By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ralph Harvey

Here is a list of all the postings Ralph Harvey has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Spalted Beech Bowl
18/02/2010 22:22:28
Marc

His name is Paul Hullbert (sorry if i mis-spelt it, it takes too long to flip from one bit to the other to try and remember it ) But yes i am still taking the meds ?

Ralph
Thread: Why you should never let your Wife in your shed
18/02/2010 22:17:50
Sam

Cracking job must be the tuition ! Get her one of her own and enlist her on to the site,

Ralph
Thread: Codeye's tulip lamp
18/02/2010 22:15:02
Andrew

Nice idea and good use of Parana Pine, dont see that much now.

Ralph
Thread: Spalted Beech Bowl
17/02/2010 23:17:40
Like the Bowl Paul,

Doing well for your third project, nice rounded shape, look forward to seeing more of your work,

Ralph

Edited By Ralph Harvey on 17/02/2010 23:18:40

Thread: Get Woodworking Live! Who will be there....?
17/02/2010 23:11:03
Looking good

I will be there Friday and Sunday after all, so i will have a couple of days to look around,

Ralph
Thread: Mystery wood
14/02/2010 18:40:08
I think Al has got it right but dificult to tell, try turning it and then we will have a better view ?

Ralph
Thread: dumbing down?
11/02/2010 00:45:56
I agree with your comments Marc, about ideas doing the rounds and yes they do come back again and again, but this is often because they are good ideas,

There are no new ideas anymore, after all these years all we can do is interpret and bring our own version to something that has been done before. and there is nothing wrong with changing an idea to suit yourself or taking a small spark from it to inspire something "new" I do ! and i am sure most of the members to this site do too ! maybe that is something achievable rather than bringing projects to suit all the people all the time ?

That aside i havnt been able to get a copy of the mag yet, so i might change my mind when i finally do get a copy ?

Ralph
Thread: Slow Site Tonight?
08/02/2010 23:34:37
Looks like i picked a good time to nip in, it seems to be running quite well here.

Ralph
Thread: first attempt
08/02/2010 23:31:31
Dennis

You are doing well there, Like Derek says the open segments are a little more forgiving but it all comes with practice

Ralph
Thread: Is this Safe??????
08/02/2010 23:24:45
Steve

I have done some daft things  in my time and have the scars to prove it ! 

This is one i did do once ! it dose work but not advisable, althought the one main point i would say with your set up is the clamp ? you are going to pinch the blade as soon as you have cut through the wall of the box.

I would go with Baz's idea and work off the fence, but with no guarding watch where your hands are and use push sticks, that blade will apear quickly out of the back end of the cut !

It is far safer to cut by hand, or a bandsaw if you have acess to one.

Ralph
Thread: Getting Turning To the Competition
03/02/2010 22:27:35
I like many others will be sending work to the turning competition, and like many others do not relish making the trip to London and back twice.

Is anyone going anyware near Wiltshire on either of the first couple of days of the show ? if so can i ask you to take my work up to the show, it will all be securly packed,

I will be attending the last day so i can bring my work back, of course if i can do a similar service to anyone else living near enough, on the return journey i will be happy to help.

If possible there might be others who can do a similar service to help others ?

Ralph
Thread: Turning Comp-Who is entering?
03/02/2010 17:54:24
Clare

Thanks for the info, i will be entering 2 or 3 pieces depending on how they go, i am hoping to find a way of getting them there but if not where do we post them, ?

Ralph
Thread: Dennis`s wine stopper laburnum box
02/02/2010 23:34:52
Dennis

Very nice piece looks like a very nice piece of timber too, why too small ?

Ralph
Thread: Making a high angle smoothing plane.
02/02/2010 23:28:57
Baz

Great idea, what wood have you used for the main body, looks like Brazillian Tulip or Paduke ?

Ralph
Thread: Ollys Table
01/02/2010 19:35:49
Olly

Thats a grand job you have done there, Really like the leg design, i wasnt sure when i first saw it but it looks good now its done.

Ralph
Thread: Lamp table design ?
01/02/2010 19:31:06
Kevin

I made a lamp many years ago that was designed like "Cleopatras Needle" a steady taper is fairly straight forward but add an inlay to the design too

Ralph
Thread: Bob Chapman demo
01/02/2010 19:26:38
Baz

Like the wave piece would realy like to see him turning it, like Marc though on the square not keen on the bright paints, glad  to hear you enjoyed it though,

Ralph
Thread: Get Woodworking Live! Who will be there....?
26/01/2010 23:29:42
Marc

All we need is a big room little round windows and a very strong hose pipe, who needs a boat, we are only going to play with the lathes after all.

Hoping to sort out something about the turning will have to wait and see, but still looking forward to putting some faces to the names on the site. when i do get there.

Ralph
Thread: walnut jewelly box construction progress
26/01/2010 00:07:11
Drew

I think for a first piece you have done quite well so far, the corners fit together well and the groove seems a nice fit to the scraps you are using, as for the lid i would agree with Derek it would be better to make the box as a whole and cut off the lid section.

Considering you cut down all the timber by hand it all looks quite good, remember some of the members have been doing this for a long time, look forward to the next instalments

Ralph 
Thread: Put a handle on it
25/01/2010 23:51:58
Ron

Ash is a very common wood for handles as was Box years back, I have had problem with box in the past but it is usually due to the wood being too dry.

I have a lot of cheap Mahogany scraps and off cuts so a lot of my handles are made from that now, as for ferrels i find copper pipe or even chrome pipe like the worktop supports is good.

Dave Robberts did an article around ten years ago on tool handles, he turned a load in different woods and different shapes but i suspect it is too far back to find which issue it was in now, worth a look though.

Ralph
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Triton
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact