By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dave Atkinson

Here is a list of all the postings Dave Atkinson has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Newbie needs help
16/06/2010 08:47:53
Oops!!  I should have clicked your link - still as you say "great minds etc"

Cheers Dave 
15/06/2010 21:22:57
Hi Bob

Try this link as well http://www.lathes.co.uk/myfordwood/ 

Cheers Dave 
Thread: The Bury St Edmunds Woodturning Club's new lathe
15/06/2010 21:18:20
Great stuff Ron - enjoy!

Dave 
Thread: Padauk & Maple pen
13/06/2010 18:44:03
Hi Baz

Great pen, you've far more patience than I've got.  I think it looks great and Ralph's suggestion about purpleheart is a good idea.

Cheers Dave 
Thread: large alphabet
07/06/2010 21:58:06
Great Stuff Dennis

Your mate will be delighted I'm sure

Cheers Dave 
Thread: Worshipful Company of Turners Competition
06/06/2010 16:58:15
Hi Ralph

Hope you;re back in the shed again.  I have also run out of time.  If there are any pictures of the event I'll post a link here.

Cheers Dave 
Thread: Record
02/06/2010 08:50:37
Looks great Sam

Isn't dust normal?

Cheers Dave 
31/05/2010 09:31:19
Hi Sam

Sounds like fun - look forward to seeing the pics.

Cheers Dave 
Thread: Worshipful Company of Turners Competition
28/05/2010 09:26:08
Hi all

As a member of Executive Committee of the Association of Woodturners of Great Britain we have received the following from the Nick Edwards of  the Worshipful Company.  The closing date for the competition has been extended until June11th so get turning!  For those of you who are members of the AWGB there is a section for us and it's well worth entering.

I have no other details other than those below (which give a link to the website).  If you want to know more about the AWGB please send me a PM

Cheers Dave

text from WCT:

Just a final reminder that the date of the Turners' Company's prestigious turning competitions - June 16th - is fast approaching and we are looking for your support. There are several super prizes of £1250 to be won with numerous smaller cash prizes and vouchers from the supporting trade. There are several levels to the Competitions to suit both the most experienced turners and those who are relative beginners. Special competitions are run for members of the Association of Woodturners of Great Britain, the Society of Ornamental Turners and the Association of Pole-Lathe Turners. The location is in the historic Apothecaries' Hall near Blackfriars Station in Central London. Full details and entry forms are available on the website www.turnersco.com

To make it easier we have now extended the closing date for entries to June 11th and the entry forms may be posted or emailed to clerk@turnersco.com.

There are now designated drop-off points to take the work to Central London and bring it back if you so wish. These drop-off points are:- 

Nick Edwards -North Bedfodshire  01234 709592

Rob Lucas - Beaconsfield  01494 6715988

Ray Key - Evesham  01386 830142

Richard Hoodless - Kingston-on-Thames  0208 3301338

Mike Windsor - North London  0208 8883688

Katie Abbott - Dunmow  01371 872705

Please note also that the office address of the Clerk of the Worshipful Company of Turners is now :- Skinners Hall, 8 Dowgate Hill, London EC4R 2SP

telephone 0207236 3605. All mail will be re-directed to this address

If you need further help please contact either the Clerk or the undersigned>

Best regards
Nick Edwards

Tel 01234 709592

Edited By Dave Atkinson on 28/05/2010 09:28:49

Edited By Dave Atkinson on 28/05/2010 09:29:14

28/05/2010 09:20:47
Hi Dennis

You may have to bite the bullet to get the font you want but when you come to print if you select the "properties"  button on the print screen it will take you to the properties menu for the printer.  Have a look around and you will find a heading print quality or dots per inch.  Under quality there is likely to be a heading draft or even fast draft.  Select one of these, it reduces the print quality and uses much less ink.
If there is a setting for dots per inch use the lowest one you can find.

Cheers Dave 
Thread: Alteration to my hollowing tool
28/05/2010 09:13:33
Hi Baz

You've done a great job.  I shall have to get busy over the weekend!

Cheers Dave 
27/05/2010 09:30:10
Hi Dennis

Do you have access to Microsoft Word, if so you can make you own.

Open a new document and type a letter. Highlight the letter with your cursor and then click the A with an up arrow next to it on the toolbar.  This is next to the box that has the fontstyle and size.  You can then get the letter to the size you want.  if you scroll through the fonts you can also get the style you want as well.

Hope that all makes sense, if not let me know and I'll try to takes some screen shots for you. 

Cheers Dave 
Thread: 18 wheel truck
25/05/2010 17:48:08
I love it.  I have made a number of toys for the kids and this is something special.  It looks a bit too good to give away though - I think I'd keep it on the shelf!

Cheers Dave 
Thread: pill box
25/05/2010 17:44:33
Hi Garfield, I'd agree with all of the above.  Great little box.  It's always amazes me what can be done with what often looks like firewood.

Cheers Dave 

Thread: Alteration to my hollowing tool
21/05/2010 08:30:08
Hi again

Interesting about the cutter for dry wood Baz, I;ll have a look and see.

I've found the hardest part of this hollowing lark is when you come across a knot or something similar.  if the grain is fairly tru then it's fairly easy but when you get a knot the tools tends to bounce and vibrate, so a firm grip and gentle cuts are the order of the day.

Looks like the weather is set for the weekend.  I did my garden last week so maybe on Saturday I can escape to the shed

Cheers Dave 
20/05/2010 15:28:15
That's pretty dammed clever Baz - I have a Rolly tool and it's not too hard to use - takes a bit of practice.  On wet wood it's great fun.  as the wood gets drier it gets more difficult.

Let us know how you get on

Cheers Dave 
Thread: Aytes chaim
15/05/2010 08:49:55
Hi Ian

Looking at the pictures it seems much as dennis Suggests:

Turn two ends using faceplate turning as though you were doing a bowl.  i would suggest fastening the blank to a wooden facplate using double sided carpet tape.

The spindles must come apart I guess so it can be inserted thbrough the Torah.  In which case i would turn it in three sections - two ends and a middle.  i would insert seom threaded rod in the ends of the centre spindle and fix a nut in the ends of the hadle, then it will all screw together.  alternatively, you could thread the ends or the spindle by hand if you used a suitable timber, or use a boxwood insert for this part.

Hope that helps.

It would be good to see the finsihed items

Cheers Dave 
14/05/2010 10:16:24
Hi Ian

I've never heard of Ates Chaim either and google didn't return any meaningful results either.  Have you spelt it right? 

Cheers Dave 
Thread: maths!
05/04/2010 19:14:08
HI

Divide the sizes you have by 1000 - this will give you the sizes in metres.

Multiply the length by the width by the depth - this will give you the number of cubic metres.

The multiply the number of cubic metres by the cost per cubic metre.

Don;t forget to allow for wastes etc

Cheers Dave 
Thread: dangerous turning video
22/03/2010 15:16:46
Hi

I often use the long point of a skew to mark out and turn a bead.   Not sure about turning uphill with a spindle gouge and no one should slow things down by hand - I know we are all guilty of that one though.

Cheers Dave
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Marriott & Co
Felder UK April 2016
Robert Sorby
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact