By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Amos Starkadder

Here is a list of all the postings Amos Starkadder has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Dust extraction outlets
28/11/2013 10:40:56

Thanks Paul. Duct tape isn't a good option. Many of us have small garage workshops where space is at a premium, affixing anything permanently to my thicknesser would mean that I could no longer slide it off the workbench and onto the shelf behind (way too heavy to be lifting it) as this would add quite a lot to the overall width of the unit. A length of flexible tubing that can be quickly and easily clipped on and off machines is my preferred option, after all, most of the systems are designed that way - except for that final step.

All that's needed is a short length of pipe with a 100mm internal diameter.

27/11/2013 12:18:36

Plenty of good dust extraction systems around from the likes of Camvac and Axminster, all based around readily available 62mm tubing and all the fitments to go with that size like blasts gates and flexible tubing and bends, perfect for the hobbyists workshop.

No fitments for the dust extraction outlets on the bigger machines though (older Axminster thicknesser, Record bandsaw).

These machines have 100mm outlets and there's simply nothing to connect them to a 62mm system. I chased around the recent Harrogate show trying to get a solution from Record - they couldn't do it. The nearest I got was a nice nested set of connectors from Charnwood,but I still only achieved 100mm - the same external diameter as my Record bandsaw, no rigid sleeve to connect 100 to 100. Soil pipe doesn't work of course, it's slightly larger and has a slack fit.

The Camvac people (who make extractors) were sympathetic, they hear this sad tale lots of times.

You wouldn't buy a motor car without a steering wheel, so how come all the power machine manufacturers don't make appropriate dust extraction connectors?

Thread: Benchtop thicknessers
31/10/2013 16:30:53

I tried recently, for the first time, to change the blades of my Jet JWP Bench Top Thicknesser.
The hex bolts holding the blades down were extremely stiff and some have proved immovable, so far I've had an Allen key ping out and cause a facial injury and the remaining bolts are now stripped of their internal hexagonal structure. I've tried WD 40 to ease them, to no avail. One of the blades therefore cannot be removed and certainly neither could be replaced now, I appear to have destroyed my thicknesser.
I've had the thing about 8 years I suppose so maybe I've had my money's worth out of it - pity I never got to use the second good edge on those blades.

So I'm now in the market for a replacement. The review in Fine Woodworking #195 isn't much help as most of them aren't available in the UK. I'd like something a bit better but it seems that that appalling table height adjuster (it waggles loose) is standard. The triangular dust extraction port on the DeWalt D733 (is the port standard or do I have to find one somewhere?) is positioned at exactly the point where I'm accustomed to gently guiding stock off the outfeed table and the hood fixing method looks fiddlier than the Jet. Those segmented cutterheads (FW Toolguide 2013) look to be a good idea in view of my recent efforts, or maybe I should just change blades more often than 8 years.

Any thoughts on other "light trade" (ca £400) models?

Thread: Pre-milled sections
23/08/2010 12:01:07
I would rather like to make 2 door frames & doors plus a casement and sash window for my shed.

Pre-milled sections such as door frame sills and window sills etc. seem to have disappeared from my local timber suppliers over the past few years. Partly due to the import of pre-made frames I suppose.

Does anyone know of a supplier in the Midlands who still supply such things?
Thread: National Forest wood exhibition in Leicestershire
21/08/2010 07:26:01
Always a great day out, quite a different flavour from the big trade exhibitions. Lots of amateur and small traders/makers, timber suppliers, heavy machinery, sculptors, pole lathes and outdoor stuff. It deals with wood, timber and trees in a very broad sense. You are much more likely to walk away with quartersawn oak boards cut before your very eyes than with new power tools.
They don't seem to bother advertising in the magazines.
Try the the websites of the County Council or National Forest for details.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Transwave 2017
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact