By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for OldHand

Here is a list of all the postings OldHand has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Which table saw?
21/06/2010 10:50:35
Although it is rather extensive and possibly intimidating, Roger might like to look at the following when making up his mind when buying a saw, even for the simplest use:

http://tinyurl.com/2ambsye

Jeff Gorman
www.amgron.clara.net

Thread: Wood Shavings
18/12/2009 08:57:56

And have a bit of a laugh as well.

Jeff Gorman
www.amgron.clara.net

Edited By sparky on 18/12/2009 23:31:10

Thread: Bought a Record Hold Fast...
11/06/2009 09:08:43
OPj wrote:

I bought an old Record hold fast/bench cramp off eBay, which arrived this morning. One thing I''ve overlook is that the shank looks closer to 7/8" in diameter than the 3/4" holes I''m planning to drill in my bench top...

A hole in the bench top will soon wear to the extent that the cramp will be useless.

I suggest that you ask the vendor whether he/she has the flanged bush that is supplied with new Record holdfasts. The flange has three countersunk screw holes that prevent the bush from being drawn out.

I've countersunk mine so that the top of the flange is about 6mm below the surface and covered this with a beech overlay that eliminates accidental contact with the metal.

Jeff Gorman

Thread: disposing of wood shaving
14/05/2009 08:59:42
You might might find some tips, and maybe some amusement at:
http://tinyurl.com/bwlxby
on my website.

Jeff
amgron.clara.net
Thread: Shavings
21/09/2008 11:34:00

Mike Garnham wrote:

> In a perfect scenario, none of the plane sole behind the blade is in contact with the timber. The entire plane body, and the weight of the users arms, is taken on a couple of inches of steel in front of the blade on the upper step level. Unfortunately, the reality is that there is a length of plane sole (and body) between say 3 and 10 times as long as this contact patch behind the blade which is acting as a lever, with the fulcrum point being the blade. It is inevitable, 100% inevitable, that this enormous mechanical advantage will result in the rear-most point of the sole making contact with timber. This tilt will raise the front portion of the sole at an angle. <

In a perfect scenario, the plane will be a completely rigid body, yet I've found that the body of an 05 Record Jack plane can deflect when in use.

Please see : http://www.amgron.clara.net/planingpoints/bodydeflection/deflectionindex.htm 

Hence I fear that it is not 100% inevitable that the plane will tilt.

I think it also serves to contradict the suggestion that the perfect plane will replicate the machine planer set-up in which there's a step between the two tables.

Jeff Gorman 

Thread: Chisels V. Health & Safety
23/04/2008 09:09:00

A few months ago, rec.woodworking carried a report from a tradesman carver who has suffered severe damage to his hand from a lifetime's use (I think) of the base of his thumb to strike the gouge handle.

I guess that using the palm could do even more damage, and be quite painful.

Thread: Joining without Joints Part 1
29/03/2008 09:30:00
When making a judgement about any device that replaces the traditional joint, look for the short grain it introduces.
Thread: Shavings
21/09/2008 11:34:00

Mike Garnham wrote:

> In a perfect scenario, none of the plane sole behind the blade is in contact with the timber. The entire plane body, and the weight of the users arms, is taken on a couple of inches of steel in front of the blade on the upper step level. Unfortunately, the reality is that there is a length of plane sole (and body) between say 3 and 10 times as long as this contact patch behind the blade which is acting as a lever, with the fulcrum point being the blade. It is inevitable, 100% inevitable, that this enormous mechanical advantage will result in the rear-most point of the sole making contact with timber. This tilt will raise the front portion of the sole at an angle. <

In a perfect scenario, the plane will be a completely rigid body, yet I've found that the body of an 05 Record Jack plane can deflect when in use.

Please see : http://www.amgron.clara.net/planingpoints/bodydeflection/deflectionindex.htm 

Hence I fear that it is not 100% inevitable that the plane will tilt.

I think it also serves to contradict the suggestion that the perfect plane will replicate the machine planer set-up in which there's a step between the two tables.

Jeff Gorman 

Thread: Chisels V. Health & Safety
23/04/2008 09:09:00

A few months ago, rec.woodworking carried a report from a tradesman carver who has suffered severe damage to his hand from a lifetime's use (I think) of the base of his thumb to strike the gouge handle.

I guess that using the palm could do even more damage, and be quite painful.

Thread: Chair repair
06/04/2008 10:00:00

The following might be of some help?

http://www.amgron.clara.net/blunders/falsetenons.htm

Thread: Joining without Joints Part 1
29/03/2008 09:30:00
When making a judgement about any device that replaces the traditional joint, look for the short grain it introduces.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Triton
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact