By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Cristoff

Here is a list of all the postings Cristoff has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 2x2 Posts
31/01/2010 12:30:05
Hi All

Anyone have any ideas on how to make a jig for cutting arrow points on 2x2 for posts, on a table saw to make a safe cut.

many thanks
Thread: Derek's Treasure chest
05/09/2009 06:58:30
Derek

Really nice box one of the best  i have seen for a while, did you do the felt finish yourself, i always struggle to get mine to look anything but yours looks first class, also could i ask where you got the lock from.

Good job a real piece to be proud of

Regards
Cristoff
Thread: Newsletters
03/09/2009 08:54:46
Hi Ben

Like the Yeti, UFO's and Ghosts not sure if they really exist as i have never seen one

Cristoff

Edited By Cristoff on 03/09/2009 08:57:35

Thread: Going Down?
31/08/2009 09:23:11
Hi All

I enjoy the site and would say i too look in most days, but my observation on the lack of postings/ members would be that the site can be a bit clicky maybe for some people, and maybe that puts people off a little.

I would agree that sparky works his n**s off to pull things together, but like many clubs it can be hard to break into the click so maybe some members just give up.

Cristoff
Thread: Rutland Tools
25/08/2009 21:29:46
I have also had problems with late dispatch of goods i waited for over six weeks for them to send all the items i ordered on a dust extractor kit
very annoying they just seem to be a law to themselves, which is a pity as they offer a good range of items but i would look elsewhere next time

Thread: Finishing tips for oak
19/07/2009 19:54:10
Thanks for the tips guys, i think Alan has hit the nail on the head i did use wire wool in the danish oil process, guess thats something i will not repeat again

I think i will let the dust settle and see how i feel about the look of it in a few weeks time and then if i still dislike the blacking i will take mikes advice, but  its been a couple of days now and i am getting used to the weathering look already, i think it was just the inital shock when i saw the first black stains.

I have posted a pic in my album and the black does not look so bad on film  but as the old saying goes we all learn from our mistakes.

Cristoff

18/07/2009 19:54:10
I have just finished a garden seat in oak and have applied a couple of coats of danish oil however i now have the dreaded black tannin appearing on the peice, i have seen articles written about the staining that can appear in oak but must admit never realised it would be so much.

Anyone have any experience of this problem or any tips on what action if any can be taken

Cristoff
Thread: End joining timber
15/07/2009 17:20:39
I have recently been working on a project in oak and part of the job involved six boards at 70mm wide  x 30mm thick   x 1.800 long now i have been able to machine 5 of the boards but  have not enough timber to make the sixth in one length, however i can acheive what i need by joining end to end,
But i can not decide which way would be best to join lengthways, i have considered a half lap  dowell join or maybe a finger joint on the router, the piece will not take any weight but it will be on show, i must admit i am favouring the finger joint for the look of it but would be interested to hear other peoples views.

Cristoff
Thread: What would the ideal tool box be for a beginner??
03/07/2009 22:03:20
Not forgetting a set square Always usefull if not essential
Thread: Basato 1 Set Up
03/07/2009 17:02:40
Hi Bill

i have a basto also and  if you mean the longtitude limit stop to be the disc behind the blade this moves back and forth on an allen key, if you can post some pics of what you mean i will try to help more

Good Luck
Cristoff

Thread: Nice Work
27/06/2009 07:43:29
Just been admiring your work, its a piece to be proud of looks great
Thread: Fantastic Bench
25/06/2009 15:53:27
Hi Trikka

Just been admiring your work you have got a great talent some lovely pieces to be proud of, i love the garden bench its one of the best designs i have seen, where did you get the plans as i would love to have a go at making one like it
Regards
Cristoff
Thread: Garden bench plans
25/06/2009 09:05:09
Hi All

Could anyone help me to locate a plan for an oak style mortice and tenon garden bench

many Thanks
Cristoff

Thread: Drilling out on the lathe
24/06/2009 11:51:00
Thanks for all the advice guys i will try again and keep you all posted
Thread: side gate
24/06/2009 11:49:26
HiThomas

yes thats the type of bracing i mean you will need it to keep the gate squate just like a ledge & Brace door if you view my album you will see a pic of my gates to give you an idea.
Also what i have done in the past when a post is required is to sink a good 8 foot concrete post into the ground a good 2 foot with concrete around the bottom then attatch timber to the post for fixing hinges to , i find this is much more sturdy that a timber post and will last forever.

Good Luck & show us the results

Cristoff
24/06/2009 06:50:26
Hi Thomas

you could use either but i think that 6x4 would make the gates a little too heavy, i made a pair of gates for my house which were 6 foot each gate by 5 foot high and i used 5x3 with t&G infill and open rails at the top going to a curved toprail, and i have had no problems as long as you have a good size frame fixed well to the wall and big enough hinges, good bracing you should be ok.

hope this helps
regards
Cristoff
Thread: deck gate designs
24/06/2009 06:43:23
Hi Nick

The only way i see round this problem is to make the gates in two or three sections rather like a Bi-Fold door, not the easiest things to make either, i would try to talk the customer into a malle opening first i think !!!
Thread: Drilling out on the lathe
23/06/2009 16:37:48
Hi Derek
I thought that was the way it should work but on my chuck which is a Record it just pushes onto the other end of a smooth taper and there does not seem to be anyway to hold it to stop it turning, in your experience are the ones you have used the same?
23/06/2009 14:31:29
Hi All
Could someone set me straight on using a chuck for drilling out on the lathe.

I have tried this twice now and both times have had that thought is this how it should work, i have mounted my chuck in the tailstock ie pushed in the taper piece, but when i start to move it into the spinning workpiece, should the drill chuck spin also or remain still, the chuck its self just pushes onto the end of the MT but somehow to me this seems wrong, i think it should either move round or stay still but mine seems to be intermittent. Both times i have got my holes drilled but it has been an uncomfortable process
Can someone tell me is there a right or wrong way for this process.

Thanks
Cristoff
Thread: Big Als bookcase
22/06/2009 11:39:21
Al i have just viewed your album some lovely items there very impressive, can i ask how you curved the sides of that bookcase they look perfect
many Thanks
Cristoff
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact