By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ralph Harvey

Here is a list of all the postings Ralph Harvey has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Just playing with shapes
23/01/2011 19:08:52
I think you all sell yourselves short !

From what i have seen there are a lot of tallented turners here, that just maybe lack the confidence ! stick at it and as has already been said look at each others work and look for ideas

Ralph
Thread: It's offical
01/01/2011 00:29:53
like wise to all of you

Ralph
Thread: competitions
06/12/2010 08:02:54
Ok Thanks for that Dennis

i will get  a copy of the woodworker, normally only get Good Woodworking will have to start getting both again, Been a bit up and down with health this year but hoping to get back out there just in time for the worst of the cold weather ?

Thanks the article was fun and as you can see not as complicated as it might initally look but thats the point really ? i hope.

Ralph
05/12/2010 23:26:48
Are they running the competition next year Dennis

I noticed in the recent issue of Good Wood that it was not listed in the Show page ? I hope it is, i am hoping to get back out in the shed in time for the competition ?

Ralph

Edited By Ralph Harvey on 05/12/2010 23:28:03

Thread: Cutting a deep, narrow slit in a long shaft
12/10/2010 23:34:42
Simon

Just a thought, cant you cut a wider groove about 6mm and a fill piece 5mm to fix the parchment in place, it will be easier to cut and easier to attatch the parchment, it might be a bit fiddly to get the parchment in a narrow slot.?

Ralph
Thread: A Famillier Name
12/10/2010 23:30:40
Congrats to you too Mailee look forward to seeing that one.

Thanks Baz getting over it now hopefully mind you i am a little rusty after such a long break,

Ralph
Thread: no more nails
11/10/2010 23:10:40
Thats a great price Dennis

I have been using no more nails for a  while and like you say it is a quick set glue, only i have been paying nearer £4 to £4.50 a pot.!

Only thing i would watch is iif it has been allowed to freeze ? it is then useless, dosnt sound like it though.

Ralph
Thread: A Famillier Name
11/10/2010 23:02:44
Thanks George

I have been about here and there, just a little under the wheather, and havnt managed to get anything done in the shed,

The article is the clock i turned for the Competition earlier in the year,

Ralph.
Thread: Pens made by me
01/10/2010 22:21:25
Very nice indeed

There are so many different types now, i remember when we only had 2 or 3 options pen pencil fountain pen ? well done.

Ralph
Thread: bending perspex ?
01/10/2010 22:15:59
Thanks Alan, Ron

Its nice to get back out there but i am certainly "rusty"

I have always liked the traditional mantle clocks, so i want to turn one glazed doors arched heads, just playing around with ideas but hopefully it will work
Ralph
29/09/2010 13:53:24
Thanks Baz

That would be great, the door frame internally would be approximatelly 6 x 4.5" and i would possibly need 2 pieces for front and back, PM me and i will cover the postage etc

Ralph
29/09/2010 13:36:48
Thanks for that Darren

I will just have to wait for it to come out and see then

Ralph
29/09/2010 12:35:29
Thanks Guys.

The idea will need a piece approximatelly 6" x 4.5" with a 3" Radius. so will print out the PDF Al posted and have a read.

I had considered heating a piece of perspex in the oven but the better half wasnt so keen ?

Ralph
28/09/2010 23:30:47
Finally got back in the shed the other day, and i seem to have developed 2 left hands ? going to need plenty of practice after such a long break,

Anyhow i have an idea i would like to work on but it will need to include a curved clear section, glass is out but i thought of perspex probably 1/8th or so thick,

Has anyone any idea how i can bend it without distorting it i need to see clearly through it like a window ?

Ralph
Thread: Being Lazy
28/09/2010 23:21:48
I think that is one of the advantages of turning, you get to work with your hands whilst using the machinery ?

But there is nothing as pleasing as finishing off a piece by hand whether it be sanding, sealing and polish or embelishing it in some way by carving etc. but as you say Derek it is only ever for yourself !

Ralph
Thread: Ultra Cigar
17/09/2010 18:50:09
very nice pen Derek

What do you think of the lathe ? i have the one without the variable speed, think it would be better with it.!

Ralph
Thread: jasons box
06/09/2010 23:09:52
Sam 

I have to agree the thought process that goes into this piece is amazing, a well deserved winner

Ralph
Thread: How do you like your gravy?
31/08/2010 23:03:05
George

Never ask my father in law for gravy, the last time he made it it was so thick you could stand the spoon up in it, and as for my son he makes it so thick we only gety two meals out of a jar of bisto ?

Ralph
Thread: turning wooden fruit
29/08/2010 00:47:01
Hi Dave

Can you remember who wrote it, ? this might make it easier to find.

Ralph
Thread: home grown material
19/08/2010 23:04:10
Apple is a great timber to use for tool handles, but it will need to be dry. i was always told to season a year for each inch in thickness, so rip it down to slightly over the size required and store, in reality it will depend on how and where it is stored, so check regularly.

As Sparky has shown it is also great to turn wet, unseasoned, one last thing, dont just keep the main trunk you can use the smaller branches too, appls, pears, mushrooms even some of the tool handles will come from smaller branches, they dont take as long to season and they dont split as much either

Good luck

Ralph
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Marriott & Co
Felder UK April 2016
Robert Sorby
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact