By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David J

Here is a list of all the postings David J has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Price of Bench Grinders
29/04/2008 10:48:00

Ah!  Many thanks to you both Al and Baz.

This is defintley one product on my wanted list...  I will save the extra for the 10" version too.  Sounds like I will only buy one of these anyway so it looks like money well spent to get the bigger one.

Thread: The best woodwork I have ever seen
29/04/2008 10:41:00
Does anyone have a pic of that bike that was at the Ally Pally international show this year?  I am sure it was near the guy with the old traditional lathe...
Thread: Planes...
29/04/2008 10:31:00

Well thanks for all the comments and information so far.

I will indeed have a little browse on ebay and see what I can find.

Bob,

I read that article and it certainly makes for interesting reading.  I think sometimes it is easy to get bogged down with all the latest offers and newest kit available.  Sometimes its good to stand back and think how much will I use a piece of kit. 

One day I would really love to make my living as a furniture / cabinet maker but right now I am just a very keen hobbiest really.

28/04/2008 17:47:00
On the Tormek you get a choice of a cheaper 8" wheel version or a more expensive 10" wheel.  Maybe a silly question but whats the difference?
28/04/2008 14:16:00

I just finished my Good Woodworking magazine at the weekend and was fascinated to read about how much work and effort goes into making hand planes!  The tolerances are incredible.

It does go a long way to explain the price of some of the planes on the market.  Does anyone here have any opinnions over buying cheap compared to the the Lie Nielson and Veritas's of this world?

I've always thought along the lines of buy the best you can but £100 for a smoothing plane is a lot of money to me.  Would I do just as well with a £40 Anant plane from Rutlands?  In an ideal world I would always buy the best but sometimes I wonder if I could do just as well with a cheaper option...

I'm looking for a block plane and and a #5 Jack Plane.  I do not have a planer/jointer machine and from what I know a #5 would be a good plane to be able to smooth out edges of jointed boards, am I right?

P.S.

Loving this forum, everyone seems so friendly and willing to help!

28/04/2008 11:31:00

Wasn't there a similar bike at Ally Pally this year?

Those are incredible works of art though!  Plenty of man hours went into them I bet!!!!

Thread: Imagine you could only have one...
23/04/2008 12:04:00

A mate of mine asked me a question the other night which went something like this:

"If you could only have one workshop power tool in your shop, what would it be and why?"

I was stumped between Table Saw or Band Saw...

What would it be for you guys?

Thread: Setting up shop ~ part 1
23/04/2008 09:47:00

Roger,

I am off down to Southampton tomorrow so may well send the missus off shopping and swing past...  Thanks for the helpful prod in the right direction, much appreciated!

Dave

Thread: Chisels V. Health & Safety
22/04/2008 17:52:00

Gosh, I've never heard that one before.

Thread: Setting up shop ~ part 1
22/04/2008 16:16:00

WOW!!!

I was really into woodworking when I did my A Levels at school but then my motorbike racing got in the way and swallowed all my time and funds.  I am now currently in I.T. trying to get back into woodwork.  I've not made much really some bookcases, couple of outdoor chairs and Kitchen accessories.

Things are looking up now though as i have managed to score a job working for only three days a week!  On top of this my fiance and I are currently doing some refurbishment work on a house in Southampton for the other four days of the week.  Got a garage space to use now so I'm currently on the hunt for some reasonable priced tools to kit it out with.

I currently have projects coming out of my ears, just need to find a good timber yard in the area!

Maybe I can convince the other half I need a shed in the garden as a finishing room...

Thread: Green Wood
29/04/2008 14:34:00

Mike,

Going back down to Southampton on Thursday so will play at being a detective then...

Fingers crossed I still have some leaves!!!!

29/04/2008 11:10:00

Thanks a lot mike!

I tried using the search part on this forum but with no success at all, hence I ended up posting the above.  Sorry for any duplication.  I'll try browsing back to find the relevant information...

Cheers,

Dave

29/04/2008 10:48:00

Ah!  Many thanks to you both Al and Baz.

This is defintley one product on my wanted list...  I will save the extra for the 10" version too.  Sounds like I will only buy one of these anyway so it looks like money well spent to get the bigger one.

29/04/2008 10:41:00
Does anyone have a pic of that bike that was at the Ally Pally international show this year?  I am sure it was near the guy with the old traditional lathe...
Thread: Green Wood
29/04/2008 10:39:00

Hi guys,

last weekend I had to cut down two trees in our place in southampton.  One was an apple tree and the other I am still uncertain of.  The diameter across the 'logs' is anything from 60 - 300mm.

I was just wondering the best way to let the wood dry so I can maybe use it later on.  The smaller stuff has a very nice looking cross grain pattern looking like a maple leaf, so I was thinking maye I could make some coasters out of them.  The bigger stuff is very plain but I thought maybe I could still use it at somepoint.

I don't do any woodturning (misses hasn't let me buy a lathe yet...).  Whats the best way let the wood dry and settle?  in a green house, un heated workshop?  Don't want the wood to dry to quickly and be full of splits and cracks...

29/04/2008 10:31:00

Well thanks for all the comments and information so far.

I will indeed have a little browse on ebay and see what I can find.

Bob,

I read that article and it certainly makes for interesting reading.  I think sometimes it is easy to get bogged down with all the latest offers and newest kit available.  Sometimes its good to stand back and think how much will I use a piece of kit. 

One day I would really love to make my living as a furniture / cabinet maker but right now I am just a very keen hobbiest really.

28/04/2008 17:47:00
On the Tormek you get a choice of a cheaper 8" wheel version or a more expensive 10" wheel.  Maybe a silly question but whats the difference?
28/04/2008 14:16:00

I just finished my Good Woodworking magazine at the weekend and was fascinated to read about how much work and effort goes into making hand planes!  The tolerances are incredible.

It does go a long way to explain the price of some of the planes on the market.  Does anyone here have any opinnions over buying cheap compared to the the Lie Nielson and Veritas's of this world?

I've always thought along the lines of buy the best you can but £100 for a smoothing plane is a lot of money to me.  Would I do just as well with a £40 Anant plane from Rutlands?  In an ideal world I would always buy the best but sometimes I wonder if I could do just as well with a cheaper option...

I'm looking for a block plane and and a #5 Jack Plane.  I do not have a planer/jointer machine and from what I know a #5 would be a good plane to be able to smooth out edges of jointed boards, am I right?

P.S.

Loving this forum, everyone seems so friendly and willing to help!

28/04/2008 11:31:00

Wasn't there a similar bike at Ally Pally this year?

Those are incredible works of art though!  Plenty of man hours went into them I bet!!!!

Thread: Sleigh Bed
23/04/2008 14:47:00

I think I might have to do that.  Still like you say at least I can make it as I want.

I guess it is just a bit daunting for me as it is my first serious big project for some time.

Think I'll have a browse online and through some books and see what I like, maybe get some inspiration.  Maybe I could even put that free copy of Sketch-up to use!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact