By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andy Bell

Here is a list of all the postings Andy Bell has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Planer/thicknesser or planer and thicknesser
27/09/2010 14:56:13
Andy, I've got a Woodstar that looks very similar to Axminster planer thicknesser. I've reviewed mine and come to the conclusion it's OK for the money. It does have it's faults but there are workarounds.  Hopefully the Axminster version has addressed the problems, but the review might give you some pointers for what to check.

I agree with Richard, the same money will buy more quality second hand. 

Andy

Thread: cupped timber
08/07/2010 12:52:35
I'd start by acclimatising the parts to the condtions (moisture content) where the table will be going. 

If it's been broken a while, the bits may have been stored in a shed or garage (more damp than centrally heated house). Resulting in the cupping.

Andy 
Thread: Hardwood suppliers
06/07/2010 13:48:26
Hi All,
If anyone in the Derbyshire / South Yorkshire area is prepared to think ahead, I might be able to help eventually.  I've mentioned location because I have notions of sustainability, carbon etc.  If you're not so close, your thoughts will be gratefully thrown in the mix. 

I'm likely to be felling some Ash, Beech, Sycamore and maybe some Oak early next year. The plan is to mill and season it on site. So we could be looking at 2012 for workable timber.

The problem I've got at the moment is knowing what people might be looking for.

Quater sawn or straight cut?
What dimensions / lengths?
And what do you turners really prize?

I'll be working some of it myself but will have more than I need. So I want to make sure any excess is going to be useful to fellow woodworkers.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts on this to help point me in the right direction.

Cheers
Andy

Thread: Trees to Timber
28/05/2010 14:13:18
Due to planning regs we can't go mad with a cabin, It's suposed to be a temporary structure.  I'm thinking of something like a low tree house with living trees as the four corners.  We'll be under canvas untill I get round to it.

We are only aloud to spend 28 nights in there, So thats next years holidays sorted. 

First thing I've got to sort  is Toilet. I've found out women aren't keen on doing the proverbial Bear impressions. I've come across whats called a "Tree Bog". All the doings are rapidly absorbed in to the ground and taken up by willow planted around it.

I'll keep a lookout for the cubs/kits.

Cheers
Andy

PS. Anyone got a quality Chainsaw going cheap?

or do they all go VRRRROOMMMM
27/05/2010 15:44:58
Cheers Guys,

I think I could quite happily spend most of my life in there. I might get few nights camping next week (kids off school), we'll be badger watching.

Marc, Great minds and all that. We've picked a spot for cabin, just need to feel some little sycamore.  We'll lose a bit more light when the full foliage is out, should keep the brambles down.

Alan, I've always fancied being a bodger, so no doubt I'll be giving it a go some time. More down to earth than the stair newel.

I'm near Chesterfield, Derbyshire. 
I'll keep you posted If any of the little ventures get of the ground, or even if they dont.

At the moment we're still at phase of wondering about  enjoying it and thinking about the possibilities.

Andy   

21/05/2010 11:09:39
I've taken a massive and unexpected plundge.
Me and the Wife have bought a 7 1/4 acre wood. We both loved the idea and went ahead.
The possibilities for what we can do in there and with it seem almost endless.

Over time I will be managing it and extracting some timber. I've got a hell of a lot to learn.  One thing I do know is we need to do some thinning first by taking out the larch. Next some oak, beech and sycamore.

I hope to be able to mill it on site and put the excess up for sale.
One of things I'll have to work out is what size timber is most valued by woodworkers. Boat builders etc.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts.

Cheers Andy

Edited By Andy Bell on 21/05/2010 11:10:17

Edited By Andy Bell on 21/05/2010 11:13:18

Thread: Wooden Motorcycle
12/05/2010 14:50:06
You guessed it Baz, he's unmarried!
He's a joiner/builder in Ireland so a bit quiet on the work front at the moment as well.

It's one good thing to come out of the Celtic Crash.

Cheers
Andy 
11/05/2010 15:25:27
This what happened after I made a drunken bet with a friend of mine.

It took him about 700hrs and its absolutely stunning.
As soon as he gets the engine running he can have the £20.

My side of the bet was to make a trike (metal), hence a bit quiet on the woodworking front recently.

Andy
Thread: Andy's Victorian style front door
12/03/2010 11:20:41
Thanks so much for your comments, It really makes a difference to me having some feedback.
Don't hesitate to be critical as well, if there's anything you spot that could be done better/diffently.
If you want more details on anything please let me know.

Oddjob, the fox wedge jig is on Part 3.  and Joe, The raised panel video -

Videoing - It really makes me think about what I'm doing and the processes and steps involved. After sorting out pointing my whole head in the right direction its not too bad to use. Talking though is something else, loads of out takes, my mouth keeps saying the wrong words and I forget what things are called.
Anyway it served as a good practice job as I intend covering the next window build in a similar fashion.

Thanks Andy
Thread: Spindle Moulder
15/02/2010 19:05:05
I've got woodstar bench saw and a planer thicknesser. They've done ok so far for the money but I did have to fettle them up, adjust etc. to get them running right and true. The instructions where useless and had to figure it all out myself.

Good luck with it
Andy
Thread: oriental strand board
15/02/2010 18:56:01
Off the wall idea, Siloxane based repelant.

More comonly used on brick and stone. It will soak in well and it's clear and breathable.

Andy
Thread: Solid Oak fire surround?
26/10/2009 16:24:12
Posted by Mike Jordan on 23/10/2009 20:20:25:

You are right to be worried about six inch thick oak moving/ shrinking.
The chances of you finding properly seasoned oak in this thickness are not good.

I concur with Mike.

A good craftsman should be able to design something with thinner sections that are able to move but restrained from warping.  I'm planning on Oak surround to an open fire so I've got some thinking to do on this

Andy
Thread: wood burning stoves.....
26/10/2009 16:06:58
Steady on the addatives, you'll be burning potentially toxic chemicals on your own doorstep.
I think commercially they make pellets just with compression. The cells break down, releasing "juice" to bind it.  You'll need a heck of a lot of presure though, start thinking hydraulics.
If its to get rid of your waste it might be worth it, but to keep you warm over the winter, big off cutts and well seasoned logs are the cheapest and easiest.

Andy 
Thread: 1000 year old oak
26/10/2009 15:46:58
A base to keep it upright, a shelf on top to make a plinth. You might whant to add another piece behind it to increase the 60mm.  This could make a fasinating conversation piece of contempory funiture,  put a lamp, sculpture or something like that on it. 
A virtually non destuctive idea?

Andy 
Thread: Common Furniture beetle larvae
21/09/2009 22:39:38
I'm impressed Marc.

On the treatment side I'm using Borax and keeping the moisture levels down. Thats the plan.

Andy

Thread: Cabin Bed
21/09/2009 20:48:10
Though I'd best point out to avoid confusion - Birch ply will be just a bit lighter in colour to "redwood" (pine),  I'm sure Rodger meant a red wood.
Have you considered using a dye on softwood legs to give a contrast.

I used birch ply for my spiral stair treads, the edges finish well, much better than standard ply.

Andy
Thread: reclaimed oak panneling c/w woodworm
21/09/2009 20:00:23
Yes the worm is active, I've knocked out "holy" pannels and cut off any really bad bits.
I had a dig around in one of the plywood pannels and found this...

As far as I can tell it's the larvae of a common furniture beatle. By the way its next to a pin head  not a nail.

I feel an experiment with the Borax coming on 
17/09/2009 11:46:40
A quick update, I bought 1kg of Borax £17.95 enough to make up 10 litres. With a few drops of washing up liquid it soaks in easily. I can see on the surface crystals have formed. The solution sould have soaked into all the nooks and cranies and I should get two cracks at the little beggers. Once as they emerge as adults and a second time if any eggs hatch and the little un's start nibbling in. On top of that the humidity level should be too low for them.

I've treated half the pannels so far and transfered them to the living room for storage untill I get round to doing something more with them.

25/08/2009 14:00:29
Nice one Roger,
I think that could be the perfect solution.
Cheers
Andy
24/08/2009 12:24:39
Thanks for all your coments, I'm a little less confident now. However I'll try and convince myself.

Aparently beetles need a moisture level over 12% to survive. Although my house isn't modern It is heated and dry. Where its going against external walls, moisture condensation could be problem. I could insulate behind it. I wonder what 12% moisture content is like and what levels are in the room at the moment, do I need to buy a meter?

Borax, I've read, is safe for humans with no fumes. Its a water soluable mineral salt, the beetles are suposed to die when they ingest wood that has been treated. The info I've read on this is all from the sellers of Borax on the internet, I would like some independent confirmation but at the moment I'm take it on trust.

TV over the fire place, I'd not considered the heat problem, I'll have a re-think about that.

Andy 
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Tormek
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact