By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dave Atkinson

Here is a list of all the postings Dave Atkinson has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Re-furbished Drum Table.
11/09/2008 12:49:00
Hi Derek It looks great - a super job. Cheers Dave
Thread: new extension end
11/09/2008 12:45:00
Hi Sparky It all looks very clean which is more than you can say for mine! Are you very tall? I just ask because I see you seem to have raised your lathe. Just being a nosy beggar really! Cheers Dave
Thread: Bowl Finishing
10/09/2008 13:02:00
Hi Chris Agree with all the above. I have done a few bits in spalted silver birch and found that some parts just need abrasive. I power sand these with 60 grit, it gets rid of tearout quickly, and the marks are easily removed ith the next grit up (which for me is 120 grit). Keep it moving though as you can turn a bowl in spalted wood with 60 grit!! Look forward to seeing the picture Cheers Dave
Thread: Hollowing systems
07/09/2008 11:53:00
Hi Alan I don't know what Tony had in mind yet. Seek me out if you come - we'd be very pleased to welcome you. Dave
Thread: Burr Elm Skelton Clock
05/09/2008 08:46:00

Another super clock

Dave

Thread: Another Clock
05/09/2008 08:44:00

Nice piece of work Mark - I like its simplicity - it lets the timber do the talking.  I bet it's a beggar to dust though

Dave

04/09/2008 16:11:00

Hi again Alan

Have you seen the post about "Wooden Blocks" - the lady is in Bala whch can;t be too far from you - there may be a bargain or two there.

Cheers Dave

04/09/2008 16:06:00

Hi Alan

I have the Large Roly Munro which does have a cranked head for small openings but at £170 you need to be sure.  If you're not in a rush I'd go to the Midlands Woodworking show on 10 - 12th October (see http://www.skpromotions.co.uk/midlands.htm) for details - Phil Irons will be there as is Les Thorne (rolly tools) and loads of suppliers and it's not too far from North Wales.

By the way if you fancy a day out we have Tony Wilson doing a full day demo at our club on Saturday 18th october 10 am to about 4 pm - it's a tenner including a light lunch.  We are the Cheshire guild of Woodturners see www.cgw.ork.uk for directions

Cheers Dave

Thread: Help with taper size
04/09/2008 15:54:00

Hi Chris

The Morse Taper size refers to the size of the hole the drive centre at the headstock and the live centre at the tailstock fit into.  Record use Morse taper size 1 (MT1) This is the smallest.  See http://www.woodturners.org/tech_tips/morse_taper_sizes.htm for more information.

You don't say what your problem is but...

I would recommend a 4 prong centre or a "stebcentre"  Their are advantages to both but both work well.  Whether you use a 2 or 4 prong centre it is important to embed them firmly in the end of teh spindle.  You do this by tapping smartly with a mallet (not a hammer which will damage the end of the centre) but this may split the spindle.  A better alternative is to cross cut the ends on the band saw if you have one by abut a millimetre.  This will ensure the prongs don't slip.

A good quality revolving centre is a good investmemt, particularly one with interchangeable ends so you can make your own for special projects.

When you have got set up you must lock the talstock quill, otherwise it tends to back off and the workpiece comes loose.  Another thing that often happens is that both drive and tailstock centres can work their way into the wood and again the thing comes loose.  Remember to tighten the quill again and lock it down.

I hope that helps.  If you can be more specific about your probem lots of people here will be pleased to help.

Cheers Dave

Thread: Burr Elm Bowl
03/09/2008 21:38:00

Great bowl Mark and lovely finish.

Cheers dave

03/09/2008 21:37:00

Hi Alan

I have a Rolly Munro and find it very good.  I aso have the RS2000 system from Sprby which I bought second hand and again it is a good tool but I prefer the Rolly Munro.

I have just been watching Mick Hanbury's new DVD on Making and Decorating Hollow Forms.  Mick reviews the tools you mention and apart from that it is an excellent DVD, especially  if you are new to hollowing.  You can buy it from www.ktmp.co.uk/ for about £20 plus postage.  It is well worth the purchase and I would watch it before I boiught the tool.

You can buy the Rolly from Les Thorne at www.thesheddirect.com

Hope that helps

Cheers Dave

Thread: chattering
03/09/2008 21:30:00

Hi Derek

Sometimes if you move the tool too fast down the spindle (I assume it is a spindle) then you get a spiral in the timber.  This is very hard to get rid of as the tool naturally sits in the groove.  This causes chatter.  I sometiimes get this on the sweep of the bowl - largelyin my rush to remove timber!

When this happens to me I change the speed of the lathe and move the tool very slowly alowing it to cut away the high spots.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Dave

Thread: sip 01360 Professional lathe
03/09/2008 21:26:00

Looks like it Sam!

I have four pieces of SIP kit and have yet to be disappointed, but not the lathe.  Let us know how get on

Cheers Dave

Thread: Horse Chestnut Bowl - top1.jpg
27/08/2008 08:51:00

Thanks guys - it was a b****r to turn - all out of balance and the wood was different densities throughout, some of it quite soft.  Thanks heavens for 60grit!

Dave

Thread: Horse Chestnut Bowl - base1.jpg
27/08/2008 08:49:00

Good spot Marc - not noticed that before.

Cheers mate

Thread: Segmented Vase
26/08/2008 20:48:00

Great piece Raplh, I don't do segmented stuff - takes far too much patience for me!  perhaps one day when I've got some time?

Looking forward to seeing some more

Cheers Dave

Thread: Lidded Pot.jpg
26/08/2008 18:49:00

Thanks Marc - I;ve just posted a pictire of a bowl I made last week - I think it is possibly one of the best I;ve done.

Cheers Dave

Thread: Yew_2.jpg
26/08/2008 18:47:00

Hi Ralph

Never too late

If you pay the postage plus 1.50 per piece I can send you a couple of pieces if you like.  They are about 5 inches in diameter and about 4 inches thick.  I can check on postage at the weekend.  Let me know.

Cheers Dave

Thread: Bookcase.jpg
23/08/2008 11:39:00

I agree with Ivor, I think it would look just as good the other way up as well.

Dave

Thread: Biscuit Jointers
23/08/2008 09:19:00

Mike

I think Derek means you can joint at any angle with a jointer which you can't do with a router table.

I have a draper which is in the price range.  It's been perfectly adequate for my needs, although I don't use it that much.

Cheers Dave

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Robert Sorby
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact