By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for JE

Here is a list of all the postings JE has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Whats Best
17/07/2010 21:44:14
Hi, All.

Have used, for the first time, the Melamine and Woodwax 22 finish on a breakfast bar table made of Ash that I just finished for my daughter.

Great advice, thanks.

John
Thread: Bench Blocks
09/07/2010 20:50:49
For the first time today I used my "cookies", bought from Rutlands a while back, to use while sanding a 53" x 22" table top.

Absolutely brilliant, they do what it says on the box. No hesitation in recommending them.

John
Thread: Record Universal
18/11/2008 19:30:00

Thanks, Andy.

Glad to hear someone has good impressions of the machine.  I can't knock it's quality and although I still haven't really used it to it's full potential yet the use I have had from it so far has all been effortless.

Biggest problem yet, has been the Tersa knives.  Basically I bought the machine as a retirement present to myself, as an amateur with big ideas, and to use it on an awful lot of African teak that I have in store.  Trouble was the blades supplied didn't last, because of the teaks mineral content.  I've now been forced to buy TC blades at around £60 each and the stupid thing is that they are produced by Tersa but only sold in sets of two? when all the blocks seem to be, like mine, three bladed.

I haven't tried them yet but if they don't work I'm a lot of money down.

One thing I will say about Tersa though is that, with the standard knives, I have planed flat a 2" block of English oak about seven inches wide and four foot long and I don't think I have seen a better finish come out of a planer before. If I was using it to make a door or similar I wouldn't bother sanding, I can see no planer marks.

John 

Thread: SS850798.JPG
22/09/2008 19:26:00
I'll second that.
Thread: Carbide planer blades
22/09/2008 09:06:00

Thanks for your replies.

The teak bit has certainly answered one of my problems as this is what set me off on the search for better blades.  I've quite a stash of it from Africa, not the greatest quality but a beautiful wood and good enough to cut down and use for constructing planters, bird tables or whatever.  The original blades lost their edge fast and even the bandsaw was making heavy weather of it.

Looks like I'm going to have to invest if I want to go any further.

Thanks again.

John

Thread: ws14.jpg
21/09/2008 22:14:00

Derek. 

Nope, you're right. His name was Gibbs, or similar. He was a wonderful teacher. We built boats with him, GP14's and Cadets. Went sailing, without lifejackets, in the days when mummy's in their four wheel drive BMW's and "Little Princess on board" danglers in the back window didn't exist and life was fun.

But, he was one of the people that I have known, that had a lot to do with the shaping of my life and I remember him with affection. Silly things like, when walking with a chisel in your hand, you held it with your thumb over the back of the bezel, for safety reasons,which I still do.

21/09/2008 20:58:00

Derek.

ok. That's what a bit of intelligence will do. All these years I've been wasting space. Sometimes I wish I'd never opened my mouth.

I'm thinking of giving my old woodworking, (Biology/tech drawing) teacher a piece of my mind but can't seem to find him in the phone book, as yet.

21/09/2008 20:44:00

I've a Record universal with a Tersa block.

Looking for new knives I've come across an American web site that offered tungsten carbide blades at around £60 each, much the same as anything over here but the difference is they stated that the quality of finish would not be as good as HSS blades.

Has anyone any experience with this type of blade or know why the finish should be inferior.

Don't ask me what site was.

Thanks. John.

21/09/2008 20:33:00

Fifty odd years ago when still at school I was taught that planes should be stored lying on their sides. This was to allow them to be left with blades protruding.

Might have been a load of bull but it seemed a good idea to me and have always done that since.

10/09/2008 23:14:00

Too late, Johnf.   Went ahead and bought one about six weeks ago.  Been in the Atlantic for four of them and haven't really had chance to get my teeth into it yet.  I've tried everything though and it seems ok to me, so far, although I'm by no means an expert.

The Tersa block is good and gives a great finish, the saw and spindle moulder seem effortless and the morticer easy to set up and use.

The only thing I've done so far is make a mahogany window frame (just a light through from a bedroom to a dark hallway) and it cut the 45 degree joints accurately and square.

ANyway, too late to change now so I'll have to live with it, whatever its limits.

John.

Thread: Yandles Show
06/09/2008 19:22:00

Ralph.

Thanks for posting yesterday. I had no idea it was on until I read it.

Went today and really enjoyed it.  Sorted out a few problems I'm having with some of my machines from the trade stands and came away with the wallet a few pounds lighter with the "offers you can't refuse".

Even the wife enjoyed it, which must say something.

Thanks again.

John

29/03/2008 21:43:00

Derek.

I think I've just bought the machine, (on e-bay) you are talkng about.

Unfortunately it wasn't as described and only had the one motor instead of the three the later machines have, so, it's going back.

I'm pretty certain the latest machines on the Record web site are worth the money but would appreciate other users input before I finally committo buying one.

29/03/2008 19:33:00

Hi.

I'm on the verge of buying a Record C26/30 Plus universal machine.

Has anybody else on the forum got one of these and what are your thoughts on value for money, quality and precision of them.

Thanks

John.

18/11/2008 19:30:00

Thanks, Andy.

Glad to hear someone has good impressions of the machine.  I can't knock it's quality and although I still haven't really used it to it's full potential yet the use I have had from it so far has all been effortless.

Biggest problem yet, has been the Tersa knives.  Basically I bought the machine as a retirement present to myself, as an amateur with big ideas, and to use it on an awful lot of African teak that I have in store.  Trouble was the blades supplied didn't last, because of the teaks mineral content.  I've now been forced to buy TC blades at around £60 each and the stupid thing is that they are produced by Tersa but only sold in sets of two? when all the blocks seem to be, like mine, three bladed.

I haven't tried them yet but if they don't work I'm a lot of money down.

One thing I will say about Tersa though is that, with the standard knives, I have planed flat a 2" block of English oak about seven inches wide and four foot long and I don't think I have seen a better finish come out of a planer before. If I was using it to make a door or similar I wouldn't bother sanding, I can see no planer marks.

John 

Thread: SS850798.JPG
22/09/2008 19:26:00
I'll second that.
22/09/2008 09:06:00

Thanks for your replies.

The teak bit has certainly answered one of my problems as this is what set me off on the search for better blades.  I've quite a stash of it from Africa, not the greatest quality but a beautiful wood and good enough to cut down and use for constructing planters, bird tables or whatever.  The original blades lost their edge fast and even the bandsaw was making heavy weather of it.

Looks like I'm going to have to invest if I want to go any further.

Thanks again.

John

21/09/2008 22:14:00

Derek. 

Nope, you're right. His name was Gibbs, or similar. He was a wonderful teacher. We built boats with him, GP14's and Cadets. Went sailing, without lifejackets, in the days when mummy's in their four wheel drive BMW's and "Little Princess on board" danglers in the back window didn't exist and life was fun.

But, he was one of the people that I have known, that had a lot to do with the shaping of my life and I remember him with affection. Silly things like, when walking with a chisel in your hand, you held it with your thumb over the back of the bezel, for safety reasons,which I still do.

21/09/2008 20:58:00

Derek.

ok. That's what a bit of intelligence will do. All these years I've been wasting space. Sometimes I wish I'd never opened my mouth.

I'm thinking of giving my old woodworking, (Biology/tech drawing) teacher a piece of my mind but can't seem to find him in the phone book, as yet.

21/09/2008 20:44:00

I've a Record universal with a Tersa block.

Looking for new knives I've come across an American web site that offered tungsten carbide blades at around £60 each, much the same as anything over here but the difference is they stated that the quality of finish would not be as good as HSS blades.

Has anyone any experience with this type of blade or know why the finish should be inferior.

Don't ask me what site was.

Thanks. John.

21/09/2008 20:33:00

Fifty odd years ago when still at school I was taught that planes should be stored lying on their sides. This was to allow them to be left with blades protruding.

Might have been a load of bull but it seemed a good idea to me and have always done that since.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Tool Post
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact