By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Elaine

Here is a list of all the postings Elaine has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Magazine Storage
03/03/2008 21:15:00
I use 2" three ring binders ($3.00 USD), I buy them by the carton to get the lower price, I've seen them up to $6 and $7) and became tired of having to punch holes in the magazines that aren't prepunched (one or two came that way). My punch wouldn't always rise high enough to take the back in due to the advertisements. I tried the magazine slip, but except for the front cover, accessing was a pain. This does do what it is supposed to do, keeps dust, etc away from the magazine. Plus side, magazines are kept very clean. I found a product on the internet that is a plastic tab which holds the magazine and can be put into the three ring binder this was around Christmas, made by Rubbermaid and cheapest I could find was $3.50 (USD) a dozen. Well around the middle of Feb, a friend of a friend told me about some old tools for cheap. They were in great condition as well. The woodworker had developed health problems, hated to see them go. After a two hour conversation about the advantages to use this hobby to both relieve stress and make money, I ended up with hundreds of magazines. I found a few published the month and year I was born! And yes that was before man landed on the moon. Back to the Internet and the things have gone up in price. This time I found them under the Baumgarten's name the stock number is JT-9000. They are exactly like the Rubbermaid product and both were made in China. The price was about $4.25 (USD) and the shipping was free as I purchased, well let's say A LOT. I take the time to find the exact center where the staples come through. I'm hoping that the wire will take some of the stress off of the plastic and not cut into the magazine itself. The older magazines didn't have staples or wires to hold them together, not sure if they'll last. The two inch binders hold a year of most magazines, some magazines are thin enough that they hold two years. I am somewhat obsessive -I use a dymo label and label the back with the magazine name, year and issues. I have the Issue index on cd or I access the magazines website's index. I remember a site with plans to make your own binder or magazine rack out of wood. Haven't been able to find it again. There's a plan you can purchase at http://www.woodstore.net/magazinebinder.html Elaine
Thread: sawdust etc.
29/02/2008 01:16:00
On the other side of the pond...During the Winter I use the chips and shavings to start fires in the fireplace. Spring through Fall, I mix everything with yard waste to compost it back into the soil. I mix it with grass clippings, leaves, etc.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Robert Sorby
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Craft Supplies
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact