By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Julian Hatcliffe

Here is a list of all the postings Julian Hatcliffe has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Kity 619 cabinet saw
29/02/2008 17:35:00

Hi Andy

The mitre fence bar responded to the treatment!

The Kity 619 fence is more complicated...there is no adjustment possible with the extrusion...simply bolt holes! I've discovered that by packing out one of the lugs on the housing that sits on the track extrusion at the edge of the saw, the angle of the fence can be adjusted accurately, so I thinks this calls for a little careful filing on the opposite lug to compensate for the inaccuracy!

Many thanks for pointing me in the right directions!

Julian

Thread: Intl. Woodworking Exhibition
29/02/2008 17:29:00

We all know that UK prices for every consumer product are far higher than is 'fair'...of course, retailers have legitimate costs + reasonable profit...

There are times when friends and I simply import directly from the USA...where sometimes prices are 50% of the UK prices...but you have to do your sums with transport, exchange rates and know which goods attract VAT/import duty etc.

And sometimes, looking at retailers via Amazon or Ebay can deliver even better deals!

18/02/2008 13:15:00

Andy

Yes it was! You always have to 'arrange the furniture' if you want to take a good photo!

I've had an awful cold through the end of last week - hopefully I'll try out your suggestions later this week!

Julian

15/02/2008 08:40:00

Hi Andy,

Many thanks for your kind response. I will try both methods and feedback to you.

I hope the photos of the new Festool router and yourself were successful at Alexandra Palace on Saturday!

Kind regards

Julian

(PS If this message has been duplicated, my apologies, I'm not sure if my first attempt was successful!)

14/02/2008 12:23:00

I've just begun to use my Kity 619 which has been in 'cold-storage' ever since I bought it some years ago.

Two requests: Firstly, the splendid looking fence which fits on to a solid casting is a few degrees out of true...am I missing an obvious adjustment and has anyone else in the past found a solution?

Secondly, the small mitre fence is slightly slack in its track which gives a slight +/- result when cutting which obviously gives for inaccuracy. Any solutions apart from putting in a new bar?

14/02/2008 12:04:00

I visited the show on the Saturday and the car park was far less busy than in previous years.

If the number of visitors and sales is falling, then the future of the show is precarious. There is always the risk of market saturation and also far fewer new people coming into the hobby generation fewer sales/less interest etc. as we become more of an entertainment culture. Sad really, since there is far greater satisfaction in being creative than just being a couch potato!

There is always a good atmosphere at the show, whether or not one purchases items. Advice and demonstrations area always free!

My thanks go to BriMarc, and I think it was Dave, who was happy to give me a complete Leigh dovetail jig demonstration which has given me the confidence to get my Leigh into operation.

Thanks also to Frank Howard (www.frankhoward.co.uk) selling Metabo/Festool etc. I bought a Metabo Powermaxx which had a problem. I e.mailed them on Monday and had a replacement on Wednesday along with compensatory gift. No fuss, just service. Thank you.

Another company over-charged me for an item which is still being discussed. I'll update this later!

As for show prices, a friend and I always take current catalogues/price lists with us to check if a deal really is a good deal!

29/02/2008 17:35:00

Hi Andy

The mitre fence bar responded to the treatment!

The Kity 619 fence is more complicated...there is no adjustment possible with the extrusion...simply bolt holes! I've discovered that by packing out one of the lugs on the housing that sits on the track extrusion at the edge of the saw, the angle of the fence can be adjusted accurately, so I thinks this calls for a little careful filing on the opposite lug to compensate for the inaccuracy!

Many thanks for pointing me in the right directions!

Julian

29/02/2008 17:29:00

We all know that UK prices for every consumer product are far higher than is 'fair'...of course, retailers have legitimate costs + reasonable profit...

There are times when friends and I simply import directly from the USA...where sometimes prices are 50% of the UK prices...but you have to do your sums with transport, exchange rates and know which goods attract VAT/import duty etc.

And sometimes, looking at retailers via Amazon or Ebay can deliver even better deals!

18/02/2008 13:15:00

Andy

Yes it was! You always have to 'arrange the furniture' if you want to take a good photo!

I've had an awful cold through the end of last week - hopefully I'll try out your suggestions later this week!

Julian

15/02/2008 08:40:00

Hi Andy,

Many thanks for your kind response. I will try both methods and feedback to you.

I hope the photos of the new Festool router and yourself were successful at Alexandra Palace on Saturday!

Kind regards

Julian

(PS If this message has been duplicated, my apologies, I'm not sure if my first attempt was successful!)

14/02/2008 12:23:00

I've just begun to use my Kity 619 which has been in 'cold-storage' ever since I bought it some years ago.

Two requests: Firstly, the splendid looking fence which fits on to a solid casting is a few degrees out of true...am I missing an obvious adjustment and has anyone else in the past found a solution?

Secondly, the small mitre fence is slightly slack in its track which gives a slight +/- result when cutting which obviously gives for inaccuracy. Any solutions apart from putting in a new bar?

14/02/2008 12:04:00

I visited the show on the Saturday and the car park was far less busy than in previous years.

If the number of visitors and sales is falling, then the future of the show is precarious. There is always the risk of market saturation and also far fewer new people coming into the hobby generation fewer sales/less interest etc. as we become more of an entertainment culture. Sad really, since there is far greater satisfaction in being creative than just being a couch potato!

There is always a good atmosphere at the show, whether or not one purchases items. Advice and demonstrations area always free!

My thanks go to BriMarc, and I think it was Dave, who was happy to give me a complete Leigh dovetail jig demonstration which has given me the confidence to get my Leigh into operation.

Thanks also to Frank Howard (www.frankhoward.co.uk) selling Metabo/Festool etc. I bought a Metabo Powermaxx which had a problem. I e.mailed them on Monday and had a replacement on Wednesday along with compensatory gift. No fuss, just service. Thank you.

Another company over-charged me for an item which is still being discussed. I'll update this later!

As for show prices, a friend and I always take current catalogues/price lists with us to check if a deal really is a good deal!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Tormek
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact