By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for jack dusty

Here is a list of all the postings jack dusty has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Myford Mystro
16/02/2011 11:31:56
Hi Steve,

Pleased to hear you have the Mystro, you will enjoy it, I also support Derek and Simon's advice regarding Keith Rowley's "Woodturning a foundation course". I bought mine from him way back when he was demonstrating ( using a Mystro ) at the NEC.

I dont know whether Keith is still around or not, lovely bloke and a really great turner, sound advice and down to earth.

regards to all

Peter.

09/02/2011 18:08:21
Hello again Steve,

I should also add, the Mystro does also have a super swivel headstock.

regards Peter.
09/02/2011 17:52:41
Hi Steve, and all,

I have the Myford Mystro Vs model, bought this in 1994 apx, great lathe, the inverter packed up five or six years ago, Myford were not interested then,( going through difficulties due re-organisation then I believe) and I subsequently had the inverter replaced by Grantham Electricals. (very helpful).

Aftermarket speed conversions are advertised in the woodworking mag's.

Apart from my inverter fault, I would heartily recommend the Mystro, it is a superb, well made and very solid lathe, go for it Steve and good luck.

kind regards

Peter.
Thread: A new Dawning
01/01/2011 11:10:55

I  add my good wishes and support the same sincere sentiments expressed above to everyone, worldwide. 

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Peter. 
Thread: Hardwood supplies
23/12/2010 15:57:53
 Hi John, 

Finney' s (?) Sheffield worth a try, also is very helpful with any aspect of woodworking.

Kind Regards

Peter 
Thread: how to loose your fingers
14/12/2010 17:46:34

As a self taught and keen hobby woodworker,   I believe it is imperative to have the greatest respect for all woodworking activities and with machines in particular, be they fixed or hand held.
        I have yet to discover any of my woodworking tools that can detect the difference between wood and bone.
         A previous next door neighbour and friend of mine went into business building pine furniture,  he had made a sub fence for his very posh spindle moulder from a pine off cut.
         Whilst putting a substantial moulding on a large section of timber and using the sub fence, he said " there was a bang, I stopped pushing the timber through, looked down, and checked that all of my fingers were there (machine still running!!), I carried on, ???,  and felt a flick, there was blood every where".
          He is left with a thumb on his right hand, all fingers on that hand were taken off below the knuckle. 
          The pine fence had cracked/split and was dragged into the cutter block, with his fingers.
           A complete lack of common sense,and respect, I would use mdf/ply in preference for a sub fence, and I would have switched off the machine to check what had caused the bang.
Thread: Making a high angle smoothing plane.
12/12/2010 11:08:50
Hello Baz,

Your plane is superbly crafted and your choice of timber Padauk is ideal too. 
It is my intention in the near future to do the same, need to finish re-modelling our ensuite
first though.
       There seems to be something very special about using wooden planes, most of my
very self taught woodwork is done by the usual hobby machinery, but I like to put a finishing touch where possible,  using my late Grandfathers old planes.

Daft as it sounds I also then  " look up" and say, it's still working Granddad !

regards

Peter 
Thread: laburnum logs any use?
12/12/2010 10:48:36
Hi Dennis,

Many thanks for your kind welcome to the site, I likewise would be tempted to make the same journey.

It would be nice of who ever is lucky enough to use the laburnum, to consider
turning a suitable memento of his tree for Alex, it really is a lovely timber for turning.

regards

Peter 
Thread: Formica or similar
11/12/2010 13:36:11

Hi Dominic

If I understand your intended router mounting method correctly, IE, attaching the router to a non- removable ( permanently glued) tufnal base, you need give serious consideration to accessability,  for both the subsequent removal and re-installation of the router, should you need to use it free hand, and to the ease of changing cutters etc

I would be tempted to choose the insert option to be a more practical solution for the reasons above,  goodluck with which ever way you decide on

One of the enjoyable things I find about being a self taught woodworker (hobbyist ?) is
being able to bounce ideas off like minded people and the many different ways we have of approaching the same problem, its all about innovation ? 

Peter
11/12/2010 12:19:00

Hi Paul,

It may be worth your while contacting any kitchen fitters/installers in your area in case they have a suitable worktop offcut available, or local timber outlets who may have offcuts at very reasonable prices.

I recently sourced a formica kitchen worktop offcut for the same pupose from a  timber outlet (not in your area) 24" x 36" x 30mm,  for only £4- 00. !

Peter
Thread: laburnum logs any use?
10/12/2010 20:46:01
Hi Alex,  I am new to the forum but sincerely agree with Alan T, any local woodturner would would love to get his/her hands on your Laburnum, it turns so superbly, and sought after.  I am not familiar with your area but there will certainly be a woodturning club in your neck of the woods.

regards,  Peter. 
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
D&M Tools
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact