By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ralph Harvey

Here is a list of all the postings Ralph Harvey has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Sepele Bowl
18/08/2010 23:37:15
Thats a cracking bowl Baz

Its a very pleasing shape and the wider rim on the top works well. Looks like a good finish too.

Ralph
Thread: Bury St Edmunds Club Competition
17/08/2010 00:30:58
Some very nice pieces Ron

Glad to see a good turnout for your club, and a good theeme too, Jan Sanders was a great inspiration for adding colour to work well worth a look.

Ralph
Thread: Hollow(ish) bowl
14/08/2010 22:44:46
Derek

Very nice piece it has a very clean neat look to it, well turned and a good finish too.

I would have to agree to the smaller foot idea though, none the less a very nice piece

Ralph
Thread: ethans clock
14/08/2010 22:35:09
Both very nice ideas

I have built many clocks but never anything like these well turned both of you.

Ralph
Thread: Tool Share Schemes
10/08/2010 23:32:51
Sadly i would have to agree with all the above i just couldnt take take the risk that some of my tools could be put out of action through someone elses carelesness, accidental or not. (even more sad when my tools are sat gathering dust at the moment !)

I can also see that a scheme like this would be a great way to help less fortunate people who would like to develope an interest in the craft. shame there is no obveous way to start a scheme like this, as i know from experience that local timber merchants and joinery shops can cost a fortune to do the simple little things, in all fareness they do have to make a living from it.

Though there are non near me, as woodturners there is access to clubs and i know there are a couple of Marquetry and carving clubs too but why no general woodwork clubs ? members could get help and tips from other members who might find the time to do odd favours for less fortunate members ? just a thought ?

Ralph

Thread: is iroko safe for a bowl
19/07/2010 23:47:12
Thats a very usefull chart Marc, i think i will print it off and keep it.

As to the use of Iroka i have made fruit bowls out of it but always recomend washing the fruit before you eat it ! after all it is not a plate you eat from ?

It is a very nasty timber to turn even if you dont get any reaction from it imediatelly, use a well ventelated area and wear a mask, it is awfull on the lungs.... as Ron says it will take the edge off your tools quickly rough out what you can with an old tool and finish with a decent tool.

Ralph
Thread: Ron'slegs
13/07/2010 22:19:53
Ron

They realy are a lovely pair, they look well turned maybe you will get more of the same to do in the future

Ralph
Thread: Dennis's first Craft Fair
12/07/2010 23:44:58
Some great stuff Dennis

As to the selling of our work, the best place is to get involved with a gallery they not only know how to sell but also how to get the right price, they will take a cut, but its worth it if it gets a better price to start with.

I agree with Ron demonstrating brings in a crowd and you will  be supprised how often someone will buy the piece they have just seen turned, Fruit, Mushrooms, lightpulls anything quick and simple.

Stick at it, its great fun, and if you get confident enough you could even look into demonstrating at clubs and shows,  thats where i found the best profits back when i was turning 

Ralph
Thread: Alteration to my hollowing tool
11/07/2010 23:38:14
Baz

Thats a cracking hollow form and a great tool too, well done indeed

Ralph
Thread: fluting
04/07/2010 00:20:18
Sam

I made a clock a while back and used the same method as Dave Roberts, glue a series of small dowels (or in my case kebab skewers) around a larger dowel worked a treat.

Ralph
Thread: Padauk & Maple pen
08/06/2010 22:44:03
Baz

Thats great, i have seen some pre-prepared blanks that dont look as good but cost a small fortune !

As to the bleeding from the paduke, try purpleheart it will give just as much a dramatic look but the colour shouldnt bleed ? hopefully.

Ralph
Thread: Worshipful Company of Turners Competition
05/06/2010 19:25:30
I had beeen hoping to enter this one Dave,

Sadly an extended break from the shed has scuppered my chances of getting anything done in time, but good luck to anyone who dose enter let us see the entries please.

Ralph
Thread: Dennis Keeling, skeleton candle sticks
28/04/2010 23:12:57
Wonderful work.

I too have been enspired by your work for a long time and your ability to look at something and re-invent it !

I look forward to seeing more from you in the future,

Ralph
Thread: When to Change a Bandsaw Blade!
20/04/2010 00:03:34
Sorry to hear of your problem Olly

Looks like you were lucky not to be off to the hospital with that one ?

like Ron says Ouch !

Ralph
Thread: Ralph's Trinket Box
20/04/2010 00:01:10
Thanks Ron Glad you like them,

I still havnt seen it yet my maggazine hasn't arived, not a good postal service round here sometimes, hopefully tommorow now.

Ralph
Thread: swirls
18/04/2010 22:31:30
Mike

I like to start with 120 or even 150 grit but like Richard says a cabinet scraper is a good tool to use,

Failing that a good practice to get used to is to always sand in the direction of the grain at the end of each grit it dosnt need much of a rub down just enough to loose the fine (as you say) Swirls.

Ralph
Thread: Iceland
17/04/2010 23:26:28
Yes i agree Marc

Bloke in Asda yesterday was telling his staff we might get a food shortage because of the Planes being grounded ? have then never herd of boats or localy grown produce ? and then there was the postal service, the lady in front of me at the post office, they were not sure if a parcel she had would make it to South Africa ? they were happy to take the money though..

We prefer Cornwall anyway, much prefer to go there than anywere abroad, more for me to photograph, there and at the zoos on  the way there and back.

Ralph
17/04/2010 22:57:03
Marc

I bought a plank of Sycamore for the clock and a plank of Goncalo Alves which was cheap, so when there was a little Sycamore left i decided to use it for the face on the drawerrs, it worked quite well really.

Just got to Yandles yesterday and picked up a plank of Purple Heart at about half the price it should have been it was marked up wrong and another plank of Sycamore so the next project will be started soon, hopefully before i get away next month ?

Ralph
Thread: Iceland
17/04/2010 22:49:24
Good point Marc

I feel sorry for the people on holidays, a friend of my doughters is on holiday in Egypt, she cant get back and they are talking of extending the no fly possibly into weeks ?

I would love to go to Egypt but i dont think i would like to be stuck there ! fortunatelly i am only of to Cornwall next month so no airport problems for me.

Might be nice to send all the polititions over there then we wouldnt have to listen to all that guff they keep coming up with !!

Ralph
17/04/2010 22:42:00
Marc

Is it a picture of 2 different drawer units ? and is one of them this one ?

I prefer the other one, it was going to be going to the competition but it was not quite good enough. i havnt put any pictures of it on here yet.

Ralph

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Robert Sorby
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Wood Workers Workshop
Craft Supplies
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact