By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Victor Hamshoo

Here is a list of all the postings Victor Hamshoo has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Powerfix chisels
14/12/2010 20:23:01
It is true 'you get what you pay for', but like most ordinary folks I've had to do almost everything in my life on a budget (I know, get the violins out etc) but its true, I've always bought low standard items because their in my buying range , but now in my 'golden years' I/my daughter is going to treat me
14/12/2010 19:19:54
Posted by Oddjob on 19/07/2010 18:06:14:
If I was choosing between the Stanley set of 5 for £25 or the Narex set of 6 for £45 I would certainly splash out on the Narex ones.

Richard

You've convinced me Richard, not been on here for a while due to ill health, lot of catching up to do, yep Mathew Platt Sir a set of Narex for £45 is what my daughter is going to treat me to for Christmas some quality pieces for a change (well for me anyway) lol , how do I order them ?

Thread: Cutting a deep, narrow slit in a long shaft
13/10/2010 18:06:46
Whoops that did'nt turn into a 'linky', ?????
13/10/2010 18:04:41
Why not send a PM to an expert Simon, try these guys I'm sure they'd be more than happy to help

http://www.getwoodworking.com/forums/postings.asp?th=39966
29/07/2010 18:38:23
Many thanks for all the replies guys and especialy to Mathew for the links and photos of those wonderfull chisels (Think Narex has won the toss), wellI must say I cant help myself when it comes to a bargain-decided to throw caution to the wind again and bought some spiral auger bits from Lidl-no money wasted this time thankfully-they're really good and cut well-I would recommend them actually

Jim
Thread: Dennis's first Craft Fair
11/07/2010 21:36:42
It makes me wonder, now that we are in a recession, will all the oldie worldie crafts come to the fore, you know-the 'make do and mend' type of ethos that came to the surface post WW2, I personaly think most of our society are gonna turn back to 'things that last' rather than the throw-away-tat that we have been, well, throwing away into land fills etc
just my opinion
oh, and keep ploddding Dennis, your stuff looks amazing

Jim
11/07/2010 21:23:10
A wee update, I re-honed the edge with a micro-bevel to 30 degrees, this has improved the cut slightly, so all is not lost-they do open paint tins nicely too , thanks for the info guys, I'll have a look for Ashley Iles ones Baz, thank you

Jim
11/07/2010 11:31:46
I hear ya Richard-lesson learned , gonna have a browse thru Axminsters website for some, think I'll pick them up as I go along rather than buy a set, thanks for your reply

Jim
10/07/2010 19:28:05
I bought a set of 'power-fix' chisels from my fave  (that will come in handy shop ) Lidl, they are made of, or at least stamped 'chrome vanadium' they dont seem to hold a good edge-are they crap?, is chr/vad a good material for cutting tools?, can anyone suggest a decent chisel maker (not too pricey)

Jim
Thread: What are these used for?
01/07/2010 17:07:58
Toilet light pulls ?
Thread: Gap filling glue
25/06/2010 16:22:25
Thanks for the info guys and cheers Big Al, that resin is exactly what I'm looking for-and it mixes with water so no messing with little tubes of hardener-brilliant, thanks for the link to 'Aladins cave' too
24/06/2010 23:05:27
cheers Baz and thanks for a reply, Polyurethane, I'll have a look out for that, would Wickes or Homebase sell this, or is it a professional glue product?
24/06/2010 20:15:48
I have had a go at making a couple of planters for a friends garden, the joints are simple hand sawn finger joints (very rustic and also very loose), can anyone suggest a gap filling glue that will tighten these joints up?, they are out on my friends patio at the mo, but during winter thay will be in a conservatory, so they will get wet now and again-but wont be out all weathers !
thanks in advance for any advice
Jim
Thread: Which table saw?
12/06/2010 16:08:19
Thanks for the reply John, I realise they are a DIY type of tool and agree with you on the price being a bit high, yep its definately the space issue with me, I thought about a bench-top saw, but as the triton is 'table-like' I thought it would be better for accuracy. It does look like a tool you'd have to spend a bit of time on set up each time you switched 'mode', appreciate your honest appraisal.

Jim
Thread: cement truck
11/06/2010 19:41:10
Hi Robert thats a very nice piece, extremely well proportioned and a charm to look at, as an ex construction worker (360' tracked excavator driver) the one comment I'd like to make is:
on a real 'Jaueger' the widest part of the mixing drum is a 'track' that if looking at the rear of the truck-there would be a 'double-roller' on either side of the truck bed, which this track runs (is bearing on), its not a criticism in any form just an observation which I hope doesn't offend, as is not intended

Jim

Edited By Victor Hamshoo on 11/06/2010 19:42:16

Thread: Which table saw?
06/06/2010 19:44:20
I took a look on the Axminster site and couldn't see this model you've mentioned Roger ???, I've been looking at the Triton workcentre 2000, does anyone on here own one?
Thread: Newbie alert
06/06/2010 18:29:39
Hello all and thank you for the warm welcome, I dont think I'm going to have any pics to post for a while, still picking up tools (probably as exciting as actually doing anything constructive with them ), and kitting out my 8x12 shed (anyone selling a Tardis? )

Jim.
05/06/2010 15:45:47
Hi all, complete novice here, cant find a place to post an intro, so thought I'd put it in here, hope thats ok, as I'm a newbie I will be mostly 'lurking', and will jump in with the odd question now and again.

Jim
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D B Keighley
Tool Post
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact