By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Vaughn

Here is a list of all the postings Vaughn has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: skelton firmer chisel
21/08/2008 20:02:00

Hi all

I bought a second hand chisel today, and would very much like to know a bit about its history. It is marked "C.I. Skelton & Co", with what looks like a unicorn emblem. it also has "sheffield" stamped on it, and the word "read" next to the unicorn. on the other side of the blade it is stamped "warranted cast steel".

i have not come across this make in south africa before. i bought it for the equivalent of 1 pound.

thanks for taking a look!

vaughn 

Thread: Pine bowl 1c.jpg
31/12/2008 21:37:00

Hi Marc

no worries! thanks for the reply, i have access to some pine and am keen to give it a go.

happy new year to you too!

vaughn 

Thread: mystery planes.jpg
26/11/2008 19:00:00

Hi Ben

thanks very much. i honestly don't know enough to distinguish the makes yet. i reckon i'll pass on these, as i have two stanley block planes already.

thanks again

vaughn

26/11/2008 15:17:00

hi all

i can get these on auction for a good price, but they have no markings. the guy has no idea. any guesses from anybody? please let me know what you think, auction closes tomorrow!

Thread: Gates almost finished
27/10/2008 10:25:00

Hi Malc

thanks very much, i appreciate it. i hadn't thought of fixing pillars to a wall, was going to fix the gate to the wall directly. i think i like your idea better.

will post a photo when i am busy with it.

regards

vaughn

27/10/2008 06:23:00

Hi Malc

i really like your gate! this is great timing, i am starting one this december myself. please answer a question or two.

what did you use to attach it to the walls? have you supported the middle with anything like wheels to roll on when it opens? lastly, what did you seal it with?

cheers

vaughn

Thread: bedside cabinet.jpg
20/10/2008 08:21:00

Hi Mike

to the best of my knowledge it is iroko. however i am not 100%. i can tell you that it darkens considerably over time, especially with a varnish or linseed oil coat.  have a look at my "iroko bowl" picture, and you'll see ralph and i have had a good chat about it.

by the way, i posted this after reading your post about cabinet makers not showing as much as turners. i made this one year ago, so i forgot about it for my gallery. You'll be pleased to hear i am in a cabinet making phase again, so more cabinet related posts soon. i like that you raised the topic, this is everyone's site, and anybody should be able to put their opinion or ideas out there to help things along. i agree with the sentiment that the site is fine as is, but you will always find that if things stay the same for too long it will eventually stagnate.

cheers

vaughn

Thread: bowlsssss 011 (992 x 744).jpg
19/10/2008 21:59:00

thanks dave

i see what you mean. its quite clever to turn the pieces after glue up! i haven't progressed that far yet, but your piece gives me an idea or two.

regards

vaughn

Thread: bedside cabinet.jpg
19/10/2008 21:52:00

Hi guys

thanks for the kind comments! the boss wanted some space for her stuff, and so it was. true to form this is twice the size of the previous cabinet, and it is already full.

next project is a blanket chest from the same wood for the foot of the bed.

cheers

vaughn

Thread: bowlsssss 011 (992 x 744).jpg
19/10/2008 21:45:00

Hi David

that is an awesome bowl, i really like it. how did you join the different pieces so smoothly?

vaughn

Thread: iroko set 1.jpg
19/10/2008 21:41:00

Hi Ralph

i took the photo with my mobile phone, will definately have to try again with the camera.

cheers

vaughn

Thread: iroko bowl.jpg
19/10/2008 16:46:00

Hi Eric

i like the sound of that. although i like how these studs look, i do prefer not to mix materials if i can. Any chance of a photo of these studs your club friend makes?

cheers

vaughn

Thread: iroko bowl.jpg
18/10/2008 21:52:00

Hi Ralph

I fortunately bought two sizes of studs for another project, and will be using the smaller ones on the small bowl. i'm aiming to keep the proportions of the rim and stud width the same.

This wood actually comes from a factory in my town, a massive steelworks. it is from crates used to transport very heavy (2 ton) hydraulic presses. the sections are all incredibly greasy and stained. in some places the wood looks spalted, but i think it is actually oil. 

the wood planes very nicely, but it is hell to sand. any type of sandpaper i have used erodes very quickly. it also has a fairly open grain, and a very irregular pattern on most of the planks.

i used most of it to build my bedside cabinets. reckon i'll post some photo's of that to aid Mike in his quest to promote cabinet making. hope the comments are kind, i intentionally made them very bulky and rough, sort of a "farmhouse" feel.

regards

vaughn 

18/10/2008 21:24:00

Hi Ralph

Thanks, i thought i'd try something a bit different, since the bowl is quite shallow. for some reason the studs are very popular right now, the furniture makers use them on just about everything. i make the odd bowl for a shop in my area, and the owner asked me to try something in this line. i am making another about half this size, to sell it as a set.

I must confess, to the best of my knowledge i think it is iroko! it is about 10.5 inches across.

regards

vaughn

Thread: P1010059 (992 x 744).jpg
12/10/2008 21:41:00

Hi Dave

i really like your bowl, fully agree with what george says. please tell what wood you used, especially the thin strips. also, how big is it approx?

like ralph says, can't wait to see whats next

regards

vaughn 

Thread: stanley no67 spokeshave.JPG
12/10/2008 17:57:00

Hi

Vanderbijlpark. Close on the Vaal River. My dad lives in the cape, just outside Paarl.

regards

vaughn 

Thread: stanley trademarks
10/10/2008 12:13:00

Hi all

i found this website while trying to see how old one of my stanley tools is. Hope you have a look, it really is quite interesting to see.

www.antique-used-tools.com/stantms.htm

regards

vaughn

Thread: stanley no67 spokeshave.JPG
10/10/2008 07:55:00

Hi Marc

The blade is stamped "Stanley" with the sweetheart emblem, and then "New Britain, Conn, U.S.A." I found a website with all the stanley trademarks, which dates this to 1919-1920.

I paid R45 (rand) for it, which is the equivalent of about 3 pound. i also bought a stanley block plane for R95, about 6 pound.

cheers

vaughn

09/10/2008 12:00:00

Hi All

I bought this stanley no.67 spokeshave a two days ago. i'm very happy with the condition it is in, but i suspect it may be missing a fence of some sort. pleasee let me know if any of you guys have sen these before.

thanks

vaughn 

Thread: laminated bowl.jpg
30/09/2008 08:57:00

Hi Ralph

thanks very much! i am running out of solid wood big enough to make one piece bowls, so i have to turf through the wood pile before anything happens. 

i am hoping to start some proper segmented stuff soon, so this is good practice.

cheers

vaughn

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Craft Supplies
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Marriott & Co
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Robert Sorby
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact