By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dave Atkinson

Here is a list of all the postings Dave Atkinson has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: could have been worse!
03/08/2009 09:33:57
Wolfie  going through the side and teh bottom is one of my continual occupations!

Cheers Dave 

Thread: Dennis square edge work
03/08/2009 09:32:27
Another great piece Denis.  I have done a couple like this as well.  They are great fun.  I like to turn them from a log and leave the natural edge on.  Bit scary though when you get the speed up  - but keeps you cool in summer!

Cheers Dave 
Thread: finial trinket box
03/08/2009 09:30:16
Great piece of work Denis.  I've been wanting to try one of these for ages.  I have some shed time coming up so you inspired me to have a go

Cheers Dave 
Thread: Miniature bird houses
03/08/2009 09:28:33
Great Houses Mark - looking forwrd to the How to

Cheers Dave 
Thread: Natural Edge Goblets
03/08/2009 09:25:20
Thanks for your kind comment Mark
Cheers Dave 
02/08/2009 08:03:02
Thanks Baz

I look forward to seeing the pics.  Hope all is well with you.  

Cheers Dave 

Edited By Dave Atkinson on 02/08/2009 08:03:12

Thread: Dennis's Pot pourri bowl
31/07/2009 21:18:54
Nice piece of work Dennis and a great finish.

Marc, what problem do you have with turning oak?

Cheers Dave 
Thread: Natural Edge Goblets
31/07/2009 21:16:20
Thanks for your comments guys - my success rate with these is getting better only about 1 im 4 go in the bin!

Richard, bringing up the tail centre very gently until it just starts to spin greatly reduces the whip.

Thanks again guys - looking forward to seeing some pics.  

Cheers Dave 

31/07/2009 10:40:56
18. Here I’m using my skew chisel on the stem.  Note how I support the stem with my forefinger under the rest.  The skew is one of my favourite tools for this job and as long as it’s sharp it works well and behaves itself!

19. All done now – just got to undercut the base and part it off.  Get ready to catch it!

20. Here’s the base – needs a bit of sanding yet.

21. All done.  I finished the edge with a pyrograph tool to give it a bit of texture as the bark came off.  I created an ogee shape on the base which I wasn’t very happy with – but I sold it recently at a club demo so it just goes to show some people like what we don’t.  Having said that I think a cove shape on the foot looks best. 

Just goes to show what you can make from a piece of firewood.

22. Here’s another couple of examples done in Yew – the one on the left is a bit thick.  Again I‘ve textured and burnt the edge. 

Cheers Dave 

Edited By Dave Atkinson on 31/07/2009 10:44:52

31/07/2009 10:36:36

13. Sanding down through the grits and the application of melamine lacquer results in a good finish.  That crack was still there by the way and I filled it with superglue before I sanded and it did the trick.>>

> 14. I have made a small wooden end for my revolving centre as this gives better support to the goblet when I finish the end piece. >

I put some kitchen towel between the wood and the centre and this prevents any marking.

15. Now it’s a simple matter of shaping the outside to match the inside.  Keep an eye on the thickness or you’ll have a pretty, but useless, funnel!  You can see here the presentation of the tool to start the cut. (white balance all wrong – sorry!)>>

16. When you get to this stage sand and finish the bowl. 

17. Now work your way from the base of the bowl towards the base, finishing as you go.   

31/07/2009 10:31:48
7.  I’ve finished the initial shaping of the bowl part.  Leave the bulk of the log in place for now as this will reduce the tendency for the log to vibrate as you hollow out the bowl of the goblet.

8.  Ready to go on the inside of the bowl.

9.  Using a 3/8” spindle gouge i bored a hole down the timber to the required depth – about 1.5 to 2 inches.

10.  Using a spindle gouge, or a ¼” bowl gouge I use a pull cut from the centre towards the edge.  I find that although this cut is with the grain it tends to leave some tear out especially on timber like this which was a little soft.

11.  To improve the finish I use a ¼” bowl gouge with the wings ground back and make a finishing cut from the edge to the middle.  The best way to do this is to get the bevel rubbing somewhere about and inch from the edge but without a cut.  Move the tool outwards until it just clears the edge.  Raise th handle slightly and work your way back in.  This will take a small cut and the bevel will rub and you won’t get a catch – takes a steady hand a bit of practise – but it gives a great cut. 

12.  Here you can make out the better finish on the outside edge compared to the inside having used the “downhill” cut.

31/07/2009 10:25:51
Been promising to do this for a while and now I've got a "ROUNDTUIT"!
1. Select your log – about 6 to 8 inches long and about 2 to 3 inches diameter.  Make sure the pith is off centre and doesn’t cross the centre line between the ends, otherwise it’s bound to cross the stem and your goblet will break.  I don’t know what this wood was but it has some interesting colour and a worrying crack across the middle! 

2. Here’s the piece mounted between centres.

3. It’s a little out of balance so start the lathe at between 500 and 1000 rpm.

4.  I use a spindle roughing gouge to take the edges off and get it mainly in balance.  Sometimes I use a half inch bowl gouge to take off the edges. 

5.  Having taken off the edges I start to roughly shape the bowl part of the goblet.  Leave about 6 – 8 mm of the natural edge showing so you have enough of the edge left to refine the edge of the bowl in the next stage.

6. Now’s the time put a chucking point on the headstock end of the log.  I have a supernova chuck and the jaw profile is straight with a small dovetail right at the end.  (Yes, it made quite a bang when I caught the chuck jaw!- it was some time ago though!!)  

Edited By Dave Atkinson on 31/07/2009 10:41:49

Edited By Dave Atkinson on 31/07/2009 10:43:03

Thread: teak clok
30/07/2009 22:05:09
Great piece of work
Cheers Dave 
Thread: Segmented Lattice
30/07/2009 22:03:52
Excellent Ralph - a great "how to"

Cheers Dave 
Thread: Garfield's log bowl
27/07/2009 22:50:13
I think it's yew as well and it's an interesting design - I like it

Cheers Dave 
Thread: How thick!
26/07/2009 09:50:52
Hi ron - I'm going for 95

Cheers Dave 
Thread: proceeds to charity
23/07/2009 08:57:50
Alan
Great pieces of work - well deserved prause.  I like the spindle turnjing particularly

Cheers dave 
Thread: happy birthday
22/07/2009 12:10:35
Here you go with jam chuck pics

Jam chuck made ready to take the box shown on top of  the chuck 

Box fixed by gently tapping it on

Finishing it off

hope that helps

Dave 
22/07/2009 10:49:09
Jamming is taking your guitar to a piub and having a go!

Jam chucks are very easy - fix a piece of scrap wood to your lathe and then make a spigot (or recess) onto (into) into which your piece fits.  It should be tight (or use a bit of spit to make the fibres swell.  then you can turn your piece.  It's often used for bottoms of boxes or reverse chucking bowls.

I have some pics I'll try to post later

Cheers DAVE 
Thread: Ralph's Burr vase
20/07/2009 15:38:30
Looks great Ralph - another great piece

What make is your new tool?  

Cheers Dave 

Edited By Dave Atkinson on 20/07/2009 15:39:01

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Triton
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact