By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for gerald meager

Here is a list of all the postings gerald meager has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Garden chairs
23/08/2016 19:37:28

I Goodwoodworking issue 299 on page 66 there a picture of some chairs Andy King made I was wondering if he ever did a project article on how he made them or whether there are any plans for them An information would be much appreciated. Yours in hope Ged Meager

Thread: Metalica
11/07/2016 16:01:50

Hi derek I've never tried this colouring technique I know Nick Agars into it. Maybe you'd like to write a Forum note on how to do it I would be interested My late wife would have had my guts though she firmly believed that wood had its own beauty with the assistance of paint.

09/07/2016 22:53:04

Looks good Also looks like your experiment is complete

Thread: Cellulose sanding sealer
09/07/2016 22:47:20

I think you will probably OK if you use spirit sander sealer

Thread: Good Woodworking wants your help!
09/07/2016 09:10:53

Hi Mike I agree with a lot of what you say I have every issue of Woodsmith Mag and I have all the back issues of Shop Notes on disc Fine Woodworking aswell. Woodsmith and shop notes are both aimed ant the garden shed woodworkers like many of us. Have you bought any of the Wood SmithDVDs they are now up to series 9 and are excellent value for money. A word ofcaution if you do purchase any, they can take an age to arrive.YOurs Ged Meager

Thread: Wanted
08/07/2016 03:16:30

Can anybody tell me where I can buy some brass pot pourri lids I've combed the net without success

Thread: Good Woodworking wants your help!
08/07/2016 03:13:46

I've been a fan and subscriber for many years. What I've always liked is the fact that Good Woodworking has something for everybody whether amature professional Chippy cabinet maker Woodturner etc Iam aturner personally. What I would like to see in the woodturning articles in particular are pictures of the piece of wood the turner starts out with particularly if its some sort of nobly holey hollow form.Quite often I've looked at a finished piece and wondered what did that piece of wood look like before he started

Thread: Two up two down
08/07/2016 03:03:59

Good looking bowel I bet you only hit your knuckles once!!!!!

Thread: what am I doing wrong
08/07/2016 02:55:03

Why do I get fine lineswhen I'm using friction polish.

Iusuallysand down to between 320/400/even600 grit when finishing commissions and spindle work.Quite often after a few coats of friction polish I notice I've built up a number of polish ring lines around my work instead of a dead  smooth finish It drives me crazy how can I stop this from happening . Any tips would be much appreciated

Edited By gerald meager on 08/07/2016 02:57:24

Thread: Blue rimmed bowl
18/11/2015 17:50:45

How did you get the mottled effect which is rather stunning I think

Thread: Workbench
17/11/2015 23:24:52

HiClive i was told at school many years ago40+ that I would never make a wood worker as long as my rear pointed downward I now sell my wood turnings make furniture to comisión had work publishe in a magaine You can get a goot set of plans for a good solid bench that you can biuld in a weekend from shop bought lumber from shopsmith .com any problms message me and i´ll seewhat I can do this benc all bolts together no difficult joints at all

Thread: craft fairs
17/11/2015 23:12:49

I did my first ever british craft fair this weekend and took just under 50 quid for just under 4 hours selling. It seems that most people only come out with about 5-10 pounds to these small vilage craft events What i was suprised about was the amount of stall holders who bought their stocks in and didn´t actually make much at all I think such people should be excluded otherwise these events just become markets or carboots.would like to have sold more but who can second guese the general public

Thread: Bandsaw Motor
12/11/2015 10:05:30

As I've been a keen woodturner for many years. Back in2003 I treated myself to a very large Startrite 351E bandsaw Which has given me many years good service without problems However a few weeks ago it started to play up and wouldn't start after asking around several fellow woodworkers most thought it likely to be the capacitor so I contact the company who now sell Startrite spares and talked to their engineer who after giving him all the signs and symtoms of the problem advised me to find a Motor rewinding company Which I did in Yeovil Somerset they took the motor and all its componants to pieces and informed me that I needed a new capacitor the motor needed rewinding and I needed a new circuit board this little lot was going to cost me best part of 400 notes or a new bandsaw which would probably be 2.5K as I'm a disabled pensioner I did a bit of shopping around on line and found a company out in the sticks who sold me a better motor with up to date switching gear THEY CHECKED all the motor details to ensure it was the correct power etc and checked the Flange to make sure the new motor fitted without a hitch Which it did and all for just 100 quid +vat I now have a sweet running bandsaw. What a saving and a most customer friendly people I've dealt with thoughout this saga I have no connection to the new motor supplier but would be more than happy to give his details to anybody with a similar problem. He sells on line and is very carefull to make sure you get the right replacement. I hope this helps

. someone else out good word of mouth is worth a fortune.

Thread: woodloc coloured gel stain
07/11/2015 14:22:51

In The latest issue of Good woodworking one of the projects a turned bowel uses a blue coloured gel wood stain called woodloc gel stain

Can some one lease tell me where i can obtain this from please yours ged meager

Thread: Goblet Competition Piece
20/10/2015 17:17:58

Great use of the grain pattern in the bowel

Thread: Finally back on the lathe
31/08/2015 23:24:24

Good luck Gerry I had a major stroke 10 years ago and I'm sure all my woodturning has helped me get more use out of my left hand which was totally paralised unfortunately the stroked severely effected my design skills as so much o my brain was damaged Not that there was a lot of it to start with just keep on turning and be patient it does get better but it does take time good luck. Ged Meager

Thread: Yandles Autumn Show 2012
30/08/2015 09:02:28

I will be on car parking duty Friday and Saturday hope the weathers kind to us all

Thread: Rescued Hollow Form
30/08/2015 09:00:12

Looks great to me wish I could recover some of my work with such skill a fine piece to be proud of

Thread: Pricng articles for craft fairs
22/08/2015 05:03:13

Does any body use the PayPal portable card reader to allow people to pay for their goods at craft fairs

20/08/2015 09:25:58

I recently returned to the uk to live after 10 years of living in Spain. To try and get my hobby to pay for itself I 've decided to enter a craft fair in November as a woodturner. In Spain it was mostly the brits who bought turned stuff as the Spaniards think all woods for burning. Normally I sell my stuff privately to friends and relatives I'm always happy if I've covered the costs of materials etc I know the professionals will moan at this but I want to keep my turning and cabinet making a hobby and not have the pressure of business profit and loss etcI do have a number of Galleries around where I live and find their charges quite excessive. Any help on pricing for craft fairs wuld be gratefully received. Ged Meager

Edited By gerald meager on 20/08/2015 09:28:18

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Tormek
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tool Post
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact