By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dave Long

Here is a list of all the postings Dave Long has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Pocket Hole Jigs
17/01/2015 22:07:12

I have both the UKJ kit and an older axminster kit (optimised I think for 18mm) and use them where ever possible. I made some rabbit runs for the family last year that hinged to fold flat and used the axminster jig and UKJ pocket hole screws. My daughter's run recently broke at two joints, and on inspection is was where I had been short of 4 screws and used same length pan head screws and washers. Moral is, even if they look the same, only use proper pocket hole screws. I agree with spanner, a mains drill is so much better but cordless works if needed (but slower - you need the speed).

I've used them in MDF (garage shelving), English oak (built in wardrobe frames) and laminated chipboard (bedroom drawer unit). I've also used them alongside dowel joints or biscuits to avoidclamps.

Dave

Thread: rare-earth magnets
13/06/2010 20:46:47
I have wondered how such orders get through the postal systems without damaging or sticking to anything!
Thread: how to shrink pics
19/04/2008 12:00:00
just noticed that microsoft have added a caveat to the powertoys page that they don't run in vista
19/04/2008 11:55:00

if you've got XP  (I think it works with vista as well) use the microsoft powertoys - a useful set of tools that includes an image shrinker. Once you have installed it it appears on the mouse menu for any image - typically gets a file down to 5% of original size.

there are other useful tools there as well (ignore the statement that it is only for US verison of XP)

heres the link - scroll down to image resizer

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx 

19/04/2008 12:00:00
just noticed that microsoft have added a caveat to the powertoys page that they don't run in vista
19/04/2008 11:55:00

if you've got XP  (I think it works with vista as well) use the microsoft powertoys - a useful set of tools that includes an image shrinker. Once you have installed it it appears on the mouse menu for any image - typically gets a file down to 5% of original size.

there are other useful tools there as well (ignore the statement that it is only for US verison of XP)

heres the link - scroll down to image resizer

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx 

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Chippendale
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tormek
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact