By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Roy Goodin

Here is a list of all the postings Roy Goodin has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Axminster AWSBS2 bench bandsaw review
08/12/2008 20:26:00

Hello,

Presently I have a bench bandsaw with a maximum depth cut of roughly 3" but would like a machine with a minimun depth cut of 4".  I have £200 to spend, and after trawling through dozens of bandsaw advertisements I have selected three.

The Axminster AWSBS2, the SIP 10, and the Record BS250 all of which are within my price band and have the capacity to cut up to 120mm maximum.

The machine would be used three times weekly in making vintage car models approx 10 to 18 inchs.   I would like the bandsaw to cut accuratelly through 4" [100mm] of assoted hardwoods, although my main wood is pedominately red pine.

I'd be well pleased if someone could point me in the right direction.

Cheers!!!

Roy Boy

Thread: Best bandsaw blades
09/05/2008 20:23:00

Hello everyone,

Having had a mega problems with bandsaw blades, I recently switched blades from  the machines original 1/4 inch blade to a new 3/8 inch blade from Draper Tools.

The difference was amazing, my machine is now totally transformed and cutting through 3" hardwood with effortless ease.

A good friend, with forty years woodworking experience,  recently told me that for general cutting he always uses a 3/8 inch blade, and for cutting down thick lengths of wood with the grain he uses a rip fence and 1/2 inch blade.

He uses the 1/4 inch blade for cutting in tight areas, but rarely uses this type of blade , preferring his tried and trusted 3/8 inch blade for general work.

So bowing to his experince, I followed his advice and it seems to be working fine.

Roy

Thread: Bandsaw advice please
25/04/2008 21:58:00

Hello everyone,

The trouble with my new Titan Bandsaw is resolved.   A set of new blades has turned the machine from an old-banger into a limousine.   It now cuts straight and true.  The original blade was a nightmare to use, but what I find difficult to understand is why some manafacters of bandsaws send out inferior blades with their goods.    What dose that achieve?  Disgrunted customers?

Cheers

Roy

12/04/2008 18:09:00

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the rapid response regarding my questions on the bandsaw.

Until some new blades arrive, I'm struggling on with the orginal 1/4" blade, which seems to have a mind of it's own, and is presently veering off at an angle of about 15 degrees.  I tried tensioning the blade, but, soon as a switch on the machine it either jumps off the wheels or snaps.   

Let's hope a new blade fixes the problem.

Cheers

Roy

11/04/2008 22:47:00

Hello everyone,

I've recently purchased a new Titan Bandsaw fitted with a 1/4" blade, which I believe is utterly useless for the machine.  The blade is 56" in length, and I urgently need to purchase another one.  So what blade do I need?   Would a 1/2" blade cut straighter? 

Being a newcomer to bandsaws, I was pleased to see the review in Get Woodworking agreed with my findings - I was beginning to think it was just me.

Cheers

Roy

Thread: Axminster AWSBS2 bench bandsaw review
08/12/2008 20:26:00

Hello,

Presently I have a bench bandsaw with a maximum depth cut of roughly 3" but would like a machine with a minimun depth cut of 4".  I have £200 to spend, and after trawling through dozens of bandsaw advertisements I have selected three.

The Axminster AWSBS2, the SIP 10, and the Record BS250 all of which are within my price band and have the capacity to cut up to 120mm maximum.

The machine would be used three times weekly in making vintage car models approx 10 to 18 inchs.   I would like the bandsaw to cut accuratelly through 4" [100mm] of assoted hardwoods, although my main wood is pedominately red pine.

I'd be well pleased if someone could point me in the right direction.

Cheers!!!

Roy Boy

Thread: Best bandsaw blades
09/05/2008 20:23:00

Hello everyone,

Having had a mega problems with bandsaw blades, I recently switched blades from  the machines original 1/4 inch blade to a new 3/8 inch blade from Draper Tools.

The difference was amazing, my machine is now totally transformed and cutting through 3" hardwood with effortless ease.

A good friend, with forty years woodworking experience,  recently told me that for general cutting he always uses a 3/8 inch blade, and for cutting down thick lengths of wood with the grain he uses a rip fence and 1/2 inch blade.

He uses the 1/4 inch blade for cutting in tight areas, but rarely uses this type of blade , preferring his tried and trusted 3/8 inch blade for general work.

So bowing to his experince, I followed his advice and it seems to be working fine.

Roy

Thread: Bandsaw advice please
25/04/2008 21:58:00

Hello everyone,

The trouble with my new Titan Bandsaw is resolved.   A set of new blades has turned the machine from an old-banger into a limousine.   It now cuts straight and true.  The original blade was a nightmare to use, but what I find difficult to understand is why some manafacters of bandsaws send out inferior blades with their goods.    What dose that achieve?  Disgrunted customers?

Cheers

Roy

12/04/2008 18:09:00

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the rapid response regarding my questions on the bandsaw.

Until some new blades arrive, I'm struggling on with the orginal 1/4" blade, which seems to have a mind of it's own, and is presently veering off at an angle of about 15 degrees.  I tried tensioning the blade, but, soon as a switch on the machine it either jumps off the wheels or snaps.   

Let's hope a new blade fixes the problem.

Cheers

Roy

11/04/2008 22:47:00

Hello everyone,

I've recently purchased a new Titan Bandsaw fitted with a 1/4" blade, which I believe is utterly useless for the machine.  The blade is 56" in length, and I urgently need to purchase another one.  So what blade do I need?   Would a 1/2" blade cut straighter? 

Being a newcomer to bandsaws, I was pleased to see the review in Get Woodworking agreed with my findings - I was beginning to think it was just me.

Cheers

Roy

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact