By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andy Bell

Here is a list of all the postings Andy Bell has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Linseed Oil Paint
25/11/2008 12:20:00

The test with Linseed on EPDM has been successful, over three weeks and no deterioration.

I emailed holkem about compatability with sealed units. They suggest after the first coat of linseed has dried, to shellac the glazing rebates. This stops the edges of the units coming in contact with the oil. My DG units will be on 5mm plastic spaces as well. The shellac also gives the seals somthing to stick to.

Baz, I've hopefully got the seal design sorted so none gets through.

With all this in mind, and in the spirit of experiment and progress, I've got the paint and I'll give it a go.

If I've got it wrong, I'll cry, and then let you know.

Andy

Thread: Kick out the plastic
25/11/2008 12:04:00

Just in case any folks have got notifications on this thread. I've just posted some progress on the other thread Designs for up to spec box sliding sash windows

Andy

Thread: Designs for up to spec box sliding sash
25/11/2008 11:53:00

Progress report -

All the woodwork completed how. Box frame glued up.

I've used PU glue, as it goes off quick I did it in stages using grease proof paper to seperate the parts the I had to assemble but didn't want to glue. It worked well and avoided the panic I would have got myself into.

having glued it up, I then remebered I should have cut the weight pockets first.

http://www.getwoodworking.com/sites/5/images/member_albums/6764/9103_glueing_up_the_frame.jpg

I've done some tests on the compression of EPDM seals, using a mockup sealed unit in the model window. I'm going for 4mm seals squeezed to 2mm

http://www.getwoodworking.com/sites/5/images/member_albums/6764/97_4mm_seal.jpg

So I was happy to finish the sashes ready to paint and glaze.

http://www.getwoodworking.com/sites/5/images/member_albums/6764/9102_finished_sashes.jpg

All the components are now in the front room ready for first coat of linseed oil (I'll post under finishing)

As before more details on my blog http://slidingsash.blogspot.com/

Andy

Thread: Nero-1.jpg
19/11/2008 21:44:00

Even more impressive now I know the size. Can I see the madness in his eyes.

Andy

Thread: stable door
19/11/2008 14:05:00

You would likely to be cutting through joints, and it'll be seriously weakened.  Invest in a roof rack, they really can come in handy, not just for this job.

Andy

Thread: Nero-1.jpg
19/11/2008 14:01:00

Great work, What wood and how big is it?

Andy

Thread: router
17/11/2008 10:32:00

Hi Nigel, I don't lock mine off. I just use the fine adjuster, with the spring pressure against it I've not noticed any movement. I'll keep a look out now you've mentioned it.

Andy

Thread: Trend T11
31/10/2008 11:11:00

Mine gets warm occassionally hot when I've been cutting, especially on deep grooves. I've thought it quite normal. Blunt bits would make the problem worse. What kind of cuts are you making?

Andy

31/10/2008 10:57:00

Thanks for your input.

I've emailed them asking about compatability with the seals and I've got some bits of EPDM foam with Boiled Linseed on them.   

I'll let you know the results.

Andy

30/10/2008 17:24:00

It looks like there's a compatibility problem with EDPM glazing seals. I feel an experiment coming on. Good for putty though.

Andy

30/10/2008 15:58:00

Mike, I've just posted a thread under finishing. I'm sure thoughts on this will come in for other projects.

Update to like above www.holkhamlinseedpaints.co.uk takes you straight to paints

Andy Bell wrote (see)
30/10/2008 15:44:00

Progressing my window build, I've got to make a decision on the finish. 

I thought it a good idea to post under Finishing. This follows on from the thread

Andy Bell wrote (see)

Thanks Mike.

I'll look in to the Sadolin. The paint I was originally going to go for was "International" 10 yr Gloss, microporus. I've used this on some timber guttering but not had 10 yrs to test it yet.

The linseed paint I was looking at is from www.holkhamlinseedpaints.co.uk , they claim "year seven, a coat of warm raw linseed oil to rejuvenate and nourish, year 14 one coat of paint".

If I can trust this to be true it's a serious contender. If you get chance, have a look and let me know what you think.

Cheers Andy

I've been looking at www.holkhamlinseedpaints.co.uk who supply a range of linseed oil paints, the marketing blurb sounds very convincing, but can I trust it?

I like the idea of a natural product, 7yrs before a recoat, nourishing the wood etc. 

Has anyone got any experience of it?

Cheers Chaps - and Lasses

Andy

30/10/2008 15:25:00

Thanks Mike.

I'll look in to the Sadolin. The paint I was originally going to go for was "International" 10 yr Gloss, microporus. I've used this on some timber guttering but not had 10 yrs to test it yet.

The linseed paint I was looking at is from www.holkham.co.uk , they claim "year seven, a coat of warm raw linseed oil to rejuvenate and nourish, year 14 one coat of paint".

If I can trust this to be true it's a serious contender. If you get chance, have a look and let me know what you think.

Cheers Andy

30/10/2008 11:19:00

The window's coming along, most of the woodworking is done now. I'll be ordering the hardware and the sealed units soon. I'm also looking in to using linseed oil paints.

http://www.getwoodworking.com/sites/5/images/member_albums/6764/82_all_together.jpg

http://www.getwoodworking.com/sites/5/images/member_albums/6764/81_horns.jpg

I've learnt a lot building this one, I'm sure the rest of them will be much quicker.

Thread: Quick surfacing jig
21/10/2008 10:02:00

After mentioning I had to put a slope on my window cill in a previous thread. Here's how I enden up doing it

http://www.getwoodworking.com/sites/5/images/member_albums/6764/54_cill_surface_1.jpg

http://www.getwoodworking.com/sites/5/images/member_albums/6764/55_cill_surface_2.jpg

http://www.getwoodworking.com/sites/5/images/member_albums/6764/57_cill_surface_4.jpg

The timber had a bit of a twist in it to start with, so the wedges are there to level it up

Thread: I am thinking of creating a website.......any suggestions?
15/10/2008 12:23:00

I'll have to come out the woodwork a bit here, marketing and photography is how I make my money (mostly for construction related manufacturers, so not much money at the moment).

First thing to do is research. Put yourself in the clients shoes , cash rich looking for quality, interior designers that have found the clients. How would they come across your site? Pretend to be them search around and see what your competitors are doing, if anything.

I agree, Blogs can be useful, you can tell the stories of successful comissions etc. Keep it personable, they are buying the services of a master craftsman! not just furniture. Encourage the web versions of "word of mouth".  I've been using Blogger for my first forays and found it easy. Social networking sites, Facebook etc. can also be a good place to get yourself known.

A simple gallery based website could be a start, to have have something you can point to as a portfolio. I'd be tempted to keep it simple, express the fact you are craftsman not a slick webdesigner. There are easy to use, reasonable packages out there I think. I sub-contract out any webwork I get but I did put together www.agbimages.co.uk . I'm a bit embassed now that I paid very little attention to quality of photography I've posted on here.

Most journals have web sites now eg. www.[b]houseandgarden[/b].co.uk  get to knowwhat their readers are looking to read about and see if you can get some free PR. 

Good luck with it

Andy

Thread: Planer fence past 45 degrees?
10/10/2008 10:32:00

Mike, Thanks I'll have a look at the angles and see how big the flat will be. If I can get away with the flat, it sound like a winner.

Andy

09/10/2008 10:51:00

Good to see it worked out, thanks for testing the idea.

I've got to make the cills for my windows shortly and was thinking of similar to make the slope.  Problem is going to be, I want an upstand of about 5mm at the top of the slope, I'm still pondering how to do it.

Andy

Thread: help
08/10/2008 10:39:00

Hi Nigel,

My router is a Trend 11 (same as yours by the looks) The extension however is  Record Power, supplied with the router table.  It looks exactly the same as one in your pictures, so I thought you had the Record Power extension as well.

Is everyone happy with CMT extensions? At £27.50 from axminster it looks good value. The Trend one around £50 as is the Dakota from Rutlands (but tht has a 1/4" adapator as well).  

Andy

Thread: Planer fence past 45 degrees?
07/10/2008 22:56:00

You could try a batton screwed on the the oposite face that would give you the 34 degrees across to the left hand corner, flip it over and send it through a thicknesser.

Andy

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tool Post
Tormek
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact