combination plane to cut grooves on the face side of wide(ish) panels (like on the side of a drawer to receive the base).

I'm wondring how best to mount and hold the piece on my bench...

For edge grooves it's simple, drop it in the vice and away your go. But I'm not sure how to best to secure it to my bench when I need to make a groove along the face so that it can take the horizontal and vertical loads of the plane.

Any ideas?

Conor.

Yep, I could do this using a router, but I prefer the "hands-on" approach! :
Thread: Child's deck chair
18/02/2011 09:53:48
Oh, I like this a lot! Simple yet elegant design.
How have you attached the armrests to the front legs?

Conor.
Thread: Evening Classes
15/02/2011 10:01:56
Update on Newcastle courses (Jan 2011):

Gosforth High School
Basic Woodworking
16wks - Thursdays 18:30 - 21:00
£88

Conor.

Thread: More step by step photos?
14/02/2011 13:44:29
Thanks everyone for the suggestions and links/photos.

Big Al - I remember watching the NYW when it was on tv, he makes some stunning pieces on the show. We used to joke that he had a machine for every piece of furniture: "To make the oak table I first put a piece of 6x4 into my table-making machine... Then apply several layer of wax"

I usually have my phone to hand when I'm in the workshop and take a few photos as I'm going along - not the best quality but it does the job!

Cheers everyone!
Conor.
10/02/2011 09:37:01
Ok, I'm probably gonna get some stick for this but as an amateur woodworker I look for help whereever I can get it.

I thoroughly enjoy browsing through the photo albums on this site, and there have been some very impressive and beautiful pieces posted. But my main gripe is that there aren't so many photo albums which follow the construction of the pieces.

I've often looked at pieces and wondered what type of joint has been used, what the assembly sequence was, etc. etc.. And yes, I know that people here are very friendly and more than willing to answer questions, but sometimes a few additional pictures can help immensely.

What do you guys think?

Conor.
Thread: CD cabinet
15/12/2010 13:12:01
Nice job.
Although when I first saw the pic of it with the doors open, I thought it was a drinks cabinet!!! Baileys in the centre, glasses in the door...

Christmas is great!

Conor.

Thread: Rounding the sides of a hole
15/11/2010 08:50:59
Thanks everyone for the advice. I've started the project and will post some pics soon. I'm looking to recreate this design, but using ply at the sides as I always like the striped effect you get on the edges when rounded.

Conor.

Edited By Conor ONeill on 15/11/2010 08:51:18

12/11/2010 11:00:52
Hmmm, thanks for that. I'll browse through my router bits and see if there are any suitable. It might have to take a bit of jiggery-pokery to get a proper semicircle though.
12/11/2010 09:17:28
Hi,

I'm planning to use 12mm ply for the sides of a step stool. I wand to cut a hole (~50mm diam) through the ply on either side to allow the step to be pick-up-able (?)....

Once I've cut the hole, how is best to round-off the interior to give a nice smooth rounded grip? (i.e. the interior edge to be rounded to a semi-circle)

Conor.
Thread: Boards and T-Squares
08/11/2010 09:55:02
Christmas *is* coming....
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Chippendale
Tool Post
D&M Tools
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact