By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ralph Harvey

Here is a list of all the postings Ralph Harvey has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Ralph's entries
16/03/2011 12:46:07
Thanks Baz

I think the winning pieces were quite dificult pieces to turn and the judges got the decission right but i must admit i was a little disapointed that i didnt get anywhere this time.

Lets hope we get another chance next year ?

Ralph
Thread: eccentric chucks
16/03/2011 12:40:59
Ian

What is it you want to turn ? this will help give advice how to best achieve it. ?

Ralph
Thread: Bowl Advice
16/03/2011 12:37:16
Paul

1st its a very nice bowl for the third one turned,

What tools are you using, you say you are getting used to the bowl gouge, the main points to remember are, keep a good sharp edge, start the cut with the bevel rubbing and lift the handle untill a light cut is made lift it further to take a heavier cut, but light for the last cut also try to take the last cut in one from the outside edge towards the centre.

With all tools the position of your toolrest is important, keep it arouind 1/4 " from the timber and keep a firm grip on the tool dont let it bounce arround on the toolrest

Removal of waste timber can be done with a drawer cut from centre out but this you say you are having a problem with, what lathe are you using, my little Axminster is a short bed and i often find the toolrest gets in the way, just remove it ? put it back after, this will give you better access anyway.

What other tools do you use ? do you use a scraper, a decent sharp scraper, set at the right angle will remove timber without leaving any torn grain, just make sure you use it on a down angle play around on some scrap timber and find what works for you.

Dont be afraid to use abrasive to remove bad tool marks, everyone dose it, start with 80 or 120 grit, and work your way down to a finer grit like 320 or more if you like, the trick is to start with a smoother grit as you get better at it, with better tooling 180 grit could be a good starting point..

Ralph
Thread: And the winner is.......
15/03/2011 17:13:55
Clare

There is a set of photos in the thread "ally pally 2011" if it helps

Ralph

Edited By Ralph Harvey on 15/03/2011 17:15:52

13/03/2011 22:43:19
Thanks Julian

The trouble is these days there really isnt anything "New" that we can do, so all we can do is put our own twist on someone elses work, (no pun intended)

Sometimes it is liked, sometimes it is just a bit too much and unless you know who is judging it is impossible to guess what is the best thing to do,

Ralph
Thread: Mushrooms
13/03/2011 22:35:44
Paul

The wood is definately Yew, they look nice well turned mushrooms, if they were mine i might try mounting them on some bark or even a scrap of burr to display them.

Ralph
13/03/2011 22:18:16
Thanks Bill

All it takes is practice and trawling the web for ideas to play with, i find the american woodturning sites very enspiring when looking for ideas.

And as i have said before, i failed woodwork at school so if i can anyone can !

Derek

The main points were the wire didnt go down well and the goblet had too many different timbers in it, if using a contrast timber like the bead always go for black it suits anything unlike the purple heart i used.

Ralph
13/03/2011 19:58:39
Thanks

These were not the piece i was originally going to enter, i had a bad year last year and got nothing finished, these were only ready last weekend.

The clock i had been designing for the show will have to wait till next year now.

Ralph
Thread: Ally Pally 2011
13/03/2011 19:47:16
the winners were

Enthusiast top 3

1st

2nd

3rd

Prestige top 3

1st

2nd

3rd

Ralph

Edited By Ralph Harvey on 13/03/2011 19:49:23

13/03/2011 12:33:52
Thanks guys

The standard of work was very high accross both categories,

I was fortunate enough to speak to all the judges after to get some pointers as to what i could do different next time.

Ralph
Thread: Thread chasing practice.
12/03/2011 22:39:03
If thats the 1st practice Baz then i think you are a natural at this.!!!

Maybe next year its your turn to enter the competitions you are definatelly good enough.!

Ralph
Thread: Ally Pally 2011
12/03/2011 22:22:27
Yes congratulations Derek

A very nice piece indeed,

I have put some pictures of the winners in one of my albums, there really was a very high standard of work there.

Ralph
Thread: Spread the Blame
12/03/2011 20:10:32
Cogratulations Derek

It looks great i saw it at the show and a very deserved win. 3rd place !!! well done.

Ralph
Thread: Large apple
10/03/2011 18:53:31
Baz

What do you do to form that part ? there are so many ways to do it,
10/03/2011 15:23:32
my question exactly ? never come accross that one

Ralph
Thread: Get Woodworking Live 2011
08/03/2011 19:49:05
Dennis

On the entry form it says judging will take place on the morning of Saturday, and know last year it was done on the sunday early afternoon, because it was running late ?

Good luck with yours anyway

Ralph
08/03/2011 19:16:55
I have just noticed the competition entries have to be delivered to the show Friday afternoon,?, It would be so much better if we could deliver Saturday morning, then i wouldnt have to drive there and back both Friday and Saturday.

Last year at least we had a day to get over the long drive between start and end of the show,

Ralph
Thread: segmented vase
01/02/2011 10:59:21
Dennis

As it stands at the moment i dont have a piece finished ready for the show, ! i have a couple half done but not the time or energy to get out there and finish them ?

Ralph
30/01/2011 18:51:14
Well said Dennis

I am looking forward to seeing this piece, sounds like it will be good.

i agree with you, i think there are a lot more turners on this site who easily have the ability to produce high standard work that could and should be entered,

Best of luck to you and all entrants of the competitions

Ralph
Thread: Just playing with shapes
24/01/2011 19:41:58
Very nice Derek

Looks like a piece of lightly spalted Beech ? i think , nice shape and finish.

Ralph
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Robert Sorby
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Wood Workers Workshop
Craft Supplies
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact