By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Vaughn

Here is a list of all the postings Vaughn has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: finial 1.jpg
29/09/2008 07:54:00

hi marc

i think i started a bit too big on these. basically finished one. the window they are for is huge, and the curtain rod is a half round almost 2 inches wide. should finish up on about 4 inch diameter, slightly oval shape. will post final photo!

cheers

vaughn 

Thread: Pine bowl 1c.jpg
12/09/2008 21:50:00

Hi Marc

was the pine hard to turn in end grain? i really like the finish you got out of it. what did you use to finish with? also, what profile hollowing tool did you use?

i have access to lots of pine and saligna in round form, after seeing this i might give them a go. 

regards

vaughn

Thread: drawknife.jpg
11/09/2008 12:23:00

Hi George

have you had a look at http://www.oldtools.co.uk? they usually have very nice stuff, and right now are advertising new Ray Iles drawkives from about 29 pound.

Because of the brutal exchange rate and shipping costs i can't usually afford their stuff, but it is a good reference for price.

regards

vaughn

11/09/2008 11:23:00

Hi Marc

Thanks for the link, i read it and will use it for future reference. who makes the "restore" product? i don't think i've seen it in south africa.

if i can get it there are quite a few tools i have not bought that will be added promptly.

i live in an area where there are many antique/vintage stores, but some of the stuff seems virtually unsaveable. reckon i'll look more carefully in future.

regards

vaughn

09/09/2008 19:39:00

Hi Marc

Thanks very much! i wish i still had the pre-restoration photo. my pc was stolen, and still looking thru backups to see if i have it.

all i did was work through the various grits, from 60 to 800. i then used a buffing wheel with fine paste(pink in color, can't remember what grit). i did use a bit of lubricating oil, which i normally use with oilstones when i sharpen knives. thats it really. after all that the rust was gone, but some pitting remains. when i started you could barely read the markings. 

i reckon the oil, and the resulting slurry, does a good job of removing and sealing.

regards

vaughn

Thread: kiaat bowl1.jpg
09/09/2008 16:19:00

Hi George and Ralph

thanks very much! just got some interesting blanks, hope to post more soon.

vaughn

Thread: jarrah bowl side.jpg
09/09/2008 15:04:00

Hi Ralph

Thank you very much! this is the piece i referred to in "unbalanced blank". i tried both your and George's suggestions, which is how the vibration problem was solved.

i really appreciate the help and the feedback, good or bad

vaughn

Thread: A starter toolkit…
03/09/2008 21:39:00

Hi

I really enjoyed the article. i had an old spokeshave in my hand today, and didn't buy it. i reckon i'll go back for it tomorrow and give it a try. i recently bought a marples drawknife for the equivalent of 2 pound, and it turned out fantastic.

could we possibly see a similar article just on hand planes? 

Thread: unbalanced blank
31/08/2008 21:14:00

Hi Ralph and George

thanks very much for the ideas. i did add some weight to the lathe table, which helped the vibration alot.

I also put a strap around the block of wood, and tucked in a heavy bolt to act as a balance on the lighter side. this also worked well.

the vibration is at a minimum, and i have started to turn the hollow. the wood is very hard, so i'm probably in for an evening or two's worth of shaping.

i should be buying a new digital camera this week, and will definately post a picture.

thanks very much for the useful tips!

vaughn

31/08/2008 12:28:00

Hi all

i am trying to turn a hollow in a square(ish) piece of wood. it is quite unevenly worn, and very heavy. also, i don't think the wood is the same density throughout. i want to leave the shape as is, as the edges are very rugged and full of character. i think a nicely smoothed hollow would contrast very well. the wood is jarrah, approx 4 inches thick, and 10 across.

my problem is i can't get the thing balanced enough to faceplate turn it. regardless of where i put the faceplate i get very bad vibrations.

apart from trial and error, how do i get this thing centered?

Thread: skelton firmer chisel
22/08/2008 10:33:00
thanks derek! will do.
21/08/2008 20:02:00

Hi all

I bought a second hand chisel today, and would very much like to know a bit about its history. It is marked "C.I. Skelton & Co", with what looks like a unicorn emblem. it also has "sheffield" stamped on it, and the word "read" next to the unicorn. on the other side of the blade it is stamped "warranted cast steel".

i have not come across this make in south africa before. i bought it for the equivalent of 1 pound.

thanks for taking a look!

vaughn 

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Robert Sorby
Triton
Transwave 2017
Craft Supplies
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact