By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dave Atkinson

Here is a list of all the postings Dave Atkinson has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Bookcase.jpg
23/08/2008 09:13:00

Just fabulous!  I think it's awesome.

Cheers Dave

Thread: Spalted Bowl _1.jpg
21/08/2008 08:48:00

I know just what you mean Ralph. 

I found that part turning and leaving it to dry helped and then I gave it a couple of coats of sanding sealer thinned about 25% and left that to dry.  If the tear out is minimal a bit of 80 grit sorts it out

It all depends on the size but I did find that left too long it just becomes firewood.

I don't think it's much use for anything other than practice and the occasional bowl looks OK.  I made a lot of fruit with some branchwood which I think looks spectacular but the punters aren't very keen.

Cheers Dave 

Thread: Charity Sale
20/08/2008 10:50:00

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Dave

Thread: table lamp
20/08/2008 10:47:00

Great piece Dennis - I haven't got the patience to glue it all up!

Cheers Dave

Thread: Spalted Bowl _1.jpg
20/08/2008 10:45:00

Thanks guys

I used a shear cut from the wing of my bowl gouge on the outside to get the finish.  The inside was much easier. 

Silver Birch spalts very quickly (inside a few months) and I left this a couple of years and some of it inevitably ended up in the bin!

The branches made some unusual apples and pears.

Cheers Dave

Thread: Natural Edge Cherry Goblet
19/08/2008 10:16:00

Hi Dennis

It is a bit nerve racking but as long as the pith doesn't go throuvgh the stem it usually  works.

I have turned a round end for my live centre and wind this into the goblet bowl, with a bit of kitchen towel to stop it marking.  This helps to stop the bowl going out of true.  It is also sometimes easier to finish the stem as you go because once it starts to go out of true it' too late!

I've just posted some yew ones in my gallery.

Cheers Dave

Thread: Natural edge bowl
15/08/2008 11:30:00

Great piece of work Ralph - is it end grain?  I'm tempted to cut down my hedge having seen this!

Cheers Dave

Thread: 100_0203.jpg
13/08/2008 13:48:00

Hi Al, Thanks for the advice about the Contractors wax oil.  I'll add it to my list of finishes.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of the finished item.

Cheers dave

13/08/2008 10:02:00

Hi Big Al

It's a great looking bookcase.

I'm sure you know this but Danish Oil will darken the timber significantly.  If you want to keep the colour and just bring out the figure try Liberon Finishing Oil which has similar properties but doesn't darken the wood like Danidh Oil.

Cheers Dave

Thread: Flower Bowl Pomander
12/08/2008 12:41:00

Superb piece of work Ralph.

I think perhaps I should get a bok - I have lots of bits of paper with sketches on and most of them end up getting lost!

Cheers Dave

Thread: candle holder
12/08/2008 12:37:00

Nice work Marc!

Cheers Dave

Thread: Cup - makings of candlestick.jpg
28/07/2008 17:40:00

Turning beads is what a spindle gouge is for so I very rarely use a skew in this way.  Otherwise, I use it for planing and peeling cuts and defining detail. 

Having said that it's really impressive if you can do it!

Dave

Thread: Help With Record/Coronet Bed Bars
28/07/2008 13:33:00

Ashley, I think it depends on the length, they were tubuar on the DML 24 but for the CL4 (48" long) I think they are solid.  If you can only get tubuar consider plugging one end and filling with paving sand (it is very fine and kiln dried for pouring between paving blocks) then plug the other end.  That should help to stop any tendency to flex.

Cheers Dave

Thread: Cup - makings of candlestick.jpg
28/07/2008 13:29:00

Having practised this for hours I find sometimes it works fine, other times I produce the thread!  I use the long pointfor this as it enables me to see where the tool is. 

The best results come from just picking it up and doing it.  Then mild heart attack follows when I realise what I've just done!

Cheers Dave

Thread: Yew'le log.
25/07/2008 11:30:00

Thanks Dennis - great tip and it worked fine.

Why doesn't the search function work?  I typed in "blanks" in "titles" and it couldn't find any.  I guess the search function needs fixing, or am I missing something.

Anyway thanks for your help _ I'm hoping to see Derek next week.

Cheers Dave

Thread: 5 years from now what would you like to be doing
22/07/2008 14:24:00

I have tried this approach but it hasn't worked too well.  Must try harder!!

I also make the mistake of forgetting why it was so difficult last time!

DAve

Thread: Yew'le log.
22/07/2008 14:18:00
Good idea Mike - why didn't I think of that?
22/07/2008 13:32:00

Hi Derek

A short time ago you had a thread about Yew blanks you were amassing which we could pick up from you.  I can't find the thread and I can't get the search facility to work to find the thread.  I'm in Bristol next week until Wednesday and thought it might be an opportunity to call on the way home.

Any news and what was the thread called?

Cheers Dave

Thread: 5 years from now what would you like to be doing
22/07/2008 13:19:00

Spending less time on the road, more in the workshop.

My family all think jobs will "just take a minute"!

Coupled with that well known phrase "dad, you know I really love you...." closely followed by "I'm a bit short this month/week/year!!!!"

Cheers Dave

Thread: MT 1 Or Mt2
10/07/2008 10:55:00

Hi Buzzy

Look at http://www.woodturners.org/tech_tips/morse_taper_sizes.htm

It is exactly as Ralph suggested. 

If you're turning pens and have a jacobs check then you can buy a mandrel with a straight shank that fits into a jacobs chuck - it's cheaper than buying one with a morese taper. You will also need a bushing set to suit the pens you are making.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Dave

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Robert Sorby
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact