By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ged Meager

Here is a list of all the postings Ged Meager has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Barometers and clocks
03/10/2010 10:23:37
Can't beat the above Derek  enjoy
GED

Edited By Ged Meager on 03/10/2010 10:24:07

Thread: Urgent help required
13/09/2010 20:50:18
I have a friend who as a result of a stroke has had both legs amputated just above his knees but has full use of both arms and hands  He wants to learn to turn any hints tips or contacts you might have would be most appreciated
woodturner ged
Thread: Advise needed.
09/09/2010 19:08:26
Hi James ,I personally don't like Record saws I have a 10'' table saw  I find the blade changing a fiddle. The rip fence I don't like at all theres no fine adjustment to it and it doesn't stay paralel to the blade leading to stock binding up the is no adjustment on the far end of the fence so you can't set it up and leave it  I would;'t recommend it at all
GED MEAGER
Thread: turning wooden fruit
31/08/2010 19:36:10
I would love a copy any chance happy to pay p&p
woodturnerged.
Thread: how to loose your fingers
20/08/2010 13:39:15
Looking at the replies to my post I can see there are a few budding casualties out there As for his hand being away from the blade if you'd had one of  these machines kick up on you you'd know how far they can jump when under load. I don't want to get into a long argument with anybody on this subject but those machines have two handle for a reason.  and when youv'e seen four fingers laying in the palm of a hand you realise what it is.  My stomach churns every time I see such a picture  So lets not be a bunch of your never a woodworker till youv'e lost  a fingure guys. Having worked in many casualties   MOST ACCIDENTS HAPPEN IN THE HOME.
GED
19/08/2010 13:32:32
In my recent issue[231] of Good wood I was horrified to see on page14 Andy King  using a hand held electric saw with only his right hand he looks dead set on loosing his finger on his Left hand as they are laid out neatly to the side of the saw as he pushes it through a thick tile. I think this is probably one of the most stupid things |I have seen in my favorite mag. Now some of you may think I'm being paranoid but I can assure you I'm not  In a previous life I spent 22 years in the Royal Navy Medical service the last two I was running the medical department at Yeovilton Airbase. when one day a chippy came in saying excitedly can someone help me. Then he opened up his left fist which had  his 4 fingers from his right hand laying al nicely lined up and cut off neat and square. He'd been usung a similar saw one handed when it hit something hard and jumped the rest as they say is history SO PLEASE NO MORE PICS OF PEOPLE USING THESE SAWS ONE HANDED Despit the frozen peas and a blue light ambulance ride to hospital the poor fellow is still without his fingers.
ANDY YOU OF ALL PEOPLE SHOULD KNOW BETTER
GED MEAGER
Thread: RAILWAY SLEEPERS
12/08/2010 14:07:34
Has anybody tried using old railway sleepers to make furniture I know there is a pro  company that does it but I'm interested in hearing from any amature woody thats had a go how they cleaned em up and plank the matereal etc,
GED MEAGER
Thread: Hollow(ish) bowl
12/08/2010 14:03:50
Looks great to meproportiond etc . To be honest if  whoever you've made it for likes it thats all that matters come the end of the day
WOODTURNER GED
Thread: Rob Cosman
10/08/2010 22:44:54
Ive got two brand new copies of Rob Cosmans restoring hand planes still in their new polythene covers never played. I would love to swap with anyboby who has any of Robs DVDs es[pecially  his dvd on chisels.
ged meager
Thread: inverluted turning
08/08/2010 16:09:44
I'm just about to embark on the involuted trale myself unfortunately
|I've never seen any demos so got to work it out for myself unles  somone one can suggest some literature or a video. Bas what a great piece very professional
woodturner ged
Thread: Coffee Table - Big Mistake!
08/08/2010 16:02:52
Been there seen it done it got the T shirt etc etc. Make a new top is your only realistic cure Mabe change it shape to oval etcthink ten times cut once cheaper that way
woodturner ged
Thread: how to sharpen scraper plane blade
24/07/2010 10:35:22
Hi fellow woodies  today I aquired a stanley scraper plane and need to know how to sharpen its blade I think I read somewhere that it has to be sharpened at 45 degrees but not sure I would very much appreciate some advice from my gooD woody buddies
GED
Thread: Dennis's first Craft Fair
19/07/2010 11:57:24
Hi Dennis you obviouslty have make some lovely stuff like the other woodies I'm sorry you didnt sell more. But the general public have no idea the time it takes the level of skill involved etc I know a very top class cabinet maker in Saville Spain who says the Spaniards would rather spend a thousand euros on a claped out rust bucket of a car than  a piece of furniture that will last generations so its not just the Brits who won't spend money. I-ve just recieved a commision to biuld a double bed in sapele and maple Its going to take me longer to find the wood than  make the bed!!! Do't be disheartened  and keep on turning Woodturner Ged[Spain]
Thread: Norm's Back
06/07/2010 16:17:44
Saw the show last week Corner chair followed by wall panneling I realy enjoyed them both. Don't go Norm Please
Thread: Sad Loss
29/06/2010 16:04:51
I have just learned today that the wife of the late great master craftsmen Tage Frid Died recently at the grand age of 92. she died peacefully in a Rhode Island nursing Home hopefully to join her beloved husband it that great shop in the shy RIP
Thread: scratch cards
27/06/2010 22:38:59
Thanks guys I'll bin the card and won't bother with any others that come through
27/06/2010 09:00:01
For the second time I have recieved a scratch card in my GoodWoodworking Magazine and for the second time I have what is reportedly a winning line not only that but on this card I have now, I have two winning lines but the phone number displayed is not recognised or its constantly engaged |I have tried phoning all times day, night early hours etc etc with no joy I am getting fairly convinced this is all a big CON I've emailed  My HobbyStore with no luck so I'm wondewring if this should be reported to trading standards. Unless you guys have any solutions
Thread: subscription number
23/03/2010 16:03:27
I've tried adding a 4 and a 0 the 0 is rejected as soon as I press save the 4 does nothing
how can I get to watch these lovely videos
woodturnerged
22/03/2010 22:39:13
Hi Richard yes I am the same as you but when I enter my number with just one zero and press thesave button that zero gets knocked of
Thread: dangerous turning video
22/03/2010 22:26:16
Thanks for all the replies for those who want to get fingers and flesh trapped between work and tool rest you'll keep the casualty departments busy beleave me' 22years working in emergency medicine. I've seen enough cuts and chopped of fingers Turning rules are there for a reason ignore them at your peril.They might sow your fungers back on but they never work the same.For those of you who want to turn beads with skews watchRay Jones do it he's fast safe and dont get kickbacks
woodturner ged
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Tormek
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact