By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bill Wheeler

Here is a list of all the postings Bill Wheeler has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New chisels for sale
23/10/2019 13:39:53

Hello All

I have a set of 5 Ashley Iles MKII bevel-edged chisels for sale, new and unused.

25mm (1", 19mm (3/4", 12mm (1/2", 9mm (3/8" and 6mm (1/4".

Ill health forces sale. New cost is £132.12.

Open to sensible offers.

Many thanks.

Bill

Thread: Removing rust from hand tools
14/10/2019 16:50:21

Hello Ron

Thanks for your reply.

Oxalic acid is used in furniture restoration, but as you say, it is dangerous stuff.

It can be bought from Finneys Wood Finishes, they also have a great advice page on all things finishing and restoration.

Regards

Bill

13/10/2019 10:43:15

Thanks Karl1231, I'll give it a try.

Ron, can't open your link (blocked I suspect) can you resend/explain?

many thanks.

Bill

01/01/2019 09:59:56

Hello John, Thanks for your words of wisdom. My workspace does not get warm, I've spent some time updating/converting my garage into a usable workshop - replacing all windows for uPVC non-openers and new doors, but yet to solve the issue of air coming in through gaps in the roofing (corrugated profile) sheets. I'll use your suggestion of making cupboards for my planes etc after I've cleaned off the rust. Looking at a video of the Evapo-Rust, it really works well to completely clean off heavy rust. I've seen 5L for 30 pounds so might try this if all else is unsatisfactory. Happy New Year all.

27/12/2018 09:56:25

Hello All. Many thanks for your suggestions. I understand the Evapo-Rust can be reused, but I agree with Ron that 40 pounds is expensive. I have a perennial problem with my tools so I'll try the nylon pad and beeswax to see if that offers a more long-term solution. In the meantime, I need to draught-proof my garage turned workshop.

24/12/2018 12:21:36

Hello All. I need to remove rust from several tools (yes, my workshop lets in draught, but that's another task). I've looked at a solution called Evapo-Rust - 5L, £40.00. Does any one have any alternative methods of removing / eliminating rust from metal hand tools? Many thanks.

Thread: Router repair.
03/10/2013 09:29:10

Morning All

Many thanks for your suggestions, I'll certainly try Axminster, mtmc and a local plant hire shop, these must be cheaper than a replacement.

It's most likely to be the motor I suspect.

Regards.

Bill

02/10/2013 11:55:31

Hello All

It's with some embarrassment I write for help and advice!

I have a Bosch GOF1300CE router and have used it at too low a speed so the motor has blown up! (Didn't check the speed dial so more haste, less speed - so to speak)

Apart from going direct to Bosch, can anyone recommend a repair company I could contact - I live near Okehampton, Devon.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

Thread: Working plans
21/08/2012 19:43:55

Hello

I'm would lke to make an 'upmarket' dovecote and am looking for a suitable plan.

I've looked on Amazon and Google but nothing suitable.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be great.

Many thanks

Bill

Thread: Cabinet hardware...
11/08/2012 20:07:33

Hi Derek

Thanks for your reply.

I am hanging quite a heavy object, a Yew wine bottle rack holing 3 bottles, so the hangers need to be beefy.

I'll try the link you sent.

Regards.

Bll

11/08/2012 09:02:26

Hello All

I'm looking for a supply of single fixing plates - similar to the brass version sold by Rutlands - ref C3761 £12.95/pair, but hopefully more economic!

Steel or brass will suffice.

If anyone has a supplier they can recommend, I'd be grateful.

Many thanks.

Bill

Thread: fitting legs
26/06/2012 08:56:32

Derek

Many thanks for your help.

Apologies, I realise I didn't fully explain. Yes, I plan the simply fix the legs to the underside of the top without cross members. the top is 1.5" thick. So the plan is to create a rustic table.

Bill

25/06/2012 11:04:15

Morning All

I'm about to make a small simple table from a nice piece of waney yew with rustic log legs, however, other than using dowels to attach the legs, are there any other methods I could use?

Any ideas would be helpful.

Many thanks.

Bill

Thread: Good timber merchants
11/03/2012 08:39:48

Many thanks both for your very useful advice - tried Yell.com an have found 3 contacts - funny how the most obvious things turn up good results.

Regards,

Bill

25/02/2012 08:36:07

Hello All

Having moved to North Devon from East Sussex, I"m having problems sourcing local timber suppliers, my nearest are Yandles and Interesting timbers, all very nice if I want a day out!

So, can anyone recommend timber supliers in Devon, North or South or perhaps Cornwall?

Look forward to heating from you.

Bill

Thread: Is there a tool available?
08/01/2012 09:17:37
Morning

Thanks for your replies - I suppose the obvious answer would be to rout it, but good to have other suggestions.

Bill
30/12/2011 07:54:03
Hello All

I've been asked to make a holder to hold 24 wine bottles from a solid piece of character oak - around 100mm thick (4" in old money).

I've seen similar items where bottles are held by the neck, however the request is to hold the bottle by the bottom, so around 90mm diameter (3 1/2"). The holes will sink 75mm (3") into the oak.

So my question is, can I purchase a tool to speed-up production, or does anyone have a jig I can copy or is it just down to good old hand work?

Look forward to your views.

Regards.

Bill
Thread: Oak external door design / build method
06/09/2011 20:09:57
Evening All

Thanks for all your advice, I'll certainly look at Ian's articles and clear the workshop!

hopefully, I'll upload successful completed pics.

Apologies for not responding sooner.

Regards.

BIll
21/08/2011 10:00:46
Hello

I''d like to make a new front door for my house, it (the house) was built around 1730 so I''m looking for a design in keeping with the period - a solid oak, ledge and brace design 73" x 33" x 1.5" thick with a small window.

However, looking at ''engineered'' doors, they are made as a complete M&T frame with T&G boards as infill - I understand this is for more stability, however, I''m not too keen on this ''modern'' style, preferring an traditional L&B design.

Does anyone have any thoughts, tips etc they would like to share before I embark on this project?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards.

Bill

Thread: Rusty diamond stone
22/11/2010 20:03:02
Thanks to all for your replies.

it seems clear - use WD40 and make sure the stone is dry before using a schol eraser to remove waste. I'll give it a go.

The stone I have is a solid steel plate version, so hopefully I can clean it.

I too bought the Trend cleaning block only to discover it was a simple rubber, moved house and promptly lost it before I could try it!

I'm amazed various oils / fluids can be used on stones - just goes to show, you don't need to spend a fortune!

By the way, the stone i bought came from ITS London - very good value! 

Bill

P.S. More than 2 Wheeler's on this forum?  
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Tormek
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact