By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dave Atkinson

Here is a list of all the postings Dave Atkinson has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: My first craft show
07/12/2009 19:29:34
Good luck Eric

Our club attended one yesterday and it went pretty well - we all sold some stuff.

Ralph's advice is great.

Cheers Dave
Thread: Hurling Sticks
07/12/2009 19:24:29
Hi Guys I have had a gent from Northern Ireland contact me via the AWGB Website. It seems he make Hurling Sticks and is looking for a copy lathe which will make 4 sticks at a time - I have no idea how.
This is the text of his email:
Hi David its Raymond here, I spoke to you briefly last night on the phone about a copying lathe for making Queen Anne Legs, it is actually to make hurling sticks. I stay in N.Ireland and was informed of your website. The machine i am looking for will cut four sticks at a time using one template.
Anyone got any ideas. When I spoke to him he says there was a firm that made these lathes but they went out of business. please let me know and I'll get back in touch with him Cheers Dave

Edited By Dave Atkinson on 07/12/2009 19:25:04

Thread: im a winner
04/12/2009 12:19:17
well done mate

Get well soon

Dave
Thread: Wood burning stoves.
02/12/2009 14:01:20
Hi Roger

I too have a wooden workshop, insulated with fiberglass and sheathed in plywood.  Mines 16' x 8' so a bit smaller than yours.

I wouldn't have a wood burning stove for two reasons - first somethking may catch fire and burn the place down.
Second it'll only be warm when it'slit.

I installed two oil filled radiators and connected them to a thermostat.  I keep the stat at about 8 degrees so it doesn't come on much but it keeps everything dry and rust free.  I can turn it up if I'm working and want some heat.

I've found it very efficient and doesn't cost much and it's safe.   

Hope this helps

Cheers Dave
Thread: Going swimmingly
22/11/2009 21:44:20
Hi Marc

Stunning pieces of work - well done.  You have a great talent

Take care

Dave
Thread: CUBIC MEASUREMENT
13/11/2009 14:13:04
Hi Ged

If the wood is measured in inches multiply the length x width x depth and divide by 1728

For example a piece 24 inches x 6 inches x 6 inches would be:

24x6x6 = 864

Cu ft = 864/1728 = 0.5 cu ft

Hope that helps

Cheers Dave

Thread: Just joined!
10/11/2009 12:41:51
Hi Richard

As Alan as has said, welcome.  I've just had a look at your album and you have some (in fact all) stunning pieces of work.

How to's would be greatly appreciated by all I;m sure.

Cheers Dave

Edited By sparky on 10/11/2009 20:41:50

Thread: Baz'z bed ;)
04/11/2009 13:40:42
Nice work Baz

Glad to see you;re keeing busy

Cheers Dave
Thread: Sparky's Trinket Box
04/11/2009 13:38:33
Nice piece of work marc

Cheers Dave
Thread: Newsletters
21/10/2009 20:08:28
Hi ben

I've had mine too thanks

Dave
Thread: snowmen
21/10/2009 20:06:14
They look great Robert

I may just have a go at something like that myself.

Cheers Dave
Thread: Insurance for workshops
21/10/2009 20:04:49
Hi Eric

I can answer that one for you.  I am the insurance officer for the Association of Woodturners of Great Britain.

We deal with Ian Wallace who is the broker for the Craftsman policy from Aviva.  The basic cost of cover is £69.75 per annum for public liability with workshop contents costed at £32 per £1,000 on top. 

I have been discussing insurance with Ian just lately and it is important to make sure you are fully insured.  If not then in the event of a total loss the amount you get back will be drastically reduced.  Apparently this is called "subject to average" and it is very common on household contents policies where may people are under insured.

Ian's contact details are:

www.craftinsurance.co.uk/

hope that helps (by the way I have looked around and there would seem to be no other insurer with this type of policy)

Cheers Dave
Thread: baby rattle- how to
19/10/2009 13:03:14
a great how to Vaughn

cheers Dave
Thread: Revitalised Review Section...
02/10/2009 14:07:14
Thanks Ben

I'll get around to it in the next couple of weeks or so.

Cheers Dave
02/10/2009 10:56:50
Hi ben

I have a Nova DVR and a record DML 24 (upgraded) both of which I;ll review when time permits.

I also have a SIP 14" bandsaw  which I''ll also do when I get a spare minute - must get back to the day job now!

Cheers Dave
Thread: Listen up all you Woodturners...
02/10/2009 10:54:45
Ron

well done setting up the new club.  At our club we have two competitions each month - turners and advanced.  There are different subjects for each month with the turners being slightly different to the advanced.  At each meeting about 6 people who haven't entered are asked to judge them.  We give each entry a number.  Points are awarded for 1st 2nd and 3rd and a point for entering.  then we have a league table.  It's all for fun, no critiques.

If you want more detail about teh scoring I'll find out.  Sometimes we get a certificate (if the member who arranges it all remembers to bring them!

Competitions are like raffles - if you don't enter you can;t win - I say let's give it a whirl.
I hope we can post entries as i can't get to London to bring mine.

Cheers Dave

Thread: Just an Experiment
02/10/2009 10:48:39
Hi Derek

Like Derek I think a little shape on the pedastal would make it look better.  Having said that I love the rings - How did you do that?

I agree with Vaughn - a how to is in order.

Cheers Dave
Thread: Olly`s leg
01/10/2009 18:47:39
Do you think the leg's for the dog to use?
Cheers Dave
Thread: Listen up all you Woodturners...
01/10/2009 18:43:52
Derek

Why not?  I used to think that but turning something for a contest and actually seeing it out there is a great thrill, even if you don't get placed.

And like Marc says I think you under-estimate yourself.

Let's go for it

Cheers Dave
Thread: Fruit Bowl
27/09/2009 20:03:20
Superb grain pattern isn't it?  I like it.

Is you to do list as long as mone Cedric?

Cheers Dave
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Robert Sorby
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Wood Workers Workshop
Craft Supplies
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact