By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Robbie

Here is a list of all the postings Robbie has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Kitchen build
08/10/2009 17:37:44
Nice job Al !

I like the shaker style as you can tell from my pics!
06/10/2009 21:52:54
Cheers guys I look forward to seeing your pictures
06/10/2009 20:48:04
Spooky
06/10/2009 20:25:46
Hi everyone,

Has anyone out there built their own kitchen before??

I'm seriously thinking of giving it a bash, I want to make one out of Ash, and was wondering what ideas people out there might have for the best material for the carcasses??

I was thinking of maple faced ply but can't seem to source it in 19mm thickness.

I wanted to try and steer clear of MDF if possible.

Any other ideas anyone?

Thanks

Thread: Magic gripper,(my version) 1974
13/10/2008 16:06:00

Hi Joe,

Don't worry we was just havin some friendly banter!!

The magic gripper that Derek has if I recall is a piece of 3 or 4x2 about a mtr long with about a 2 1/2" x 2" notch cut out of the middle, you can then lay a door on its edge and with the use of a wedge hold the door firmly in the notch. You can also use the timber version for a number of other tasks as David has already mentioned without the need to buy the expensive plastic versions.

Thread: Any ideas
12/10/2008 08:04:00

Hand saw and gouge chisel? if I had to cut a housing by hand in a door lining perhaps, the tools I would use would be a hand saw & chisel, why should this be approached any differently?

Rob

Thread: Magic gripper,(my version) 1974
11/10/2008 21:43:00
what happens if I have no material to hand to put in my magic grippers to support stuff? offcuts of worktop etc arn't always abundant and I don't want to carry them around!
10/10/2008 23:05:00

Can they raise you up 2 feet? Can they be used as a scaffold? Will they support an RSJ while you weld it? Can you sit on them and hav a cuppa? will they hold up a sheet of ply while you cut it???

08/10/2008 21:15:00
Well the saw horse does so much more than just hold doors too
Thread: CIMG3867 - Copy.JPG
11/05/2008 22:19:00

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your kind comments. The finish is 3 coats Danish oil & 1 coat of Briwax.  I had a job to remember how long it took to make, I wish i'd kept a log of the hours spent but they were long evenings ie 5hrs probably a night. 

PJ

The dovetails are on show on the side of the carcass you just can't see them in the picture. There is also a through tenon either side of the face frame at the top of the carcass I left just slightly long because I also like seeing some joints on certain pieces, and just to show I didn't cheat really and use biscuits / dowels!

Must admit to using a Leigh jig on the drawers though which saved time, although I cut the carcass dovetails completely by hand.

OPJ

I never really have to much problems with fitting doors I always struggle with the drawers though they can be a nightmare!! Bought the knobs for this piece as I didn't have a lathe at the time, I have since bought one tho. So might give it a bash next time.

Thank you all again for your kind comments.

Rob

Thread: Rutlands
04/05/2008 10:09:00

Just a website that a friend put me onto - check out the Titanium hammers at £180.00!

www.rutlands.co.uk

Thread: Sound proofing
03/05/2008 14:57:00
Thanks Mike / Baz.  
03/05/2008 13:50:00

Thanks Guys,

I was thinking along the lines of 100mm fibreglass between the studs and then 9 or 12mm ply over the top. Maybe peg board would be better than ply then as it has loads of holes?

Thread: 5.jpg
03/05/2008 07:53:00
Nice work Sam, what adhesive did you use in the end for your veneer?
Thread: Chisels V. Health & Safety
03/05/2008 07:50:00

Mike

It's like Paul said if you don't cover your ass your just likely to get sued!

Paul,

We got sued once when a guy walked off site for being questioned about the amount of work he had produced, apparently he claimed the foreman was being aggressive he was compensated £2500!

Seems like the law sometimes protects the stupid and the bone idle!

Rob

Thread: Sound proofing
03/05/2008 07:23:00

Hi all,

I would be interested to hear peoples views on how best to sound proof a timber framed workshop?

Rob

Thread: Finger joint jig
27/04/2008 15:51:00

That really is an excellent Jig Mike, where dovetails have stood the test of time ie 100s of years I wonder how these modern glues hold up in comparison?

Is that the legendary belt sander in picture 9?

Pete,

Polyurethane is good for oily woods such as Teak isn't it?

Rob

Thread: Workshop Floor
27/04/2008 09:59:00
Hey Mike hope you don't smoke!
Thread: The Safest Saw in the World
26/04/2008 17:54:00
That is impressively unsafe!
Thread: Chisels V. Health & Safety
26/04/2008 08:08:00
I was always told simply - Don't put your fingers where you wouldn't put your willie! It's worked for me so far!  - Touch wood.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact