By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Geoffrey

Here is a list of all the postings Geoffrey has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Western Red Cedar allergy
13/05/2013 16:43:06

Hi, sorry to hear you have experienced problems. Western Red Cedar is known to cause a variety of problems which can be acute meaning short term, or chronic meaning long term. If you have become allergic to WRC dust then it is unlikely this will change. The best option is avoid any exposure and that includes eyes as well as breathing. If you want to continue working with wood then respiratory protection and eye protection (suitable for dust) are essential and you should try to minimise any airborne use using extraction. When you finish work you should use a vacuum to clean down overalls etc and watch out for dust in your hair. Any small amount of dust once sensitised to it, can produce a reaction. If you have repeat episodes of allergic reaction it can become worse.

Hope this helps

Geoffrey

Thread: Ironmongery Direct
14/07/2012 09:07:24

I've used Ironmongery Direct for a few years. The service I have received has always been excellent. This week I ordered three items. I had a phone call to say one was not in stock should be still deliver the other two on Friday as requested so I said yes. I then had another phone call to say the third item had come into stock and there was still time to arrange posting also for Friday delivery, was that ok? All arrived on Friday and all exatly what I wanted

Thread: dust extraction
23/01/2012 13:21:14
and apologies for some of the stupid spullin in my last post!
23/01/2012 13:19:51
Hi everyone, sorry for the lack of any response since my last post., particularly to BillW.

If you were 'industrial' you would be subject to emmisions controls. Even as a private 'user' there is always the possiblility of a neighbour complaint to, or the local authority Environmental Health Dept spotting a problem, and they could intervene. Hence to comments about where does the pipe point etc.

If the extractor/collector is inside you should only be using a H designated system (vacuum cleaner type) or a bigger system that quotes a capture standard (preferably 0.5 micron). The H standards for - surprise HIGH standard of filtration and unfortunately many vacuum units sold for this very purpose can be L - guess what that is.

Cyclones are not the total answer as they are not all good at seperating from the air very small particles. They are excellent for larger chips. I am intending building a cyclone, possibly for a magazine article - very unlikely to be this magazine! and I will top it off with a HEPA filter. The advantage of doing it this way is the HEPA filter will be the last barrier and will take a long time to become clogged as almost all airborn bits will be cycloned out with the filter giving nice clean air back into the workroom. Cyclone design is, or can be, a very scientific process and I've had to try to read some pretty intense stuff to deside how I am going to do this. There are various plans available online and I have to say some are pretty useless.

Treat any wood dust as potentially harmful. MDF gets a lot os stick but how many know beech is rather bad? and many others. Spalted timber even more possibl hazards due to spores becoming airborn. This is useful http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/wis30.pdf

Mike Jordan mentions the beam of sunlight. This is an actual method used for investigating dust problems. Usually using a powerful sotlamp to get the same effect - it can be very enlightening in ever sense! Try using a powerful torch with most lights switched off iunless you hit the two days this year when we have sunlight

Have a good year and remember the next catchphrase - 'Thats Magic' - and how to make fingers disappear' with much sypmpathy and apologies to Paul Daniels and also wishing him a speedy recovery. I hope he does not mind being used as an example of someone with finger/hand manipulation abilities beyond almost anyone else, who still managed to get it wrong with a circular saw - a reminder to all how easy it can be.
Geoffrey

29/11/2011 02:04:48
Hi Bob

Eric is correct but you can also take the approach you thought of. In most industrial setups all the collectors would be outside as this takes any dust explosion and fire risk out of the building, also removing the dust recirculation problem. Many large scale collectors use cyclone technology for the dust and chip separation from the airflow.

You are correct that heat will be lost. There are no other real issues doing it this way other than ensuring adequate weather protection. You also need to think about neighbours and noise and where the pipe points! Covering someones garden/car/washing/plants with dust might not be helpful. The best option is the whole unit outside and still using the bag filter. If you make up a pipe then try to fit the bag filter on the outside end.

If you decide to purchase a dust collector/vacuum be very careful. I am currently researching this for a forthcoming article and many are actually not suitable for fine dust collection, especially if including hardwoods or MDF. You need one specifying a category M or H filtration level. many are category L which is not sufficient so you would have exactly the same problem as you have now (less of one but still releasing dust).

Hope this helps Geoffrey (ex HSE Inspector)

Thread: Axminster/Rycote Event
22/12/2009 14:13:41
Would be nice to know how you can register, whether it is a one day event repeated, or fully two days. It is at the sentral Oxford capus but can be driven to.

Geoff
Thread: pen making
16/04/2008 10:05:00
It did
15/04/2008 14:35:00

I just wrote a long and what I hope was helpful note on blank drilling. I make hundreds of pens. After entering the characters as I could see them (the ones for site security) it told me I got it wrong and start again. Sorry guys but life is too short - note to webmaster - how stupid is that!

Maybe some other time I'll be back, Geoffrey

16/04/2008 10:05:00
It did
15/04/2008 14:35:00

I just wrote a long and what I hope was helpful note on blank drilling. I make hundreds of pens. After entering the characters as I could see them (the ones for site security) it told me I got it wrong and start again. Sorry guys but life is too short - note to webmaster - how stupid is that!

Maybe some other time I'll be back, Geoffrey

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Triton
Chris Tribe Furniture
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact