By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Per Ulv

Here is a list of all the postings Per Ulv has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: truck and excavator
05/04/2011 18:10:28
Robert,

That is a great job !
Must have taken a while to do

Per
Thread: lathe question.
05/04/2011 18:05:44
I would absolutely like to have one of those if I could ! The ones I have seen are cast iron all the way and are running very smoothly. There might be other varieties which I haven't seen though.

Regards,
Per
Thread: Oak log
05/04/2011 18:01:49
Dennis,

Thank you for your suggestions, will try the PVA glue trick !

I appologize for my late reply, but have been away for a while.

Regards,
Per
24/03/2011 23:57:04
Hi,

I have been fortunate enough to get hold of an oak log, 600mm in dia and 3m long.

I am not sure what the best way to treat it would be, but I intend to have it sawn into boards of 70mm thicknes and then to store them protected from rain but still outdoor.

Any other suggestions or comments ?

Regards,
Per
Thread: Question for an electrician
20/02/2011 18:48:03
Well, you will certainly find single phase speed controllers available, but in that case you have to check with the vendor to make sure the controller and the motor fits. For 3-phase motors it is a lot simpler since they do not come in all the funny variations that single phase motors come in. Especially motors "embedded" in the machines as you would typically find in a bench grinder tend to have strange combinations of capacitors and auxillary windings which make it all a bit more complex.

If you chose to try a solution with a variable speed drive for single phase, you should pay special attention to ensure you can maintain sufficient torque at low speeds, otherwise your grinder will not be of much use.
20/02/2011 17:34:25
Not sure about the brands you are referring to, but if you go for a regular 3-phase squirrel cage motor it is straight forward. Variable speed drives for such motors are commonly used in industrial applications and you can find some of them quite cheap. However, a 3-phase motor grinder would in most cases be an industrial type rather than a cheap hobby machine. You should be able to find a used one on eBay though..
Thread: Garden Table - what wood do I use?
18/02/2011 08:33:15
Hi,

Have you considered larch...?
I believe that is also an option in the sense that it would be suitable for outdorr furniture, not sure about the availability in the UK though.

Per
Thread: Elm Jewellery Box
11/02/2011 19:02:14
Fantastic work, thanks for sharing and for inspiring all us amateurs Ian ! I assume I am not the only amateur at this forum
Thread: Mafell P1CC
27/01/2011 16:36:31
Hi,

Has any of you gentlemen (or ladies of course) opened your wallet and bought a Mafell P1CC jig saw ??

The YouTube demo is very convincing, but it's a bit expencive to say the least, so I was just curious if anyone have any experiences to share.. I am very tempted, just have to get the investment approved by my Chancellor of the Exchequer...which may prove to be a challenge....

Regards,
Per
Thread: Magazine subscription
27/01/2011 16:25:55
Interesting discussion gents

I have been working a bit in the UK, and I believe the reson why I tought the magazines would use imperial measures in the first place was that my UK colleagues tended to use imperial measures for all informal discussions. To some extend I managed to follow the discussions as long as it was length measures, but when it switched to measures of mass I was completely lost ! So and so many stone and all the sub divisions which doesn't divide in 10's .... so confusing !!

I suppose the reason why centimetres are not used a lot in the industry, is that all measures without declared unit are milimetres, and also that milimetre is the SI unit for lenght measurement.

Regards,
Per
Thread: Display plinths
27/01/2011 16:04:49
Hi,

If you have some cut-offs left you may try the procedure you describe on those first, to be sure it gives you what you're after. Every now and then I envisage a certain look for the finished product, but when I try my planned "finishing procedure" first it quite often proves slight improvements may be required to achieve what I was looking for.

Good luck !

Per

24/01/2011 18:55:20
Hi,

Sometimes being mistaken is a plesant surprise !

I discovered the online magazines available to subscribers, and found that "The Woodworker" comes with plans and so on in metric units

Regards,
Per
24/01/2011 17:48:52
Thanks for your time gents !

Profile updated.
I am Norwegian, and tend to prefere UK magazines over American ones, but I guess also in the UK publications it is still imperial measures that is used.

Decided to try "The Woodworker", so I am eagerly waiting for the first issue to show up in my mailbox

Regards,
Per
Thread: My first clock
23/01/2011 17:39:23
That looks great !
Which types of wood have you used ?

Per
23/01/2011 17:08:22
Hi,

I am planning to make a subscription for either The Woodworker, or some other similar magazine.

So, two questions to all you woodworkers out there;

1 Which magazine is your favorite and why ?

2 I would prefere plans and sizes in metric units, but it seems most of the magazines are only dealing with imperial units. Have anybody found a good converter or a way to avoid all the impractical sizes you end up with if you just convert 1 inch to 25,4 mm ?
I see it highly cumbersome to start working in inches and fractals...

Any input is appreciated

Regards,
Per
Thread: dust
21/01/2011 07:55:58
By increasing to 6" pipes you will decrease the velocity of the air/dust mixture, hence increase the risk of dust and chips to set of in the pipework.
I would have sealed all the joints with duct tape, and if need be tried to temporarily seal of the connections closest to the extractor if they are not in use. With an extractor of the size you have there should not be any problems with 16m pipe.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tool Post
Tormek
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact