By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Richard Dow

Here is a list of all the postings Richard Dow has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Tool Storage
23/05/2009 21:30:50
hi  ben
it,s not easy to get organised and tidy,in a similar situation my self.with little time or good ideas as a stop gap i have screwed a piece of 1" chipboard 4x3 (feet) to the wall and all my small tools that can hang do so on nails.at least that go back in the same place now.

And was lucky to save three old chest of draws from the local dump,with six draws each i have place for srews and hardwear sandpaper ect.great for keeping the dust out off everything.
my electric hand tools go under the bench(bottom) in two wooden pull out boxes,small enough i dont do my back in lifting them out.
and two small draws under the bench(top) hold all router bits and drawing stuff.
lIn a perfect world i would have nice sliding doors keeping the dust at bay and small fingers out off harms way.
good luck in your endeavours...
great back to basics article look forward to the next article.
 I made my bench from The workbench book and later bought the work shop book both by scott landis:taunton press. was there a good jim toplin book.tool boxes i think ive loaned it from a norwegian library.  i recieved some great help with future ideas from readers  ,time and money at the mo.regards.
Thread: extraction system
27/09/2008 22:48:00

hi roger the big apple is certainly a lot busier than copenhagen is she happy with the switch.i had a look at that screw fix catalogue thay just about sell every thing.

I have my hands full this weekend wife is working and so im running around after my two boys,at 3 and 2 thay can get up to all sorts,and i hate to just sit them in front off the box,I did manage to paint  the last coat to the cieling and then i need to add coveing wooden ,something small.cant quite remember what thats is called in english,ill prepaint it and pin it up with my nail gun.

i am a bit off a horder and about 7 years ago i bought a mirror picture of a watermill,i plan to frame it an lead in the jionts with lead srtip bought in b&Q 4 yrs ago, at last my little idea will see the light.it should look nice when finished.

so you can tell im doing a little here and there ,i need to attach my sawdust collection unit too my thicknesser jionter  i have a 4" hose but the plastic flu that came with the sander does not seem to be effective or ive got it in the wrong place.im a sheet metal worker so i have the expierience to make some thing that will work.but i dont have a lot off woodworking experience and the picture brochure is off a different machine so it,s a bit off try and see at the moment.

nice to chat hope thats ok here.all the best richard.

23/09/2008 16:22:00

hi roger b

i get the general idea i hve a nose in the local d.i.y shop.cheers.

all the best,richa.

22/09/2008 22:54:00

hi roger

thanks for that info it did jolt my grey stuff,the copper wire in the sytem gives it all the same potential ie perfect earth.

is it possible to see drawings off blast gates and stuff,that roding port has me stumpped.

all the best regards,richard.

Thread: Making a stable door.
22/09/2008 22:43:00

hi mike

thanks for your help and feedback.as i am new to ythe forum .i think its great.

can i ask some more questions,the painted together tecnique,can you enlighten me?

scandinavian redwood is that from norway or sweden,?

i must addmit i like your idea with laminate,ill have to look into the price overhere.

all the best regards richard.

22/09/2008 21:40:00

hi sad sam,im new to this site and am very new to threads  and stuff.with reference to the book. the workshopbook i also tried to order it from my local libary here in denmark but the copy we had has gone missing.we saw that a second hand copy can be purchased from amozon.com at around a fiver money well spent. im going to check my self out a copy but the vat here cranks the price up soill have to pay 4 times the price.

the book was written in 1991 but is still in print just.

i seem to remember something about static electricity being dangerous  and there has to be good earthing but this must be normal with metal work in the workshop.

that serch forum has to be good try eh.regards richard. 

Thread: Garage Doors
14/09/2008 01:21:00
hi hugh i have also a swing up garage door that was thin cold in winter and needed sound proofing.i was lucky to get some 20 mm thick polystyrene panels that were 500 x500 i glued them to to door with evostick and used two 8 foot  x 4 foot  sheet ply lapped in the middle and screwed all the way around the edge its only 6mm thick but the difference in the winter is great and sound proof too.i used self tapping screws to the frame off the door and dispite the extra wieght the door works fine and has been up for five years.good luck.
14/09/2008 01:05:00
what great doors those stable doors eh,here at home we have two doors opening to a little patio and one to the back garden proper,two off these doors are now showing there age,and through lack off paint are really in need off replacing.they have a inner handle that lifts them up before you can push them open , opening outwards so there pretty secure but are mostley glass,with wooden frames with to youngsters in the house i,d like to change these compleatly anyone recall the wood these sables doors are made off.or are thay best painted.any ideas.
14/09/2008 00:45:00

hi sad sam,i got a great deal off good tips and pictures and a drawing off blastgates in a book by scott landis. the workshop book published by Taunton press .order it in your local libary and save a bundle.a real good read.tips on everything and real workshops. 

Thread: Shooting Board
14/09/2008 00:31:00

if you make your own sooting board does it have to be hard wood to be accurate;and should it have  a 45 degree edge or would it be better to make to seperate items.ideas any one.

Thread: Building kitchen cabinets
03/06/2008 20:39:00

dear  kieth Paul mike and baz

Thanks very much for the feedback on my kitchen units.It,s a great help to me a hobby carpenter just begining. I think I will use mellmine on the carcase and birch veneer on the last side that is in plan view. you was all agreeded that a deep frame to hold the door was also a good idea. Maybe if i save a bit ill get some thing nice for the doors.I have yet to find out the price for a sheet over here.

the pictures from kieth ill use as my basic ida the dimensions off 16 and 20 mm ill also be following.i cant wait to get started.regards to you all.keep your tools sharp and your wits about you. richard (rusty)

31/05/2008 15:18:00
Hello GW I like the idea of the stand alone units.it may allow me to do a bit off the kitchen at a time.But the kit form saves a lot off time.how does this compare with buying the material and biulding yourself from scratch.
27/09/2008 22:48:00

hi roger the big apple is certainly a lot busier than copenhagen is she happy with the switch.i had a look at that screw fix catalogue thay just about sell every thing.

I have my hands full this weekend wife is working and so im running around after my two boys,at 3 and 2 thay can get up to all sorts,and i hate to just sit them in front off the box,I did manage to paint  the last coat to the cieling and then i need to add coveing wooden ,something small.cant quite remember what thats is called in english,ill prepaint it and pin it up with my nail gun.

i am a bit off a horder and about 7 years ago i bought a mirror picture of a watermill,i plan to frame it an lead in the jionts with lead srtip bought in b&Q 4 yrs ago, at last my little idea will see the light.it should look nice when finished.

so you can tell im doing a little here and there ,i need to attach my sawdust collection unit too my thicknesser jionter  i have a 4" hose but the plastic flu that came with the sander does not seem to be effective or ive got it in the wrong place.im a sheet metal worker so i have the expierience to make some thing that will work.but i dont have a lot off woodworking experience and the picture brochure is off a different machine so it,s a bit off try and see at the moment.

nice to chat hope thats ok here.all the best richard.

23/09/2008 16:22:00

hi roger b

i get the general idea i hve a nose in the local d.i.y shop.cheers.

all the best,richa.

22/09/2008 22:54:00

hi roger

thanks for that info it did jolt my grey stuff,the copper wire in the sytem gives it all the same potential ie perfect earth.

is it possible to see drawings off blast gates and stuff,that roding port has me stumpped.

all the best regards,richard.

22/09/2008 22:43:00

hi mike

thanks for your help and feedback.as i am new to ythe forum .i think its great.

can i ask some more questions,the painted together tecnique,can you enlighten me?

scandinavian redwood is that from norway or sweden,?

i must addmit i like your idea with laminate,ill have to look into the price overhere.

all the best regards richard.

22/09/2008 21:40:00

hi sad sam,im new to this site and am very new to threads  and stuff.with reference to the book. the workshopbook i also tried to order it from my local libary here in denmark but the copy we had has gone missing.we saw that a second hand copy can be purchased from amozon.com at around a fiver money well spent. im going to check my self out a copy but the vat here cranks the price up soill have to pay 4 times the price.

the book was written in 1991 but is still in print just.

i seem to remember something about static electricity being dangerous  and there has to be good earthing but this must be normal with metal work in the workshop.

that serch forum has to be good try eh.regards richard. 

Thread: second hand tools;footprint
16/09/2008 20:39:00
thanks to all replys interesting reading i think 30 /38 is not a bad age for a chisel i have 6mm, 19 mm and 25mm but there chemical etched in inches and metric with a little footprint logo.paited yellow on top witha brass ferrul to hold the blade in place.funny thay chose the stanley yellow and black.rad.
14/09/2008 01:43:00
hello g w and all members.i read with interest the article on second hand tools by ray.his suggestions on boot markets made me remember a great place  near a round about near wickford . i picked up three chisels by footprint off shefield with black wooden handles with a  yellow band at the top.they are old but are real thick and chunky.they are really sharp now but i needed the practice.im really pleased with them but would love to get an idea when they was made.regards.
Thread: Garage Doors
14/09/2008 01:21:00
hi hugh i have also a swing up garage door that was thin cold in winter and needed sound proofing.i was lucky to get some 20 mm thick polystyrene panels that were 500 x500 i glued them to to door with evostick and used two 8 foot  x 4 foot  sheet ply lapped in the middle and screwed all the way around the edge its only 6mm thick but the difference in the winter is great and sound proof too.i used self tapping screws to the frame off the door and dispite the extra wieght the door works fine and has been up for five years.good luck.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact