By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dave Atkinson

Here is a list of all the postings Dave Atkinson has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Ralph's Chestnut Burr vase
28/04/2009 12:53:45
Great piece Ralph - it's agreat wood to turn isn't it.  Do you find it's a bit soft and requires very carefu; finishing to get rid of tool marks etc?

Cheers Dave 
Thread: Hollow Turning
28/04/2009 12:51:15
Be interested to see what you get Ralph.  

I'm fortunate to be working and bought mine when I had spare funds and it was on offer at a show.   This is usually when I buy things on the basis I'll want to use it when I don't have funds.  

I also use my Rolly for hollowing vases as it's much easier than using a gouge.

It makes great shavings!

Cheers Dave 
Thread: Gas Wand
27/04/2009 12:17:36
Thanks everyone for your input.  I think Alan and Richard have it right.  Malc I rememebr teh gas pokers and this is much smaller.
Cheers Dave
Thread: Daves Lighthouse Puzzle
27/04/2009 12:14:51
Thanks evrybody for your good wishes.  There are two things wrong with it - the top piece isn't quite the right shape and I could have drilled the holes in the column better.  Will do better next time!

Cheers Dave 
Thread: Woodex 09
27/04/2009 12:13:06
Thanks for all teh congratulations.

I echo Ralph's views,  It was great to meet up and the standard of all teh entries was excellent in turning, carving, toy making, furniture etc.

From what I've seen we should all be entering!  It was also good to see some youger people entering and winning.

Cheers Dave 
Thread: Looking for books
24/04/2009 12:47:36
Hi Pat

Try The technique of furniture making by ernest joyce, revised by Alan Peters.  If you go to Amzon and search under Joyce furniture making you;ll get this up and then if you click on that you;ll get lots of others that may well suit, including one on practical design, solution and strtegies by fine woordworking

hope that helps

Cheers Dave
Thread: Name the wood?
24/04/2009 12:38:03
Hi Richard, I think it might be ash as well.

Cheers Dave
Thread: Gas Wand
24/04/2009 12:36:47
Hi everybody

On the AWGB (Association of Woodturners of Great Britain) forum we have a post about this "gas wand".  We've got some info from a museum in Australia and it seems that it  was used in a domestic situation to light gas burners.  We also know that they were made by a firm called Mendel in preston, lancs but they are no longer in business.  The handle is made from bakelite or similar early plastic.

Can anyone tell us how it worked.  It would seem that you lit a filament but no-one can tell us how.

over to you.  Cheers Dave

Thread: Threaded Acorn Box Part 4 (final Part)
23/04/2009 22:00:11
Thanks George for your kind comments.  Good luck with it.  

Cheers Dave 
23/04/2009 21:39:36
Thanks Alan - horrrible pun though!!!

Dave 
Thread: Woodex 09
23/04/2009 21:37:21
Ralph - that's spooky - I've just got back having left 3 pieces there and spotted yours.  I was going to get in touch and i spotted your thread.

Looks like we'll have to share the prizes between us!!

I'm going on Sunday so perhaps I'll bump into you when collecting our pieces.

Good luck - they look great.

Cheers Dave 

Thread: Threaded Acorn Box
23/04/2009 21:33:54
Thanks Ben

Cheers Dave 
22/04/2009 22:18:43
Thanks Baz
Hamlet are now producing a "uni-chaser" - you can buy it from John berkeley ad I;m sure he'll have them this weekend at Woodex.  It is a single chase that chases both male and female threads.  It looks like the female chaser and at the moment I believe it is supplied in 16TPI.  Just being one tool, it's just one price.
Good luck with it.  
Cheers Dave
Thread: Baz's Horse Chestnut burr bowl
22/04/2009 21:29:11
Hi Baz

I;m very well mate thanks.  Been bit busy just lately!  Hoping to get some time soon to have a go at some of that burr myself.  If it comes out as good as yours I'll be well pleased. 

Ralph, I'd be a bit worried about getting a thin parting tool stuck.  I guess you must have to keep making a clearance cut.

Cheers Dave 

Thread: Woody woodpecker
22/04/2009 21:24:41
Marc - you've obviously gt the knack - look forward to seeing some more.

Cheers dave 
22/04/2009 21:21:29
Thanks fellas

I've been meanig to do it for quite a while - it's a pleasure.

Cheers Dave 
Thread: Woody woodpecker
22/04/2009 20:09:20
.Well done mate - I love it.

How long have you been at it? (carving that is!) 
Cheers Dave
22/04/2009 19:48:23
19. These are the special tools used in this project from left to right the armrest used when forming female threads.  The female and then the male chasers, the point tool ad finally the relieving tool used to create the recess at the back of the female thread.

20. I use the Beall buffing system (from the Toolpost) on these small boxes.  The first stick to be used is on the left Tripoli which acts as a mild abrasive, the middle an even finer abrasive and lastly on the right carnauba wax.  I put the pigtail in a Jacobs chuck which is securely held in my chuck.  Only use the area around 7 oclock on the buffing wheel and keep tight hold!  (otherwise the bits will fly all over the workshop yes Ive done that too!!!)

21. Heres the final item all screwed together.

22. And finally in two pieces.

Enjoy!

Cheers Dave 

Edited By sparky on 22/04/2009 20:25:47

Thread: Threaded Acorn Box Part 3
22/04/2009 19:46:06
13. Here the thread is completed and waxed.

14.And the base fits!

15.Now its a simple matter of shaping and sanding the base and starting to shape the acorn bit.

16. Now for the final thread, using the scrap left in the chuck (having parted the acorn off) create a recess that can be threaded so that the acorn can be finished.

17. Here the threads are just being formed.  Note the recess at the back of the area being threaded this enables the chaser to go to the end of the thread and removed before it hits the back wall.

18. The acorn is screwed into the scrap and then it can be finished and sanded.

Part 4 to follow (it's the last part)
Cheers Dave  

Edited By sparky on 22/04/2009 20:27:40

Thread: Threaded Acorn Box Part 2
22/04/2009 19:40:31
7.  I use an armrest (see later for a better view of the tools) and here you can see how the female chaser is held on the armrest.  Using a clockwise circular motion the chaser on brought into contact with the chamfer the lathe speed is about 400 450 rpm.  A light kiss is all that is needed, keep repeating the motion and the kiss and run the chaser all the way to the end.  It is quite easy to do this with this box as there is no back wall to hit.

8.  Heres another view of the chaser and its position relative to the box.  Dont use the leading tooth of the chaser until the thread is established.

9.  Continue with the action and gradually the threads will start to form.  Dont think about it!!  Magic will happen and once the threads have started to form like this bring the chaser round and using the leading tooth you can chase all the way to the end.  Once the thread is complete, apply a little wax and use a toothbrush to wipe it through the threads.

10. Here Im just getting an idea of how big the spigot needs be in both length and width.  Ive also marked off the length of the acorn itself.  (Sorry its a bit blurred)

11.  Before I start making a thread, or indeed any spigot on a box I take out the inside.  Then if the wood moves, it moves before I create the spigot and the spigot will remain true.  Turn the spigot as a slope and bring the base of the acorn up to the revolving spigot.  Here you can see the shiny witness mark left by the polished threads.  This is the size of the spigot.  Turn the spigot parallel to this size and make a small recess at the shoulder so the chaser can be removed before it hits the shoulder.  If it hits the shoulder the thread will strip and youll have to make a new spigot.

12.  Set the toolrest about 12 15mm away from the spigot with the left hand end level with where you want the thread to stop when you get there you lift the chaser away from the thread.  Put a small chamfer on the spigot and with the chaser at 45 degrees to the spigot move it in a circular anti-clockwise movement and just kiss the chamfer, keep repeating this motion and the thread will start to form.  As it appears gradually move the chaser parallel to the spigot and create the full thread.

Go to Part 3 if you want to see it finished
Cheers Dave 

Edited By sparky on 22/04/2009 20:12:10

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Robert Sorby
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Marriott & Co
Craft Supplies
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Tormek
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact