By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dave Atkinson

Here is a list of all the postings Dave Atkinson has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Woodwork Clubs
10/06/2008 12:09:00

Hi I do publicity for the Cheshire Guild of Woodturners, we meet at Plumley Village Hall just outside Knutsford on the third Thursday of each month. 

Visitors and new members always welcome.  We have Sue Harker coming to demonstrate on Thursday 19th June starting at 7.30 p.m.

Our website is www.cgw.org.uk

Cheers Dave

Thread: Horse Chestnut natural edge burr Top view
10/06/2008 11:44:00

Thanks for your kind comments

Yes when it's spinnning at 1200 rpm it sounds like the lathe will take off but ot does provide a gentle breeze throughout the shed!  There is no vibration once it's come into balance - I generaly start slow and work up as soon as possible as it cuts better at a faster speed.

Sparky - I cut it very carefully!!  It is really important to find the bevel before you bring the cut on.  I also found with this piece that a straight ground 1/4" bowl gouge worked best for the wings - but I tried my swept back gouges as well, but the finish was not as good.

If you do anything like this put a mark on the tool rest where the outer edges go to - then you know not to out your fingers anywhere near it - otherwise it hurts and sometimes gives a splash of colour to the work!

Thanks again for the comments.

Dave

Thread: Natural Edge Cherry Goblet
10/06/2008 11:37:00

Thanks for your kind comments guys

Mike - you've guessed it!

Marc/Baz - you should try it.  I know you've not been turning long Marc but the great  about these goblets is they are made from branch offcuts that normally get shredded and most anything will do.  It can be done either wet or dry but if the wood is wet the stem will twist which gives and interesting effect as well.  The trouble with damp wood is it is harder to get a decent finish, unless you wet sand, so I generally let my branches dry out a bit.

If you can find some with a contrasting heart - yew, laburnum or cypress then the results can be spectacular.

I use branch wood to practise with and many end up in the bin at first but I like to stretch myself and get the stem and bowl as thin as possible - I wanted to finish this piece so I didn't go as thin as perhaps I could have done on both the bowl, which is about 2.5mm and the stem which is about 3mm.

Perhaps I should write it up? Do you think anyone would be interested?

Dave

Thread: Cup - makings of candlestick.jpg
10/06/2008 09:01:00

Hi Marc

These are very good for early attempts.  Pine is very difficult to turn well and to get the rim that thin is testament to your skills.

I hope you don't mind me saying but I think you put too much detail on your candlesticks - I think less might be more. 

Here's a little tip I picked up for turning bead:

When turing the right hand side lay your index finger along the gouge and rotate your wrist right and you will "draw" a perfect curve.  When turning the left hand side of the bead grip the gouge with the thumb on top and rotate the wrist left and again you will "draw" the curve.  Just try it thin air and you will see what I mean.  This helps to get perfect beads.  I only found that out last year and wished I'd known much earlier.

Let's see some more of your turning soon.

Cheers Dave

Thread: P J's Workbench
06/06/2008 12:20:00

Having just read all these posts about benches I just wish I had a bench!! 

As I spend most of my time turning it's not a problem.  I have built most things I have made on the trusty old Workmate (I have 2 of these), including cutting all the steel by hand for a Horsebox I made from scratch  and fitted to the top of a Bedford TK - 18ft long, 8foot wide and 8 foot tall.  That was a job and a half - single handed - I did ask the wife to help once but when she dropped a piece of steel I was trying to weld and I swore at her she left me to it!

My workshop 16ft x 8 ft has only been with me 3 years, before that I worked in an 8 x 6 and lots of what I have done has been done in the garden - and still is if it's of any size.

Apart from the crib, most of what I make relates to props for the local amateur dramatic society, where I also build sets. 

I do have a "bench" of sorts - it's the top of kitchen base units that goes across the end of my shed.  It works for me. 

I think I'll give some thought to rearranging my layout so I can fit a bench in.

Cheers Dave

Thread: Sanding plate & table.
05/06/2008 22:56:00

Hi Mike

I use white internal push fit type waste pipe, but I think grey would work just as well. 

I've never tried anything larger.

Cheers Dave

PS I see you've passed the 1000 - congrats!  I've a way to go yet!

05/06/2008 12:43:00

Ralph

You can buy self adhesive Velcro from Staples (www.staples.co.uk).  Hegner also sell abrasive sheets and they do a self adhesive velcro sheet as well - contact John Berkeley for more info (http://www.johnberkeley.co.uk/) although I suspect Staples may be the cheaper option.

You could also use double sided carpet tape.  I use it for attaching small blanks to my faceplate sometimes. I find you need to put a piece on the blank and a piece on the faceplate and then stick them together - sticks like muck to a blanket!

Olly/Derek

I use a bit of plastic waste pipe to clean my sanding discs, plastic trunking works just as well.  Then the discs last for ages. You can get this from many skips for free!!

Cheers Dave

Thread: Lattice Lidded Pot
05/06/2008 11:42:00
You're on Mike - but it might be a couple of weeks!
05/06/2008 11:07:00

Ralph

Have you tried a hair dyer to warm the glue before you "pop it off"?  An alterntive is to pop it in the microwave for a very short time on low power to soften the hot melt glue.

Both methods require that the significant other half is out.

Mike

It would be hard to do the bowl without a lathe and us turners use the lathe for all sorts.

I have an craftsman sears router that I;ve had for many years and it does see the light of day from time to time.  Perhaps when I get more time I will use it more?  I'm always tempted when I see the latest router products but that's because I'm a bit of a tool junkie rather than having any real use for it.

Dave

04/06/2008 22:49:00

Me too.  

I'm going to put in on my (very long) list of things to try.

Looking forward to the write up and photos

Cheers Dave

04/06/2008 20:20:00

Great piece Ralph

Did you stick the lemonwood to another piece of timber to turn the flower shape on the top, or use some form of jam chuck?  I reckon this needed turning on 6 centres plus the one in the middle.

How much vibration did you get?

I'm also guessing you turned the underneath of the lid first and the top second.

Am I right?

Dave

Thread: crib for web.jpg
04/06/2008 08:29:00

Hiya

I got my planks from Craft Supplies - I don't know whether they still have any as it was a couple of years ago when I got them.  Their telephone number is 01433 622550.

It is a super wood to work and takes an excellent finish - I mainly turn stuff, projects like this one are few and far between, so I just buy what I fancy when I'm in the store.  It always amazes me how with al the wood I have, there is never a piece that's just right for what I have in mind and I have to buy more.

I think my wife buys shoes on the same principle!!

Cheers Dave

Thread: Red Mallee Natural Edge Bowl gallery.jpg
04/06/2008 08:22:00

Yes Baz, I've spotted that as well!  And the off switch seems to be nowhere in sight

I think I should also have said that this was Red Mallee Burr, hence the figuring.

Cheers Dave

Thread: Textured Pot.jpg
03/06/2008 17:23:00

I'm over-awed by the comments - thanks guys.  It's very encouraging to get other opinions.  Turning tends to be a solitary occupation and this forum is a great way of sharing what we've done.  I'm still finding my way around the galleries but from what I've seen so far the standard of workmanship is fabulous.

Cheers Dave

Thread: Lots of newcomers....but not many new galleries!
03/06/2008 14:56:00

Thanks Mike for you comments - I'm much encouraed and will add some more at the weekend.

Dave

Thread: Red Mallee Natural Edge Bowl gallery.jpg
03/06/2008 14:56:00

I bought the blank at a Craft Supplies show for £18.50 and kept it for a good 6 months until I'd completed a course with Mick Hanbury in February last year.  Mick showed me how to use my tools better to create a rectangar dish which is a bit like turning a propellor.

Fresh with confidence I started this piece. It's quite scary turning rectangular timber, and pieces such as this as they sound like an airplane as well! The trick is to keep your fingers out of the way

I've done a couple more pieces where I create what I call a "bowl in a log" - essentially a bowl with wings.  When I get home I'll take a couple of photos and post them at the weekend.  I'm hoping to fonish a Horse chestnut Burr in similar fashion at the weekend, but there's time for it all to go horribly wrong before it's finished.

Cheers for now and thanks again for the comments.

Dave

Thread: crib for web.jpg
03/06/2008 14:46:00

Yes, the sprog is now 18th months old.  I delivered the crib a week before she dropped. 

This has to be one of the best things I ever made. 

Cheers Dave

Thread: Front 1.jpg
03/06/2008 14:42:00
Thanks Sparky.
Thread: Textured Pot.jpg
03/06/2008 14:20:00

Thanks Sparky for the info - saved me loads of time.  I'm delighted by your comments.  How do you guys find time to respond so quick!  I just pop in and out whilst I'm at work.

Anyway the pot is made from Sycamore and the inspiration came from Mick Hanbury who does a lot of texturinnd colouring.  The idea for the coloured sircles was mine.

The pot is about 2.5 inches in diameter and about 4.5 inches high.

It's very easy to do, once you have created the texture (and you can use a knurling tool if you have one) I simply fixed some masking tape to a strip of scrap and drilled 1" holes with a forstner bit. I stuck the holes on at random and applied the first colour - red, when this has almost set, take off the tape and overlay another hole -  green, then finally the blue.  When that's all set do the black and then using 80 grit and an extrator sand it back, sand through the grits and finish with melamine or similar.

Cheers Dave

Thread: cutting inside
02/06/2008 21:28:00

No problems Clive.

Keep at it, when I started I used to reckon three went in the bin for every one that wasn't bad .  The ratio's improved now but I still put a fair amount of practise work in the firewood pile.

The most important thing is to enjoy the turning.

Cheers Dave

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Marriott & Co
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact