By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for paul johnson 2

Here is a list of all the postings paul johnson 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Rocking horse
24/03/2011 19:54:39
Now that's something to be really proud of im sure the recipient is well chuffed.

Paul.
Thread: sand paper
22/03/2011 20:50:59
thankyou for your reply's as always. sorry forgot to say it is for turning i have never heard of abranet before thats a new one on me, thats why i asked knowing you fellas wont point me in the right direction.

Paul.
21/03/2011 21:49:28
Hello its time I stocked on my sand paper can anyone recommend a good fairly priced supplier.

Thanks Paul.
Thread: turning club march competition
21/03/2011 20:47:49
Hi Dennis what wood was you using it looks a lot nicer than the first one.

Paul..
20/03/2011 10:37:09
Thats really nice Dennis I like the way it just seems to flow from the top to bottom and as said above i like how thin you have gone with it, I picked up some ash the other day freshly cut and it's hard to belive once dried it can produce lovely colours. PS good luck with the comp.

Paul
Thread: Goblets
19/03/2011 21:12:18
that's right bill and i fell off my bike a few times, every time i go on the lathe i feel myself getting better and quicker it gives me a good buzz.

Paul.
19/03/2011 16:30:43
thanks for the replys, I agree with derek and baz they look a bit bold will add them next time fingers crossed.

Paul
Thread: Ebonised & gilded Ash bowl
18/03/2011 22:06:43
The only comments i can give you is excelent i really like the second one the best, it always amazes every time i log on what you fellas a turning, its a hobbie you can never get bored of keep them coming.

Paul
Thread: Goblets
18/03/2011 21:06:20
I made these two goblets along with the bowl for the welders in work as a thankyou for all the favours they do for me. I started the one on the right last night it was supposed to be natural edge but had a catch that was the end of the natural edge you can see the catch on the left side rim but for some reason i didnt like it, So tonight back up the shed and attempt goblet No 2 the one on left of the picture this is the one i like the best, as i was parting off what happens catch you can see the chip on the right bottom rim but not to disappointed as it was a good learning curve.
Paul..

Thread: Bowl Advice
18/03/2011 16:38:24
Hi Simon I will be taking all onboard what you gents have been giving me, I got only 1 bowl gouge which 31/8 and i sharpen it on 6'' grinder with a white stone with a homemade jig i copied off you tube and sharpen it to a 30degree angle which seems to do the trick for me.

Thanks Paul.
Thread: Ebonised & gilded Ash bowl
18/03/2011 16:31:33
thats very good indeed baz i realy like the way the grain has shown up top notch.

Paul
Thread: Chuck
16/03/2011 19:01:26
I took bills advice and cleaned the chuck in WD40 it cleaned up a treat give it a good blow out with the air line and let it dry, I took Ron's advice and bought some PTFE spray which was deliverd today give it a good spray and it's brand new again thanks for the advice.

Paul.
16/03/2011 18:50:57
May i start by saying thankyou to all your comments, the gouge i was using was a 31/8 when i used it for the first time i was frightened of it but as time went on i was feeling more relaxed with it, the lathe i got is a cheap clarke 20'' between centres but it suited the budget at the time. I was using pull cuts from centre to rim i can see what Derek is saying push cut from rim to centre. Ralph i havent got a scraper as yet but its on the to buy list. I seemed to be doing a lot of what you guy's are saying i just need to fine tune things a bit i will put all your advice into practice. Dennis the wood i used was a light oak and i look forward to a tutorial on it im going to read Ralph's now.

Thanks Paul.  PS just read ralphs thread on bowl turning thanks Ralps.

Edited By paul johnson 2 on 16/03/2011 18:53:59

Thread: my first major disaster on segmented turning
16/03/2011 18:18:26
well done im glad it turned out ok in the end as others have said you cant see were it went wrong. great pics
15/03/2011 21:49:53
thanks Bill as i said its only the third bowl for me and im happy with the way it went its just the finish didnt turn out the way i would of liked. so yes im looking forward to all the advice i recive. PS im starting to get the feel of the bowl gouge now

Paul
15/03/2011 21:08:14
Took a weeks holiday to do some work in the garden, but due to the rain today work on stop gave me the time in the shed to turn a bowl for one of the lads in work with the blank I prepared last week. Its only the third bowl ive done and the biggest i can turn on my lathe 91/4'' dia, I turned the outside with good results reversed it to turn the inside I was faced with a few problems (1) I could not curve the inside towards the rim as the handle of my gouge was catching the bed of the lathe (2) as i was cutting towards the rim on the inside i could not good finish on the end grain i tried very fine cuts and sanding but i couldnt get it right. I hope you can make sense of what i am trying to say all your advice and tips would be most welcomed thanks.
Paul

14/03/2011 20:42:45
good news Dennis dont forget to show us the end results
Thread: big knife
14/03/2011 20:38:55
I like that a lot well impressed.
14/03/2011 16:59:35
Sorry to hear that Dennis I bet your gutted after 22hrs work lets hope youv'e salvaged it, Iook forward to the pic's

Paul
Thread: Mushrooms
14/03/2011 16:45:27
Thank's for your comments, I remember now the fella saying it was yew well spotted ralph I was thinking the same as you and mounting the on some bark.
T.allan jones the wood was well dried Im led to belive it is about 4yrs old I was suprised how light it was, the reason I coated them in teak oil was the bark was very dry so Im hoping the oil will seal the bark.

Thanks Paul.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
D&M Tools
Tormek
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact