By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Rod Roberts

Here is a list of all the postings Rod Roberts has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Melamine Faced Chipboard
09/11/2011 23:08:16

Hi Carl

I'm fairly new to serious woodwork so am a little shy of putting my head above the parapet. A method I've used in the past with some success is to clamp scrap off cuts of the same material either side of the workpiece and then use the circular saw through all three thicknesses.

Well it’s worked for me

Best of luck

Rod

Thread: Understanding softwood
07/10/2010 20:48:56

Thanks guys
I have taken your advice good quality ply and redwood you live and learn

Thanks again
Rod
06/10/2010 09:47:43

Hi Folks

Can I ask what might be a very basic question. I’m making a dog agility course for my partners dog club. Some years ago I was making a scale ( a 6ft board wall) and was struggling to cut a recess along one edge a 4ft long board the timber I was using was a 6inch gravel board the problem I was having was the edge of the recess being too frail and breaking away. A friend who is a cabinet maker said in a throwaway manner the wood was not good enough well the subject got changed and I managed. Now I’m building this agility course I’m wondering what grade of soft wood are available. The item which is making me scratch my head is the dog walk. The dog walk consists of an up and down ramp an a horizontal walkway 12” wide  all three element will be 12ft long the trestles supporting are 4ft 6” high the ramps and walkway will be finished in non slip rubberized paint. The heaviest dog will be about 120lbs worst case scenario.

Trestles no problem, Ramps and walkway What grade of softwood and what size? Will WBP Ply be adequate  for the walking surface.

Sorry if this is a bit of a ramble but there’s not much spare cash in the pot, so I need to get it right first time.

What I would like to achieve a strong reasonably light weight structure but safe and strong structure that can be assembled by one person.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Rod

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Tormek
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact