By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dave Atkinson

Here is a list of all the postings Dave Atkinson has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Getting a grip
26/06/2008 13:41:00

Welcome Brian, I, like the others, am delighted someone is teaching kids something useful.

I'm sure you will find the site members only too willing to share their knowledge and experiences. 

As a matter of interest are you teaching them any woodturning?  If not and they are interested the Association of Woodturners of Great Britain (AWGB) are running a Young Turners workshop - it is free tuition for ages 14 - 18.  If you are interested contact Peter Bradwick, the AWGB Member Development Officer, for details of courses and dates. Peter's details are on the AWGB website http://www.woodturners.co.uk/

Cheers Dave

Thread: Help! Lathe Restoration Project
26/06/2008 13:30:00

Looks impressive Richard.  Looking forward to seeing the rest brought up to standard.

Dave

Thread: Random Orbital Sanders
26/06/2008 12:00:00

Try www.axminster.co.uk - pack of 12 for £4.30

Cheers Dave

23/06/2008 18:27:00

I have a Draper one - bought on a budget and it works fine.  However, I do finish by hand with the grain between grits.

Dave

Thread: blanks
23/06/2008 18:22:00

Hi Colin

I live in Macclesfield and use Craft Supplies which is South East of Manchester.  Is that the supplier you mentioned?  I try to get over for the monthly demo on the first saturday of the month and usually buy a couple of blanks whilst I'm there.

I also scrounge any branchwood that's going as I like doing natural edge stuff.  Have you tried local tree surgeons?  They're often pleased to help out and may even give you a few of those branches they put through the shredder.  They may also plank up some timber for you to season at home.

Are you in a club?  If not have a look at www.nfwg.co.uk - there are many clubs in teh manchester area and I;m sure their members will be able to assist, if you go along to the meetings.

Hope that helps

Dave

Thread: Good evening and hello.
23/06/2008 18:05:00

Hi Jonathan, I've not been a member long but there's plenty to keep you occupied.  I've not had chance to look at the forum for a few days but it seems to have had a rejunvenating effect - Mike looks years younger and as for Sparky - words fail me!  

Cheers Dave

Thread: The woodworker, plug cutters.
23/06/2008 15:14:00

I have to agree with Derek, I bought a cheap set of plug cutters and found two things - the plug was a different size to the drilled hole, despite saying they were the same (the plug was smaller!)  I also got a problem with burning, and I sharpened them before use.

I gave up and made some plugs on the lathe as Ralph suggests.  However, this is not the ideal if you want lots of them as it is difficult to produce a lot of plugs of uniform size on the lathe using hand tools, especially if you want side grain plugs, as opposed to end grain.

I think it must be a case of getting what you pay for.  If I have to do any more then I'll buy a quality cutter.

Dave

Thread: Small Vase Masur Birch
17/06/2008 21:36:00

I call these design opportunities! Another great piece.

Dave

Thread: Masur Birch 2nd View
17/06/2008 21:34:00

Ralph

A great bit of work - I love the contrast.

Dave

Thread: Tony Wilson Demo 20 September
17/06/2008 13:56:00

Hi

On Saturday 20 September, Tony Wilson is doing a full day demonstration at Plumley Village Hall for the Cheshire Guild of Woodturners (www.cgw.org.uk).  This is an early warning notice as we still have to work out the details.  Please put it in your diary - we'd love to see as many of you as possible.

More details when I have them

Cheers Dave

Thread: Lead Shot for Ballast
16/06/2008 17:16:00

Hi Paul 

I'm not sure I understand why the shot needs to be smaler that 1mm diameter if you're ging to encapsulate it in resin.  I'm picturing a recess in the base of the piece with balast in resin, incwhich case it could be made deeper to accomodate the shot, or bits of lead as Mike suggests.  I'm intrigued by the design - can you let us know more please?

Also I'm sure the H&S police etc will be on the case if you use lead, in terms of being swallowed etc, unless it's for your own use in whch case it's OK.

Cheers Dave

Thread: Spalted beech bowl
16/06/2008 14:17:00

I've been turning foor 8 years and pieces still leave the lathe, particularly when I've just jam chucked a box to finish the base and then it bounces off every sharp corner it can find!

I've only had one piece go through the window though!

as long as the bowl didn't crack you could call it "ART"

Cheers Dave

16/06/2008 11:03:00

By the way Baz, I think the form and finish of your bowl is superb.

Dave

16/06/2008 11:01:00

Good luck Baz with remounting the work.  It's often the case that blanks that are "part seasoned" especialy spalted stuff are still wet.   I tend to buy timber when I see it and then leave it to sette in the workshop, usually for quite some time.  I still have stuff to use that I bought six years ago.  (that's probably because I buy timber and tools like my wife buys show and handbags)  Kiln dried tends not to move too much.

As far as getting a firm hold with the chuck goes there is an optimum size (and this may well be old news!) for the spigot or recess.  Chuck jaws are made as a whole and then saws into four leaving a kerf of about 3mm.  If you measure the jaw diameter  when they are open about 3mm you will get a "perfect circle" and this will prvide the best grip.  Variations from this will leave the piece being held on 8 corners, which is not as safe.

Mike, looking forward to your dresser - sounds very complex to me.

Thread: Lots of newcomers....but not many new galleries!
12/06/2008 12:00:00

I am in the AWGB forum which also has a gallery.  There is a statement on there about gallery etiquette, which basicaly states, if you don't want feedback say so and I've not seen any instances of inappropriate feedback and I'd hope that no-one would make disparaging comments either there or on here.

But I do believe that constructive comments are welcome and should be encouraged. 

I think it is great to get feedback from fellow enthusiasts/professionals - it by listening to these comments that I have improved the work that I do. 

You don't have to like something to appreciate the skill that has gone into its production, but maybe that only comes with age? 

Cheers Dave

Thread: Woodwork Clubs
11/06/2008 09:16:00

That would be a great idea, especially if those inolved updated with details of events.

I travel around the country most weeks and am always on the lookout for a local club I can visit whilst I am away. 

DAve

Thread: Natural Edge Cherry Goblet
10/06/2008 18:49:00

Tops - I'll get onto it next week.

Cheers Dave

10/06/2008 18:33:00

Thanks Sparky

I'll put it on my list!  I'm hoping to get some time next week.  Splitting shouldn't be a problem if the wood reasonably dry and if you can get it thin enough then it will just distort. 

How do you get the write up on the site?

Cheers Dave

Thread: Puzzle box - money box
10/06/2008 13:58:00

This is a great piece of work Marc well done indeed.

I agree with the rest - let's see a video of how it works.  I'm sat here wanting to twist the shields! Of course, if you make the video you'll have to have to dress like indiana jones with hat and whip!

Cheers Dave

Thread: Salt Scoops
10/06/2008 13:49:00

I like the scoops too - they're on my list of things to make.

Cheers Dave

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Robert Sorby
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact